Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Aiming without sights

I turn my handguns on the side and never look down the sights ....that's why I suck ....
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    I turn my handguns on the side and never look down the sights ....that's why I suck ....
    @stumpy

If your aiming your Shoota Gansta Styles you'll never hit anything unless you also say these magic words

"Yo Mo Fo!!!, Give it Up or I'll put a Cap in your Ass"

It also helps if you have your hat on backwards and your oversize pants down around your knees too.

Cheers
    Pete
    shooternz, stumpy and Ranger 888 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Instinct combat shooting: The act of operating a weapon by focusing on the target and instinctively coordinating the hand and mind to cause the weapon to discharge at a time and point that ensures interception of the target with the projectile.
    While I can understand Chuck Klein's "interpretation" of the term 'instinctive shooting' to validate his opinion. In reality, he is merely attempting to change the definition of a word to suit his liking. The use of ANY weapon or tool by a human is not and can not be classed as instinctive.

If it is the term (everyone is using) that you are worried about then that is just semantics...
    Yes, the meaning of a word is unimportant in a conversation.....

Once again you are reading to deep in to the use of words. "Instinctive" can be used in many forms... "An action done or happening without logical thought" much like a sportsman throws or kicks a ball...

If you practice a drill over and over then yes your actions can become instinctive in that your actions will move quicker than your logical/cognitive ability. Be careful buying in to some "FAD" course that you have recently done and then take for gospel. Instinctive shooting builds the basis of all combat shooting techniques regardless of what professional force your were trained with... Yes that's right even your army (well past army) uses and employs "instinctive shooting".

Point and shoot is just an adaptation of the underlying fundamentals of "instinctive shooting".
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

This isn't combat or defensive - it's running and IPSC. Look at the target close to you, point at it and shoot.

/end thread.
    R93 likes this.

What isn't combat? The technique or the situation that requires you to employ it.

Savage1 started this thread looking for advice on acquiring the skills to shoot without aiming. This relates to instinctive shooting which falls very well in to combat shooting techniques regardless of your perceived relevance. Look at the many books that have been suggested to read and the one he himself has read, most of which are combat centered. Why? Because they are all realistic and experience driven techniques. Much of what IPSC is all about was founded via combat training and adapted to suit mainstream competition minded shooters..

If you practice a drill over and over then yes your actions can become instinctive in that your actions will move quicker than your logical/cognitive ability.
    No, it will become a learned behavior. You will move quicker due to muscle memory and reducing the reaction time based upon repeated external stimuli.

Be careful buying in to some "FAD" course that you have recently done and then take for gospel.
    Actually, I took the course over ten years ago. I have taken several pistol courses over the years, the Combat Focus Shooting course was the only one that taught point shooting. So I wouldn't quite say I'm taking a 'FAD" course as "gospel".

You can certainly use your instincts to aid your shooting, but you can't instinctively shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    I think I have a bad habit of holding the grip with my trigger hand too tight.
    From "Kill or Be Killed" by Major(Col) Rex Applegate, Published July 1943

"The grip of the hand on the weapon is tight-almost convulsive"

"The grip on the pistol or revolver is extremely tight. This is also a combat condition, because in the midst of a battle excitement, a man instinctively grips his weapon in this manner and certainly does not take time to hold his breath, line up the sights, and squeeze the trigger."

Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    No, it will become a learned behavior. You will move quicker due to muscle memory and reducing the reaction time based upon repeated external stimuli.

Actually, I took the course over ten years ago. I have taken several pistol courses over the years, the Combat Focus Shooting course was the only one that taught point shooting. So I wouldn't quite say I'm taking a 'FAD" course as "gospel".

You can certainly use your instincts to aid your shooting, but you can't instinctively shoot.
    Well we will have to agree to disagree, which is a shame given your "elaborate" background.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    From "Kill or Be Killed" by Major(Col) Rex Applegate, Published July 1943

"The grip of the hand on the weapon is tight-almost convulsive"

"The grip on the pistol or revolver is extremely tight. This is also a combat condition, because in the midst of a battle excitement, a man instinctively grips his weapon in this manner and certainly does not take time to hold his breath, line up the sights, and squeeze the trigger."
    Koshogi,what discipline do you shot and what grade if I may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    get yourself a copy of this
    Attachment 42365
    It wont make sense the first or second time you read it but it will...................
    That's the one,and a great guy to top it of!

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
    Koshogi,what discipline do you shot and what grade if I may ask?
    I don't compete in competitions currently. Planning on getting involved in 2016.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk