Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Handguns for Self Defense in the USA.

Handguns for Self Defense in the USA.

Glock Model 22 .40 S&W and a Bianchi Duty Belt

Glock Model 23 .40 S&W

I've been a cop now for ten years and carried a gun daily since I was 18 due to my employment with Uncle Sam before the badge. Every morning I've put on my gun wih my pants and I can say this. Self Defense with a handgun or a long gun doesn't matter. It is the mindset of the person carrying. The gun doesn't provide protection but it sure gives the user a better tool for winning.

Anyways. The key to carrying is first mindset. You have to be aware of three factors.

1. Ever situation now has a gun in play. Yours.
    2. Sometimes it is better to keep it concealed and not draw.
    3. If you are drawing from your holster, you better be in fear.of great bodily harm and death. Because drawing it in anger is deadly force.

You have to be aware.of your surroundings. Know who, what, where, and when. Stay vigilant and keep your head on a swivel. Always have the radar in your head scanning. Most attacks are telegraphed. Either by the subject themselves.or the situation.

If you're in a empty parking lot at night and someone is walking.clear across the parking lot on an intercept path towards you. That a telegraphed move. That doesn't mean you draw there and then, but you have yourself ready in case you must.

This brings us to tools. A gun is a tool, no different than flashlight or a pocket knife. A good combination is to carry all three.

S&W Model 342 .38 Special

CZ P-07 Duty .40 S&W

If you notice... I have all three there. A handgun, a flashlight, and a pocket knife. Why you might ask? Well, if I'm in the parking lot and some street urchin is approaching me. I pull the flashlight first. Shine it in his face and distract/disorient my possible attacker. It does a.couple of things.

1. It take the element of surprise from him.
    2. It shield my actions in the dark. Now he can't see if I'm armed.or not.
    3. It weakens him since now he is at a tactical disadvantage. His night vision.went to crap.

9 out of 10 times, the situation is deescalated. The bad guy now knows that I'm ready to possibly fight and he moves on to search for an easier victim.

But let's say he continues to advance. You can create distance or stand your ground. By standing your ground, you now have the choice. Do you feel threatened? Because if you take.action you have to articulate why you did. Give loud commands such as "Stay Away!" or "I don't have anything and you don't want trouble!"

Now you're getting close to having a need to break leather. In many parts of the US, you have the legam right to defend yourself where you stand. Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine is the cornerstone of why. As a law abiding citizen, you don't need to have the duty to retreat. You aren't the criminal thus you can defend yourself. But remember, you have to articulate why still.

Remember the 21 foot rule. A bad guy armed with a blade can close the distance before you can draw and fire. Distance is key. Create it if you can.

If you do draw, give repeated loud commands of "Back the f#ck up!" and "Stay away from me!". You simply drawing your weapon is lethal force. If you attacker still doesn't disengage. Then use lethal force if necessary. Don't try to be a movie star or a gold hearted humanitarian. You ahot center of mass unti the threat stops. No more and no less.

But why the knife you ask? Distance might be hampered by environment. Maybe you have innocent people near by. But a knife, even a simple pocket knife is sti capable of critical injuries and death.

Now lets.get to two other keey factors in carrying.

1. Belt
    2. Holster

S&W Model 13 .357 Magnum, a full steel combat revolver with agood holster and belt.

You need a good belt to hold up the weight and a good holster to secure your carry piece. I specifically use re-enforced gun belts. They prevent back and hip strain. I also use good holsters. Retaining what you carry is important.

The CZ P-07 ad Blackhawk IWB Holster you see there survived a motorcycle accident. The gun never left my side and I was dragged along the asphalt.

Another important thing is reloads. Always carry a reload. Magazines and ammo can fail. Mags are always the weak link in a semi-auto.

Engaging and shooting the bad guy(s) isn't like the movies. One shot drops are rare. You shot until the threat stops. Either because the body shuts down due to blood pressure lose, hitting the central nervous system, or your attacker quits the fight ad.surrenders or runs away. Reload are critical.

Ammo selection isn't as critical today as it was twenty five years ago. Any modern 4th generation hallow point load will do the job. 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm Auto, etc... the key is shot placement and ammo capacity. The more the better.

