Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What I have learnt about my new bow so far

What I have learnt about my new bow so far

Poundage is too light, this is easy to adjust and was done on purpose to allow me to develop some form, but now that form is developing I will increase it a bit, all good.

It's shooting, or I am, low and to the right, getting 10 shots in a hand size group at 15 meters, which is nothing to be proud about, but all shots are to the right and a tad low, which would be easy to fix except:

Being American all the Allen keys are non metric, and all my tools are metric, I need to either go to mitre10 to see if they have the right Allen keys (may need to take bow in) or buy tools from a bow shop, not sure...

Finally the target I built is not strong enough, after having to get a drill to get the arrows out of the fence behind the target I have rebuilt it, is now three times as thick and multi layer, going to try again...

Still I am Having fun!

Shelley
    ishoot10s, Gibo and buckles1 like this.

At least all easy fixes , I bought a great set of imperial Allen keys from supercheap for only 12 bucks! All folds into itself for in the pocket. Oh and great bow by the way!

Been there with the target, straight through the bale of straw, and the fence, I set my bow at 52 down from 70 so I could get used to it and be able to hold for longer without getting a shake on.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I just had to laugh at non metric. Sorry but I grew up with imperial measurement here in good old New Zealand.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Yes Rushy, but my point is that it's an American bow, not a New Zealand bow, and we here and now have joined the metric system, and my tools, for better or worse, are metric sized.
    I need to find good old imperial sized tools for this American bow...

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Yes Rushy, but my point is that it's an American bow, not a New Zealand bow, and we here and now have joined the metric system, and my tools, for better or worse, are metric sized.
    I need to find good old imperial sized tools for this American bow...
    Mitre10 or Bunnings should stock them
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Right fixed target, off to Mitre10 as per Rushy's suggestion, then try and fix sights.
    Gibo likes this.

Ejected
    Are you left or right handed? I was having a try the other weekend and was shooting to the left, I draw with my right hand and was told that it was because I was squeezing the bow too tight, apparently I should just be using the webbing of my thumb to stop it coming back and smashing me in the kisser

Same as you, but not squeezing, I do wonder if it's the weight of the quiver and arrows, but it figure I am going to be hunting with them so I should sight it in with them too, I think it's just off,,or imam, but going to have a play tomorrow and see if I can get it right.
    No harm in practising.

Anyone want ti come down for a 28 round unmarked animal target shoot at franklin county archers we have a few level 1 instructor's that could help you out we shoot on sunday morning's
    Using Tapatalk

Would be useful to have a chat to someone who knows what to do and could tell me what I am doing wrong! Will keep it in mind.

In the mean time got me some tools, and am now in the long slow process of tuning in my sight for 15 metres, getting pretty close before the rain came down.

one thing I learn,t is when adjusting my sights is to not shoot to many arrows at once, it's amazing the slightest fatigue can have on accuracy.

You could be onto something there, my last three shots while a nice tight group were left right and almost smack on the target, so not sure if sight needs to be adjusted or I was just getting knackered.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Yeah, as soon as you take up tension in your draw, relax the fingers and thumb of your bow hand, you don't need to grip it at all. Once you're at full draw, the bow will stay square and centred in your bow hand. If you grip it, you might impart left or right twist in the bow which can manifest itself as arrows thrown off centre. After release, take up some grip so you don't drop the bow.
    pipesmoka likes this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Good advice ishoot10s, will try that.