Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By sneeze
  • 1 Post By sneeze
  • 3 Post By sneeze

Thread: Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50

Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50

A Cut and paste form the last place

Having seen a lot of chat on overseas forums bout these I got a little courious.As with most internet stuff its hard to sort the bullshit form the facts and as I have a 243ai project on the go I odered one from the optic zone.As usual I paid GST ,landed it for about NZ 760.00
    Its a chunky scope here alongside a bushnell 4200 4x16x40

It has a fast focus eyepiece like swarovski and raised power setting indicators being SFF so you can see or feel the setting without have to raise your head.

The reticle is the deadhold BCD and its fine,.08moa on the fine bits with .25moa posts(on16 x)

The bushnell is probly a good comparission and looking through them in good light the bushnell has a slighly better picture but its very close.
    Mechanicly the viper is better,the clicks are wider and easier to feel,to rezero the turrets are springloaded so its" pull up,turn to zero and release" The spring is quite firm so it works well.The turrets and side focus areagresively notched and fell very good,even with very cold finges

Eye relief is better than the bushnell,a little less critcle on most power settings.I havent mounted it yet or put it over a grid, ill get to that when I get a chance.
    Over all it seems like reasonable vaule but time will tell.
    Last edited by sneeze; 03-12-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Looks like a nice scope.
    I have read about them but never seen any decent pics.
    Whats the adjustament range?

Place looks good Matt.Nice job

Only 50moa, managed to slip it into some PRWs on my trusty .243, Ihave 25 moa to play with plus the reticle if needed. Heaps for itss intende use.Ill add abit more tomorrow
    veitnamcam likes this.

Nice one Chris, looking forward to the new project being introduced, hope you got some "before shots" too

Yeah mate I took a few before I sent it.Old stock is out ,new one on the go ,hope to have it back before christmas

Nice looking bit of glass there Sneeze
    Had a hs 4-14x44 on back order for a while now ,,they keep putting the delivery time forward was really curious on the quality of the optics on the new hs series ,,,not sure if they are really a that bigger jump from the basic viper series ???,,,from everything ive heard though the build quality is good
    DONT BE A FOOL INDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU PULL

Quote Originally Posted by Bushrash View Post
    Nice looking bit of glass there Sneeze
    Had a hs 4-14x44 on back order for a while now ,,they keep putting the delivery time forward was really curious on the quality of the optics on the new hs series ,,,not sure if they are really a that bigger jump from the basic viper series ???,,,from everything ive heard though the build quality is good
    Havnt seen a basic viper so cant help you there,this one is about bushnel 4200 level.Where have you ordered from,the optic zone and euro optics had them in stock last time Ilooked.
    tui_man2 likes this.

Iv'e got a Vortex Viper on my 7/08. Great scope, very clear. Fantastic light gathering and what else can I say!

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Havnt seen a basic viper so cant help you there,this one is about bushnel 4200 level.Where have you ordered from,the optic zone and euro optics had them in stock last time Ilooked.
    Yeah i have emailed Jon at the optic zone a few times this is one of the last ones to arrive ,,,,Cameraland NY i think may now have it but would sorta like to get it off Jon,,,,pretty keen to get one here,,,, got some nice 30 mm optilocks ready for th Tikka
    DONT BE A FOOL INDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU PULL

Bit of an up date, I mounted the viper in some prws on my faithfull titan 243.
    Name:  PC050167.jpg
Views: 4206
Size:  97.7 KB

It fitted pretty central leaving 25 moa of useable elevation. I shot a quick box and it worked perfectly,all shots including the retun to zero impacted within .6 inch of the maked points.Thats about as good this load will shoot.I took a couple of shots at my gong at 400yds befor the rain came in and was bang on.I havent got access to my setup for clamping and dialing around a grid at the mo but its performing up to expectations so far.

Mmmmm.... nice. Good looking scope aren't they.

Hey @sneeze how is your vortex scope working out, thinking of getting one. i like the idea of a 30mm tube on my bush scope for my 8x57

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    Hey @sneeze how is your vortex scope working out, thinking of getting one. i like the idea of a 30mm tube on my bush scope for my 8x57
    I liked the scope well enough and it performed well but the reticle was just to fine for general hunting so I moved it on. i think the latter ones are better. I still have a couple of vortex diamondbacks, best bang for buck scope in the cheaper range.
    Wildman, mucko and GWH like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin