Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch NZGR


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: OK you front stuffers

  1. #16
    Gone But Not Forgotten Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know
    Posts
    11,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Matamata Rooters Club..

    @Gibo wouldn't be allowed in the door ... @Toby either with that face on !!
    VIVA LA HOWA

  2. #17
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    17,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Matamata Rooters Club..

    @Gibo wouldn't be allowed in the door ... @Toby either with that face on !!
    Not many rootable in Matamata so not offended much Happy
    Werawhakaui?

    Rule 4. Identify your target beyond all doubt.

  3. #18
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    24,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    I thought one M might be musket...if it was a 'mounted', wouldn't they have a horse in it as well?
    Not sure. It would not be easy on something that small. Where did you get it?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  4. #19
    Gone But Not Forgotten Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know
    Posts
    11,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Spook I am only guessing here but it may not be related to a club and could possibly be military in origin. The last three letters MRC could be relative to a mounted rifle corps. Not sure what the first M would be. Could just be a province of a country (e.g. Manawatu).
    Maori mounted rifle corps?
    Gibo likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

  5. #20
    Member Spook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mt Motutapere/Northern Alps
    Posts
    2,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Matamata Rooters Club..

    @Gibo wouldn't be allowed in the door ... @Toby either with that face on !!
    I thought anyone with a tongue like that would get in anywhere
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

  6. #21
    Member Spook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mt Motutapere/Northern Alps
    Posts
    2,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Maori mounted rifle corps?
    Or if from Wairoa...Munted Maori Race Cars
    Toby likes this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

  7. #22
    Member Spook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mt Motutapere/Northern Alps
    Posts
    2,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Matamata Rooters Club..

    @Gibo wouldn't be allowed in the door ... @Toby either with that face on !!
    If that was the case then my badge would only have a derringer on it
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

  8. #23
    Resident Curmudgeon Kiwi Sapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Jaffasville
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Spook I am only guessing here but it may not be related to a club and could possibly be military in origin. The last three letters MRC could be relative to a mounted rifle corps. Not sure what the first M would be. Could just be a province of a country (e.g. Manawatu).
    I concur that it is a club, specifically a rifle club; hence the last two letters R.C. and the two crossed long arms. That leaves us with the M.M. and I doubt whether "Mounted" was one of the words as "mounted" when linked with the firearms and the military implies "mounted rifles" and as a military unit, they would not be a club. It appears that the long arms are muzzle loaders but again, I doubt if "muzzle" is either one of the words as it would be in conflict with the "rifle club"
    I have googled NZ towns and perused A.W.Reid's, "Place Names Of New Zealand" but failed to find any locality which I could expect to be M.M.
    Conclusion a rifle club badge, (as the OP described it as a badge") but not for a New Zealand club.
    It would be interesting to see the reverse as there may be a makers name. What is puzzling is that the base circle, long arms and "foliage" appear to be a stamping, but the letters MMRC are an engraving. Possibly a modification of a military button that is a one off jewellers handiwork, not a badge maker's product, which is why I would like to see the reverse..
    It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.

  9. #24
    Member sako75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Supercity
    Posts
    4,357
    Mickey Mouse Rifle Club?

    Sorry, I started Googling it and got side tracked on some cool stuff

  10. #25
    Member Spook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mt Motutapere/Northern Alps
    Posts
    2,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    I concur that it is a club, specifically a rifle club; hence the last two letters R.C. and the two crossed long arms. That leaves us with the M.M. and I doubt whether "Mounted" was one of the words as "mounted" when linked with the firearms and the military implies "mounted rifles" and as a military unit, they would not be a club. It appears that the long arms are muzzle loaders but again, I doubt if "muzzle" is either one of the words as it would be in conflict with the "rifle club"
    I have googled NZ towns and perused A.W.Reid's, "Place Names Of New Zealand" but failed to find any locality which I could expect to be M.M.
    Conclusion a rifle club badge, (as the OP described it as a badge") but not for a New Zealand club.
    It would be interesting to see the reverse as there may be a makers name. What is puzzling is that the base circle, long arms and "foliage" appear to be a stamping, but the letters MMRC are an engraving. Possibly a modification of a military button that is a one off jewellers handiwork, not a badge maker's product, which is why I would like to see the reverse..
    Give me a moment and I will take photo
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

  11. #26
    Resident Curmudgeon Kiwi Sapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Jaffasville
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    I found the badge with two of these, so maybe military
    Attachment 20021
    Badge of the 9th (Wellington East Coast Rifles) Regiment. Regiment was renamed in 27 March 1914 as the 9 th (Hawkes Bay) Regiment. with headquarters at Napier.

    As you have two, I suspect they are collar badges as opposed to a larger hat badge.
    Last edited by Kiwi Sapper; 05-02-2014 at 03:43 PM.
    It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.

  12. #27
    Member Spook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mt Motutapere/Northern Alps
    Posts
    2,063
    Stamped STGSIL...which I guess is sterling silver
    Name:  IMG_1229.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  307.1 KB
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

  13. #28
    Member Spook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mt Motutapere/Northern Alps
    Posts
    2,063
    It is not missing a piece on the right...that is the pin pointing up and stuffing up the focus
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

  14. #29
    Member Spook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mt Motutapere/Northern Alps
    Posts
    2,063
    should have looked like this
    Name:  IMG_1230.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  314.0 KB
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

  15. #30
    Member Spook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mt Motutapere/Northern Alps
    Posts
    2,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    Badge of the 9th (Wellington East Coast Rifles) Regiment. Regiment was renamed in 27 March 1914 as the 9 th (Hawkes Bay) Regiment. with headquarters at Napier.

    As you have two, I suspect they are collar badges as opposed to a larger hat badge.
    Thanks for that information...badges are 45mm high X 40mm wide
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. A1 AR15 Gas block Front site
    By sick338 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2013, 02:33 PM
  2. Ruger 10/22 front barrel clamp needed
    By Malhunting in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 24-10-2013, 03:51 PM
  3. Don't waste the front wheels
    By Druid in forum Game Cooking and Recipes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-08-2013, 08:28 AM
  4. Pre front hunt
    By Mike H in forum Game Bird Hunting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 27-05-2013, 11:27 AM
  5. Roast Front Wheels
    By gadgetman in forum Game Cooking and Recipes
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 26-02-2013, 06:12 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!