Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Vol Fire crew, who is one?

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    trog ..... trog trog trog trog ..... trog trog trog trog ..... trog trog trog

its a compliment ......
    also , when ever we had scrub fires to go too , we are always happy when the bush bunnies (dougie) turn up , because that means we can pack up and go back to relaxing while those lunitics run all around the bush putting out hot spots !!!!!
    after near on 20 years full time service in the NZFS I recommend it in all ways , be it perm, vollie , ops support, rural etc etc .... and you only get out of it what you put into it , even my wife is in the job , in central fire comms , any of you talk to her on the radio , be nice ... cant miss her , shes the only Canadian on there
    Ha ha ha, you're right about that can't miss her. First time I heard her I had to ask for a repeat performance, what the XXXX did she just say??????

Hard case really, you get so used to listening to Kiwi's over radio someone with a different accent comes on and you really have to stop and listen. Also possibly the slower pace of her speech compared to us Kiwi born and bred types!

well she has now resigned to bring up our twin girls , so your stuck with mumbly old quiet speaking kiwis...................
    BRADS likes this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Bummer...

Ah well, good luck with that - two of them will be an utter handful, 1 6-month old girl is bad enough. Trying to rule the roost now, 6 months going on 6 years...

Vol Fire crew, who is one?

Half of our pagers didn't go off.
    So on second go we got this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pagers are a nightmare here. At one point I had four to test which were most consistent. One call saw one of two flex pagers activate and they were about an inch apart

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Pager + hammer = the only consistency you will get out of those damn things.

We have largely gone to txt turnout, pagers have too many black areas around our patch. Took me about a month to click at the old place, that if I put my pager on the centre of my bedside cabinet no go. Either side, no issues... (about 120mm each way).

No if only comms would stop changing the txt notification numbers, we could then assign a specific tone to the turnout pages and know without having to read the text!
    anderset20 likes this.

Oooooh, tonights 3d was rather accurate wasn't it? Definitely hits a tone with my experience over 14 years of volunteering...

Was interesting. I've only had good experience in my brigade but it's pretty clear the other brigades near us are run very differently. Eventually they will run out of vollies if that is the real culture and it continues, be interesting to see how things pan out after a bullshit outfit like 3d have done their best to get some ratings

Sent from my workbench

I guess it's just one of those things, it only takes a few words at the wrong moment to completely stuff up a relationship and in something like fire where people tend to be subject to tiredness and stress bitchiness is never far away.

the number is never fixed and is not something comms can choose , it is a rolling series of numbers that spark have , ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Pager + hammer = the only consistency you will get out of those damn things.

We have largely gone to txt turnout, pagers have too many black areas around our patch. Took me about a month to click at the old place, that if I put my pager on the centre of my bedside cabinet no go. Either side, no issues... (about 120mm each way).

No if only comms would stop changing the txt notification numbers, we could then assign a specific tone to the turnout pages and know without having to read the text!
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Vollies doing what vollies do well - making things happen.
    A big 3 days at Pukekohe under the sun and no shade.
    The track temp in the pits on Sunday was 48deg. The day before was hotter.
    The only payment was an unlimited supply of drinking water and getting up close to the action

Name:  SDC11111.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  926.2 KB

Name:  SDC11113.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  910.6 KB

Name:  SDC11114.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  765.2 KB

Name:  SDC11120.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  977.0 KB
    Dundee likes this.

nice, i enjoyed the action from behind the camera man on the bleachers for the three days often thinking "fark that" looking at you lot donning the flash hoods

some awesome critter set off a smoke flair on the top of mt manaia this arvo so guess what happened. Up we went with stretcher (on my back), rescue line, trauma and resus kits only to find the spent canister an no one around.
    400m of elevation and 1,110 steps on a nice warm afternoon wearing overalls, boots and carrying our helmets.
    BRADS and Dan88 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    well she has now resigned to bring up our twin girls , so your stuck with mumbly old quiet speaking kiwis...................
    Blair,You forget about the new Geordie girl. Think shes on green. By christ dont ask if shes scottish

Former cave dweller

D1

Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    some awesome critter set off a smoke flair on the top of mt manaia this arvo so guess what happened. Up we went with stretcher (on my back), rescue line, trauma and resus kits only to find the spent canister an no one around.
    400m of elevation and 1,110 steps on a nice warm afternoon wearing overalls, boots and carrying our helmets.
    Mt Manaia is a good wee jaunt on a hot day at the best of times let alone loaded up with gear. I presume you then retired to the Mt Manaia Club to recover.