Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 332
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: Vol Fire crew, who is one?

  1. #16
    Member Dundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Way East of D'Vagas
    Posts
    15,505
    Name:  1479547_500319490082473_155781748_n.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  55.3 KB
    veitnamcam likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...7&font=cursive

  2. #17
    Member Pengy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Up in da hills somewhere near Nelson
    Posts
    7,245
    They left the price tags on the helmets
    Forgotmaboltagain

  3. #18
    Member possummatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    morrinsville
    Posts
    594
    Hey guys
    Me and my best mate are planning on joining the Morrinsville volunteer fire brigade. Im 16 and mates 17 just wondering what we have to do to sign up and what sorta training and that do you go through. Much appreciated.
    Hunt4life likes this.
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

  4. #19
    Member stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Delisle SK Canada
    Posts
    1,082
    here you go , all the info you could want in one hit

    New Zealand Fire Service - An Introduction to Volunteering
    Dougie likes this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

  5. #20
    Member possummatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    morrinsville
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    here you go , all the info you could want in one hit

    New Zealand Fire Service - An Introduction to Volunteering
    Cool cheers
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

  6. #21
    Member Gapped axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lake Tarawera
    Posts
    2,939
    You will get a lot out of it
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

  7. #22
    Member possummatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    morrinsville
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    You will get a lot out of it
    Yea mate . I recon itd be a bit of fun and to know that you changing lives would be pretty cool. How hard is it to become a volly, is there many positions available usually or do you just go on a waiting list? Cheers
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

  8. #23
    A Good Keen Girl Dougie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    4,552
    Ask your brigade mate, they will have the answers. You may be too young to be an operational volley but I know at my old station we had Cadets that were under the age of 18. You can do all the training, just not allowed at a real fire.

    A lot of the rural stuff is running up hills with big packs, chopping down trees and digging holes so awesome cross training for hunting!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hunt4life and possummatti like this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

  9. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    pirongia waikato
    Posts
    866
    Six years as a volley ambo here...plenty of yuck sights
    Hunt4life likes this.

  10. #25
    Member anderset20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    390
    Yep vol nzfs here in Fairlie heading towards 5 years. Love it


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  11. #26
    Member sako75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Supercity
    Posts
    4,375
    @possummatti although the black and white print says 16 years you may find that your local has a minimum age of 18. Don't take this as rejection. Fire brigades are quite complex in comparison to years gone by. We no longer sit around waiting for fires but are called to assist ambulance to all status 1 calls (CPR) and other medicals as required, storm related incidents, mobility scooters with flat batteries etc. the list is long. The Fire Service has changed from Fire to Fire and Rescue and now changing to Fire, Rescue and Emergency's.
    We have operational budgets based on the number of crew they say is our complement. To kit out a new recruit is over $2500. Your local brigade may already have a full complement.
    A brigade requires commitment. A new recruit has to complete a 2-day 1st aid course followed by a 7-day Basic and BA course in Rotorua as a minimum. All this comes at a cost so the Fire Service (and your brigade) would like to get a good 3-5 years out of you.

    The good side of joining are the skills you will learn at your age, the teamwork with people of various ages and walks in life, pushing yourself when you know that others are relying on you to complete a given task, the training they are paying for you to learn, the rush when your pager goes off and not knowing what you are going to, the social time after training or callout. That is just a few of the benefits and most of all knowing that you are only 1 of 9000 people in NZ that are doing what you do.

    Go down to your local brigade and talk to the chief. You may have to make a time as the chief or deputy chief may be busy organising the brigade training for the night. If they say there are no vacancies, ask if you could go back in a couple of weeks to tag along for a few training nights to see if been a volly is what you think it is looking from the outside. You won't get to ride in the truck but is a chance to show maturity to the officers and they may invite you to keep going.
    Remember it is a commitment you have to make as others will be reliant on you to be there for training and on a operational roster if your brigade has one. It is not something you can just rock up to when you feel like it.

    I have just knocked up 20 years and although the enthusiasm is just starting to wane, I still enjoy doing what I do

  12. #27
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    16,722
    I would have thought as a volunteer organisation it would be the more the merrier ?
    After all people go on holidays,go to a family members 60th and get pissed etc and either cant make it to a call or are not fit to respond so best have some spares yea?
    Hunt4life likes this.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

    Chicken Intolerant.

