Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch NZGR


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Help Offered – Range Contamination

  1. #1
    MIA somewhere in Nam 300CALMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Reluctantly JAFA
    Posts
    2,422

    Help Offered – Range Contamination

    Well here we go. I understand that there are a few shooting clubs out there that may be having some issues with their Council over lead contamination. Yes it’s come up a few times recently and is yet another stick that “They” use to beat us the shooting community.

    I have been around in the contaminated land field for a fair while and so have decided that maybe I can help out. The best way I can do this is probably offering free advice. So ask away or PM me if you want.

    Unfortunately it’s no laughing matter, the Boys Town range was conveniently shut because of it and lead contamination and I fear it won’t be the last.

    Shooting range shut over lead concerns - National - NZ Herald News
    Beaker and Tommy like this.

  2. #2
    Member Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,321
    And here was me thinking you were offering to contaminate some poor buggers land
    Beaker and Steve123 like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

  3. #3
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    17,850
    Sweet, how long will it take you to pick out all the lead mate? You must be a patient bugger
    Werawhakaui?

    Rule 4. Identify your target beyond all doubt.

  4. #4
    Member Maca49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    14,210
    Lead magnet picks it up ok @Gibo
    Gibo and 300CALMAN like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  5. #5
    MIA somewhere in Nam 300CALMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Reluctantly JAFA
    Posts
    2,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Sweet, how long will it take you to pick out all the lead mate? You must be a patient bugger
    You really do miss Systolic don't you @Gibo
    Pointer, Maca49, Beaker and 1 others like this.

  6. #6
    MIA somewhere in Nam 300CALMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Reluctantly JAFA
    Posts
    2,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    And here was me thinking you were offering to contaminate some poor buggers land
    That too can be arranged...
    Beaker and Tommy like this.

  7. #7
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    17,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Lead magnet picks it up ok @Gibo
    Barracudas dont last long enough out of water bugger it
    gadgetman and Gapped axe like this.
    Werawhakaui?

    Rule 4. Identify your target beyond all doubt.

  8. #8
    MIA somewhere in Nam 300CALMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Reluctantly JAFA
    Posts
    2,422
    OK so I expected a bit of stick for this one, anyone else?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    Posts
    2,581
    Modified gold trommal, and recover the lead, melt, recast and reinsert into ground at high velocity?
    Helping 2 ways
    P38, Wirehunt and seano like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

  10. #10
    MIA somewhere in Nam 300CALMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Reluctantly JAFA
    Posts
    2,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Modified gold trommal, and recover the lead, melt, recast and reinsert into ground at high velocity?
    Helping 2 ways
    We are in Business!
    Beaker likes this.

  11. #11
    Ejected
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Shaky City
    Posts
    1,446
    Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, I return this lead to the earth from whence it came.
    mikee, Angus_A, Beaker and 2 others like this.

  12. #12
    Member stug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oxford, Canterbury
    Posts
    2,472
    Saw a video on YouTube of a guy getting the shovel and screen out and digging through the backstop for the spent projectiles, cleaned them up, melted them down and recast them.
    Beaker likes this.

  13. #13
    Member Maca49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    14,210
    There must be some seriously lead contaminated land in the UK with hundreds of years of lead shot. How serious is the situation in NZ? or is it just a perceived prob. I can understand a little the inside ranges, but thats contained and can be managed and Ive only ever know one person with diagnosed lead poisoning, did shit loads of .22 inside range shooting. I used to eat lead paint off my toys as a baby and always had my mouth full of lead slugs in my teens, made thousands of lead projectiles and my old mate has cast thousands more than me, with yearly tests for lead poisoning and never had a negative result, the doc concluded the tests were as waste of time.
    Maybe thats why my arse drags on the ground a bit these days?
    Are we just too PC?
    WallyR likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  14. #14
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    17,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    There must be some seriously lead contaminated land in the UK with hundreds of years of lead shot. How serious is the situation in NZ? or is it just a perceived prob. I can understand a little the inside ranges, but thats contained and can be managed and Ive only ever know one person with diagnosed lead poisoning, did shit loads of .22 inside range shooting. I used to eat lead paint off my toys as a baby and always had my mouth full of lead slugs in my teens, made thousands of lead projectiles and my old mate has cast thousands more than me, with yearly tests for lead poisoning and never had a negative result, the doc concluded the tests were as waste of time.
    Maybe thats why my arse drags on the ground a bit these days?
    Are we just too PC?
    Most kids chew pencils too, although not many pencils are used these days
    Werawhakaui?

    Rule 4. Identify your target beyond all doubt.

  15. #15
    Member Maca49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    14,210
    Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, I return this lead to the earth from whence it came.
    We used to have sand traps for easy recovery of the lead with a sieve
    Cordite likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 13-02-2017, 02:10 PM
  2. meth contamination
    By northdude in forum Off topic
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 24-04-2016, 01:42 PM
  3. A day at the range....
    By Wildman in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-08-2015, 07:30 PM
  4. been offered brno 22 in good condition
    By turner nz in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 14-11-2012, 07:46 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-10-2012, 02:36 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!