Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Time to replace the springs in my Shadow?

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    Competitive shooters in the US change them fairly often 5-10K. NZ shooters tend to be less fastidious due to the PIA and cost of source replacements and tend to do it when when they start having issues. I replaced a recoil spring once in a fit of guilt, it wasn't having any issues and had a few rounds through it (read six figures). The old spring was about 2cm shorter than the new one. No issues though, that being said it may have been subjecting the pistol to excessive stresses. I started keeping a log on my low round count back up Shadow, the first slide stop went at 7880 second at 12525 currently at 5578...maybe if I replaced the springs more often I'd get fewer breakages. I'd keep spare trigger return springs, I've gone through four or five of those. Replaced the firing pin spring once. I've never replaced me hammer spring. Have broken the front sight (not the fiber). Sometimes things break no matter the preventative regime.

Attachment 52932
    Thanks for the information, very valuable.

I have a heap of spear parts in my range bag, but not a slide stop. I'll getting a few other bits while in Europe next month and will add a couple. Also getting a fixed fiber optic rear sight to try out.

I would check the extractor maybe, is the extraction erratic?. Or maybe you just limp wristed that one shot? Try shooting one handed and see if you can make it stove again? or two hands limp wristed and see if it fails to extract or stoves. Only put one bullet in and take the mag out and try it - it's a good extractor test
    Being over gunned is under rated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vapour2209

Quote Originally Posted by Vapour View Post
    I would check the extractor maybe, is the extraction erratic?. Or maybe you just limp wristed that one shot? Try shooting one handed and see if you can make it stove again? or two hands limp wristed and see if it fails to extract or stoves. Only put one bullet in and take the mag out and try it - it's a good extractor test
    Thanks @Vapour, this occurred during a one handed drill and fired about another 150 rounds after without a problem.

Will do some more shooting this weekend and see if it happens again.

Shit you guys shoot way more than me. I counted up primers and I've shot less than 3000 in my Shadow and 1000 in my czechmate in the 2 or so years I've been shooting.

I always clean my guns a week before a match, so I can shoot a club match beforehand and I know everything's gonna work.
    Brake cleaner, then air compressor and thin motor oil and thin grease for lube. Gun oil evaporates too quick
    Uplandstalker and Jexla like this.