Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Vol Fire crew, who is one?

I get a 30% pay rise each time I rank up or upskill...

Ok, in light of what has happened in Chch and then again in Kaikoura - what if anything are you guys doing in your volunteer outfits for disaster preparedness in terms of preparing the volunteers' families so that in the SHTF situation the vollies can have confidence that their families have the resources and planning they need to get through to allow the vollies to get back out on the their patch manning the trucks?

NHQ appears to have a policy of each staff member having a sealed bucket with 3 days of medical supplies, water, food, clothing etc held at each desk, and paid stations have to hold 3-days water supply on station.

A wee bit of a difference in preparation considering that vollie stations generally have nothing in place from what I can see, and paid crews are expected to turn to with no thought to their own families...

Should we be doing more and if so, what?

We have an 80L plastic container full of canned food, vacuum packed stuff etc and medical kit as our survival pack at home but the only procedures I've seen at the station is a tsunami action plan as we are at sea level, 30m from the beach. That really only involves moving the truck to higher ground initially to protect the asset.

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Recently did four days medical training to become medical first responders, enjoy medical calls much more now I know what I'm doing
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1479753662966.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  33.3 KB

Sent from my workbench
    BRADS likes this.

Did my 1st 1 day refresher in September as part of the 16hr CCE required each year. We did day 3 again.

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Did my 1st 1 day refresher in September as part of the 16hr CCE required each year. We did day 3 again.
    there's a lot of refresher hours a? A mate that is an intensive care paramedic comes out to our station once a month for training so we'll use that as ours.

What station you at? must have been one of the first stations to do it if you've already done one refresher

After a significant event, it is expected that every person/family be self-sufficient for 3-4 day while emergency relief is organised by official organisations.
    Kaikoura is a classic example of a community isolated and been self-reliant whist the situation is analysed and appropriate resources dispatched. This takes time

When I was a Civil Defence volunteer we were told that in event of an emergency we would look after ourselves and family first before turning out and that rescue teams from outside the area would come in.
    Again Kaikoura is a classic example where in the heat of the moment the fire volunteers ran out the door while the ground was still shaking to help others when their own families were in need.

With the way NZ society is changing there are more and more who have the hand out attitude and would be dependent on help right from the outset.

there's no way I'd leave my family in need to respond to the pager call, once they were comfortable then i'd discuss responding with them.

I read about the vollies rushing to the station when it hit and my first thought was "what about their own homes and families", perhaps they were in a position to do so without a negative impact on their own family/property.

Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    there's a lot of refresher hours a? A mate that is an intensive care paramedic comes out to our station once a month for training so we'll use that as ours.

What station you at? must have been one of the first stations to do it if you've already done one refresher
    No can do with your mate. It has to be a 1st Responder CCE training. By re-doing 2 days a year (16hrs) you will have cover the requirements every 2 years

Can't tell you what brigade or it will blow my cover
    I did my course after our brigade as I was on baby sitting duties to let the wife do it. Some refreshers are day 2 and some are day 3. I found a brigade doing the day 3 refresher early to bring into alignment with our brigade

No can do with your mate. It has to be a 1st Responder CCE training. By re-doing 2 days a year (16hrs) you will have cover the requirements every 2 years

Can't tell you what brigade or it will blow my cover
    I did my course after our brigade as I was on baby sitting duties to let the wife do it. Some refreshers are day 2 and some are day 3. I found a brigade doing the day 3 refresher early to bring into alignment with our brigade
    yeah, he's bringing the course material or what ever the refresher package is.
    What i read was we need to do 8 hours refresher every six months

just done ours
    smidey likes this.
    Step on my toes I'll jump on your head

@Gapped axe @sako75
    there were some interesting discussions around the useage of the drugs and how we deal with recording of how much and which drugs we use. What did you guys come up with? Also, did you get GTN and chewable asprin as part of the pack? We didn't as it is part of the St Johns lifepack/phillips heart monitor item which we obviously didn't get.
    @sako75
    did you get your defib reconfigured to use the 3 lead?

Before administering any drug by IM or mouth you have to call the clinical desk on the 0800 number stitched on the front of the pack.
    There seems to be unlimited supply of expired drugs to practice with. We just get a 50mm crepe bandage and injected in the end then in the rubbish

Only use the 2 lead. Typical with the fire service there are no set rules from the top of the north to the bottom of the south and are made by the Area Manager

Before administering any drug by IM or mouth you have to call the clinical desk on the 0800 number stitched on the front of the pack.
    There seems to be unlimited supply of expired drugs to practice with. We just get a 50mm crepe bandage and injected in the end then in the rubbish
    yes of course, that's the process. that's not what i was referring to. What I am talking about is once you've used it, what recording is there for usage/stock purposes. Keeping track of usage so if items go "missing" it can be traced. St johns fill out their paperwork and record medicines used and restock for example.
    Only use the 2 lead. Typical with the fire service there are no set rules from the top of the north to the bottom of the south and are made by the Area Manager
    our lifepacks can be reprogrammed to show the ECG. They don't print but we can take a video on our phones to show the EMT etc what was going on before administering medicines so they can see what was going on before intervention.

Did you get GTN & chewable asprin?

Ahh hear what you are saying. There is no control over accountability for restricted drugs. We do a weekly station duty and keep a record of quantity but that is all