Now, strapping a gun to your hip doesn't make you Rambo or John Wayne. You need to be careful and actually avoid confrontation if possible. Because remember.... no matter what there is at least one gun in play. YOURS.

Remember, this is from an American living in America. Your situation might be different.

Stay safe and watch your six.
    Grim, 199p, MassiveAttack and 4 others like this.
    Signature removed because some people are intolerant of me being American.

Nice read mate cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

I have questions.

As a police officer how many times have you had to fire at a perceived threat?

As an off duty PO but presumably concealed carrying? how many times have you had to fire at a perceived threat?
    199p likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Im so pleased I dont live in 'merica' , and its not because of the 'bad/urchin' guys.
    Kscott likes this.

LOC
    carrying a phone, wallet and set of keys is annoying enough let alone wandering around with all that
    veitnamcam and res like this.

SiB
    Yes an interesting read. Thank you.

You'll probably be aware private handguns are strictly confined to dedicated ranges here in NZ.

Obtaining a handgun licence endorsement is a strict process, and whilst there are several members on this forum who are endorsed, I think it would be fair to say most of us have little, if any familiarity with using them.

Using them for self protection (as opposed to target shooting here in NZ) is a concept most of us can only read about or see in movies.

That's not to ignore those with military backgrounds, but I'd venture to suggest the number of handguns you'd expect to be kept/owned in one of your streets, would well exceed the number in one of our major cities!

Nevertheless, we are all fascinated by them; this is a hunting and shooting forum after all.

Thanks for your contribution!
    veitnamcam, 199p, WallyR and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    Yes an interesting read. Thank you.

You'll probably be aware private handguns are strictly confined to dedicated ranges here in NZ.

Obtaining a handgun licence endorsement is a strict process, and whilst there are several members on this forum who are endorsed, I think it would be fair to say most of us have little, if any familiarity with using them.

Using them for self protection (as opposed to target shooting here in NZ) is a concept most of us can only read about or see in movies.

That's not to ignore those with military backgrounds, but I'd venture to suggest the number of handguns you'd expect to be kept/owned in one of your streets, would well exceed the number in one of our major cities!

Nevertheless, we are all fascinated by them; this is a hunting and shooting forum after all.

Thanks for your contribution!
    Not entirely true, usage is sopost to be on an approved range only but guns are not held by the range they are held by the owner I am fairly sure.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good to have a different perspective.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Ejected
    Glad I don't have to deal with any of that. Good luck I spose.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Not entirely true, usage is sopost to be on an approved range only but guns are not held by the range they are held by the owner I am fairly sure.
    in my limited experience, "club guns" are held by club officers/armourers, on their endorsed FALs.

Quote Originally Posted by petronious_arbiter View Post
    in my limited experience, "club guns" are held by club officers/armourers, on their endorsed FALs.
    Yes but endorsed owners keep their arms in their endorsed storage at home/work or wherever their storage is, so handguns are not "strictly confined to dedicated ranges"

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I have questions.

As a police officer how many times have you had to fire at a perceived threat?

As an off duty PO but presumably concealed carrying? how many times have you had to fire at a perceived threat?
    I've drawn my duty weappn a number of times but thankfully I haven't had to fire in anger. The suspects have listened to my commands.
    dogmatix and veitnamcam like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Im so pleased I dont live in 'merica' , and its not because of the 'bad/urchin' guys.
    One of the benefits of you living in a homogeneous community for the most part. NZ has done things rather differently than the US. There are trade offs. While the US does have a higher crime rate, not all of it is the wild west.

But I'd figured I could give you guys an outsider's perspective and a good read.

I enjoy sharing information and more importantly; getting opinions and info back. Places are different for a reason and the best way to get to know each other is through discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    carrying a phone, wallet and set of keys is annoying enough let alone wandering around with all that
    Pants are annoying.... come to FL during summer. 97F, 98% humidity, and enough Zika infected mosquitoes to carry you from FL to NZ.

LOL

You'll wear jeans and instead wish you were wearing a speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Good to have a different perspective.
    Glad I could be of service