Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Revolvers- where to start

Revolvers- where to start

So I took up archery with a recurve bow a few weeks ago and have now started hunting....

An odd way to start a pistol thread I know!

I'm in SW Missouri and on a farm. There have been numerous sightings of mountain lions and black bear in my area and I would like to start carrying a revolver for the following reasons:

Predator protection- very unlikely scenario but if you've been in the tree stand and heard a mountain lion screech as I was yesterday I felt pretty venerable with only two sticks and a string.

Wild/stray dogs- we have a big problem here and I see them hunting often and would like to be able to flatten one at 40-50 yards.

Alternative methods- we have a second deer season where black powder and pistols are allowed. Again needs to be effective at 40 odd yards

Work- easier for euthanasia of livestock as far as carrying in the vehicle

I have no interest in a semi auto.

I'm leaning to a 357 but I cannot decide between ruger or S&W and double vs single action.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The chances of a bear encounter is minimal. And being a black bear I doubt it would require a kill or be killed. I think the noise will be enough!

Thanks for the advice on double action. Any reason for S&W over ruger?

I'm probably contradicting myself in the above post. I think a 357 vs a 44mag or. 500 S&W is not a huge factor. It offers enough protection and should be pleasant enough that I will practice with it and be good enough to shoot at a decent range.

However... please try and convince me to go bigger and of nothing else it will mean I've thought of every option

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I guess next thing is to try find a couple to shoot.

S and W 686 or similar in double action 38 special/357 Mag

Great trigger makes it easier to be accurate and you can load 3x 38 Special "scare" loads backed up by 3x 357 mag "kill" loads in the same unit and still fire one-handed

I would personally practise before wanting to lug a bigger hunk of metal around the landscape as a 44 and up can get heavier than you think and I'm not a small guy

Best idea I can give you is to go to a range where you can try as many as possible to see what feels right for you as pistols tend to be a very personal selection IMO

Good luck

also edit to note- nothing against Rugers, I just haven't personally fired them enough to talk about them

You definitely don't want to start pistol shooting with a .44 mag it will put you off pistols for life, you must have some pistol clubs in your area join one and learn how to shoot pistols properly it's not like the movies it takes
    a few months of serious training to get good enough to be able to defend yourself against a bear or even hit where you aim, shoot as many types of pistol as you can before deciding what to buy, then buy a S&W .357 mag
    they have the best out of the box triggers and accuracy of any pistol and can be found in most gunshops, I have 4 revolvers 3 are S&W and the 4th is not a Ruger but do try one it might fit your hand I just don't like them.
    308 likes this.

I personally , would got for a dan Wesson 357 mag , and run hot loads in it ..............................why a dan? because I own one
    petronious_arbiter likes this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

P38
    Start with this.

S&W686 357mag 6" bull barrel.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 233
Size:  21.5 KB

Then work you way up to this

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 267
Size:  26.7 KB

Enough said

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

P38 need any bullets for the 460 I have a nice mould casts 390 and 420 grainers, sold some to a dude in Te Kuiti I think has hand has healed
    P38 likes this.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    P38 need any bullets for the 460 I have a nice mould casts 390 and 420 grainers, sold some to a dude in Te Kuiti I think has hand has healed
    @shooternz

I was planning on only shooting jacketed projectiles in the 460xvr

The lead projectiles may not survive the velocities generated.

That said I may not survive the recoil either.

Cheers
    Pete
    Beaker likes this.

They will handle 1400fps with out stress I doubt you would want to load above that

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    They will handle 1400fps with out stress I doubt you would want to load above that
    I have plans on loading 200 - 240gr projectiles to over 2100fps

400gr will exit at about 16 - 1700fps and 500grs will exit at around 1500fps

Kinda insane I know but that's what it's built to do.

Cheers
    Pete

.22-250, your best bet would be a .357 Smith & Wesson 686 or 586, second-hand in good condition. S&W are the best made revolvers, and the older models (15+ years) are better made than the new ones. Rugers are OK but very agricultural in the trigger pull, and the sights are only fair. Dan Wesson are just bloody awful. Most modern revolvers are made from investment castings which are OK and certainly strong enough, but lacking the fit and finish to give smooth action. The newer S&W do have some investment cast parts but the older ones are drop forged and machined which gives greater strength and a smoother finish. An older S&W .357 with a good barrel will have good accuracy and 158 grain hollow-point loads will do most things properly for you without being difficult to shoot.