  13. #28
    Member possummatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    morrinsville
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    @possummatti although the black and white print says 16 years you may find that your local has a minimum age of 18. Don't take this as rejection. Fire brigades are quite complex in comparison to years gone by. We no longer sit around waiting for fires but are called to assist ambulance to all status 1 calls (CPR) and other medicals as required, storm related incidents, mobility scooters with flat batteries etc. the list is long. The Fire Service has changed from Fire to Fire and Rescue and now changing to Fire, Rescue and Emergency's.
    We have operational budgets based on the number of crew they say is our complement. To kit out a new recruit is over $2500. Your local brigade may already have a full complement.
    A brigade requires commitment. A new recruit has to complete a 2-day 1st aid course followed by a 7-day Basic and BA course in Rotorua as a minimum. All this comes at a cost so the Fire Service (and your brigade) would like to get a good 3-5 years out of you.

    The good side of joining are the skills you will learn at your age, the teamwork with people of various ages and walks in life, pushing yourself when you know that others are relying on you to complete a given task, the training they are paying for you to learn, the rush when your pager goes off and not knowing what you are going to, the social time after training or callout. That is just a few of the benefits and most of all knowing that you are only 1 of 9000 people in NZ that are doing what you do.

    Go down to your local brigade and talk to the chief. You may have to make a time as the chief or deputy chief may be busy organising the brigade training for the night. If they say there are no vacancies, ask if you could go back in a couple of weeks to tag along for a few training nights to see if been a volly is what you think it is looking from the outside. You won't get to ride in the truck but is a chance to show maturity to the officers and they may invite you to keep going.
    Remember it is a commitment you have to make as others will be reliant on you to be there for training and on a operational roster if your brigade has one. It is not something you can just rock up to when you feel like it.

    I have just knocked up 20 years and although the enthusiasm is just starting to wane, I still enjoy doing what I do
    Cheers sako appreciate it
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

  14. #29
    Member sako75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Supercity
    Posts
    4,375
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I would have thought as a volunteer organisation it would be the more the merrier ?
    After all people go on holidays,go to a family members 60th and get pissed etc and either cant make it to a call or are not fit to respond so best have some spares yea?
    Wishful thinking

    The NZFS says a volly brigade can have a compliment of 20 (as an example) they will provide a budget for 20. They will let you go a % over that then the costs come out of your grant or operational budget. Each year The NZFS give each brigade a grant based on the number in your brigade. You can spend that money on what you want. Some will spend it on operational equipment, some on a pissup. We go out for dinner once a year (one year the piss bill was more than the food bill). If you go above the compliment you pay for the extra out of your grant. The grant also has to pay for honours with are medals for number of years service. A 25 year Gold Star cost a couple of thousand dollars.

    In the 80s a brigade would require 20 members (as an example) to provide coverage and the service required. Nowadays the same brigade requires 24 to provide the same service. This is due to 7-day shopping, working on weekends, people going away more to 60th pissups, weekend sports etc
    veitnamcam likes this.

  15. #30
    Member sako75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Supercity
    Posts
    4,375
    Quote Originally Posted by possummatti View Post
    Cheers sako appreciate it
    No prob.
    The FS is a great organisation to be a part of and to be proud of. At the top it is pretty heavy and start to ask yourself why you want to be a trog with the workload that is getting worse than easier. At the beginning you won't see any of that and will be none the wiser.
    The FS strive for excellence and will ask the same from you. Take the opportunity and run with it. There will be hard times and plenty of fun times

    Trogs - if Stumpy calls you a Trog it is a name the career guys/girls call volleys and comes from the name Trogolite who only come out after dark
    possummatti likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. That's one way of putting out a fire
    By Barefoot in forum Off topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 13-08-2013, 10:28 PM
  2. Just a lazy fire...
    By Ryan in forum Off topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21-04-2013, 08:02 AM
  3. Fire Globe
    By Dougie in forum Off topic
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 17-04-2013, 07:26 AM
  4. Boat on fire getting put out
    By cambo in forum Outdoor Transport
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-12-2012, 09:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!