Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Scottish Wild Boar

These pigs are European Wild Boar and 'escaped' from a property near New Abbey in Scotland over ten years ago, they have slowly spread through neighbouring forestry blocks and suprise suprise are starting to do very real damage to farmers fields. They are nocturnal as they are getting quite a bit of pressure from folk who lure them into bait stations at night then use either the full moon, a lamp or NV to shoot them. I hunt pheasant in this area and the boar do a lot of damage to the feeders....lots of different theories on whats best used as bait....one bloke reckons maize soaked in beer but ive a better use for beer.....no one really believes me when i say my mates in NZ use carcasses......anyway my pal had been sitting up a highseat night after night on the full moon waiting for something to show, lots of badgers coming and going then this fella turned up.....i got a call about 1am to come and help recover it, it was huge... It also had a tumour on its belly the size of a football, probably one of the most disgusting things ive ever seen when my mate who is a vet disected it.....he was truly amped at his first boar, couldn't find any decent scales to weigh it......nailed a few cold ones when we finally got in.... they didn't even touch the sides........there are a lot of boar on the loose down in england......just by chance i read today of Princess Anne's prize rare breed sow being mauled to death by a wild boar that had broken into its enclosure......i smiled when i saw the comment about the 9.3x62 another mate has had one for a couple of years now....its actually quite pleasant to shoot, more of a push then a shove if you know what i mean......anyway cheers for the comments.
    EeeBees and Scouser like this.