Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Springfield XDM - 9mm

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River

Springfield XDM - 9mm

This is a shout out for opinions from you pistol aficionados. So the time has come to select a pistol and as with all things that I have ever done in my life I want to select a pistol based on comfort and fit. I have handled all sorts of pistols since starting at the club and the issue that I have had is that I have tiny little hands and podgy little fingers which means that I can't grip the pistol and reach the mag eject with my thumb on any of the pistols I have shot. Yesterday I picked up a Springfield XDM and it felt the best in my hands but I still couldn't quite reach the mag eject. That said, I am thinking this could be the pistol for me. Does anyone have any good or bad Opinions about the XDM? There was a Croatian customer in the shop at the time who said they were the bees knees and that he had seven of them but then the pistol is Croat so I discounted those comments as being like a Kiwi saying Pav is the best dessert.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Not tried them myself but if your club is anything like mine any of the guys will give you a go on their pistols
    Judging by your requirements try out a Walther P99 and/or a CZ - I have an 85 that I love the grip of but the Shadow is more popular

The other option is buy 2ndhand and try a few - the resale value is almost the same with a lot of semiautos, in my experience
    Don't forget Trading Post here
    Pistol New Zealand

You're not getting just one are ya? You're allowed 12.....

Hit me up if you come down to Wgtn and you're welcome to have a burn on my ones

Of all the polymer pistols the XDm is one of the better choices. One thing I don't like is the rear slide rail is plastic, but doesn't seem to be a problem with the 1000's of shooters who use them. Have you tried a 1911? single action and single stack gun might be good for your hands - can get them in 9mm. Or try a Glock19. Glock can be very good with a few small cheap upgrades.

If small and comfortable is the key, Walther PPQ might be a good fit too, or a H&K VP9
    Being over gunned is under rated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vapour2209

I also have smallish hands, and I rate the shadow. I find that I push the release from the side on a angle (can't get thumb right around on to the top, if that makes sense) and it works real well. Plus it just fits me.

Works well, accurate and I've only had 1 misfeed/click/ammo issue - and that was because I didn't put powder in the reload, so not a pistol issue at all.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

I always liked the look of the XDM. I've since handle and fired both the XD in 40S&W (my bosses carry gun) and the XDM in 9mm here in NZ. I really didn't like how these shoot, the accuray for me wasn't there for the 9mm and I found the Glock and Walther better to shoot for me. I eventually ended up with a CZ Shadow(only gripe is the Double Action trigger for the first shoot on IPSC, but this is not the end of the world).

However, I strongly believe that if it feels right and shoots right in your hands, it the right gun for you.

Last comments, always remember that when buying a pistol in NZ, if you find you are not happy, there is a very limited number of possible buyers when selling second hand. Choose well.
    R93 and Beaker like this.

R93
    I have the same problem with stumpy hands and fingers.

If it feels the best and shoots right, buy it.
    I still manage to run a double stack 2011 happily with my hands so i am sure you will work around any mag release issues once you have spent some time shooting it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    PERRISCICABA likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

ebf
    XDM seems to be good for people with smaller hands, kinda like a cross between a glock and the cz shadow.

If you want to spend large, look at the new Tanfoglio stock 3 extreme, also small hand friendly.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

It rather depends on what you are using it for. Pling? IPSC? NRA? Is it going to be run hard? I tend to think firstly in terms does it meet divisional requirements, then in logistical terms (how available are spare or after market parts) then personal suitability. A lot of the guys are using the 5" barrel model for production class NRA, of course that model isn't usable in IPSC production. In my experience generalist pistols to switch between disciplines don't work terribly well.

Be aware most people have to break their grip to hit the magazine release, it is only if you really have to contort an astronomical amount that it is an issue. This is where availability of OEM or after market parts can be useful. CZ makes an extended magazine release, as does glock (though personally I find the gen 4 one all but useless).

i have only shot one a few times , felt nice and compact , and more "solid" than my glock , as for mag release , i had to get the extended one for my g17 ... suffer stumpy thumbs as well .....
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Thanks guys I appreciate the comments.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Asked my boss why he uses a XD for a carry gun in Ohio. He tells me he finds the grips compact enough for a quick and firm hold, plus he gets shit loads of 40S&W in the mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    Asked my boss why he uses a XD for a carry gun in Ohio. He tells me he finds the grips compact enough for a quick and firm hold, plus he gets shit loads of 40S&W in the mag.
    Nineteen in the 9mm

Banned
    Use your left thumb to hit the magazine catch.

Works for most people with smaller hands or short thumbs.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    Use your left thumb to hit the magazine catch.

Works for most people with smaller hands or short thumbs.
    I might try that myself.

I have to ensure I place my gun hand thumb on top of my safety after I button the mag or I sometimes engage the safety when seating a new mag.
    I spent ages drilling myself to get it right but still do it every now and then.

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I might try that myself.

I have to ensure I place my gun hand thumb on top of my safety after I button the mag or I sometimes engage the safety when seating a new mag.
    I spent ages drilling myself to get it right but still do it every now and then.

My problem is when on a weak hand stage, not getting my thumb on top of the safety. Over come by more weak hand shooting