Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Uplandstalker
  • 1 Post By Uplandstalker

Thread: Ruger mark II (or III)

Ruger mark II (or III)

So I've just finished .22 basic safety at my club and spent the afternoon using the ruger .22s... and oh my God they feel ugly to hold and use.

Everything about them is so awkward, from the location of the safety making you have to break your grip to turn it on (but not off) and the slide release is so far away that the I have to use my off hand to release it and by no means do I have small hands. Not to mention how stiff the release is which means even if I could reach it with the tip of my thumb I wouldn't even be able to actuate it.

Also a badly designed magazine release?

Is this normal or am i being picky because I spent the last month and a but using fancy air pistols that cost 4x as much?

Regards
    Macca

northdude
    You forgot to mention how accurate it is

you're being picky

the Rugers are reliable, accurate and reasonably priced to buy and run so there's no comparison to a competitive air pistol. i presume the price and reliability is why clubs use them for training — and i don't think it's a bad thing forcing a trainee to slow down to engage the safety and releases (but i wait to be corrected).

and now you know what not to get for your plinker.

Quote Originally Posted by petronious_arbiter View Post
    you're being picky

and now you know what not to get for your plinker.
    We'll I've seen a .22lr conversion kit for the VP9 I bought for a measly $300 USD when I finish training. So that may be a cheaper alternative than buying a whole new pistol provided import isn't too much of a sting.

I saw a S&W Model 41 for sale the other day, good price too. I'll try and find it. Would make a good Rimfire speed gun.
    P38 and Matt2308 like this.

Should consider a Browning Buckmark 22 as well.
    P38 likes this.

P38
    @Macca

Try out a S&W41 or a Browning Buckmark you'll feel much better.

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

the model 41 was $640 on the NZ IPSC Faceboock group.

I quite like the Ruger II, accurate, basic, bloody good value.

MaW
    I came across two .22lr pistols the other day that I had not shot -well three if you count the longer and shorter barrel version.

I had know about the Colt 1911 gold cup .22 made by walther but it was pricey. I didnt know about the Walther PPQ M2 .22's. I tried them both. The walther has a better trigger than I imgined and the colt's one was worse but given it's 1911 trigger parts it can be fixed.

The walther is fairly light being a polymer and the colt is only about 50 grams lighter than the .45 version. I am actually going to get the colt tomorrow.

Found them out last weekend when I was about to leave the club and a person I recognised from my smallbore shooting days turned up with them.

FYI, he does have a company and while I am not associated with it but about 4 months ago I was looking for a 22 my kids could use and didnt see anything that interested me enough. A lot of them seemed overpriced. These guys are selling the colt for $560 and the walthers for $612 and $685 for 4" and 5" respectively. Based on my research a few months ago these seem like very good value compared to what else was about.

None of these options are probably as accurate as the ruger although I don't know, just assuming on reputation there.