Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: One happy swede

One happy swede

On sunday morning I had the pleasure of joining the forum legend Vietnamcam for a hunt in one of his local areas to show me what real kiwi-hunting is all about and it turned out great.

I have to say it seemed a little bit strange starting of in the middle of the night but at 02:00 I got picked up in front of my hostel and we went out of the city and towards the spot where we hopefully would be able to find some red deer or maybe one of those goats that seem to be pretty much everywhere. We arrived to the parkingspot at around 3 a clock and started the walk uphill with the clear sky and full moon shining down on us which made the headlamps that we equipped us with earlier rather unnecessary. As we begun to make our way up the mountain we got an incredible view of the landscape since the clouds where still low and lied like a big white carpet covering all the lower land. Sadly our cameras weren't able to capture this moment but I know that at least I will remember it the rest of my life, it was breathtaking.

After a while of walking we spotted a possum sitting in a tree only a couple of meters in front of us and even though I guess Cam has seen his share of possums in his life I thought is was pretty cool to see it up-front like that and not only flatted alongside the road. Seem to be extremly stupid animals though, not much survival instinct at all...

A well, we went on and when I thought we had got quite a bit on our way Cam pointed on the top where we were heading and at once my backpack felt a little bit heavier. It was still dark but with the moon shining one could see that we had a fair bit of walking left and there was a big valley that needed to be crossed but knowing what hopefully was waiting on us at the top the we kept on going and with one foot in front of the other we slowly made our way up the hill. We finally reached the top and the area that we where supposed to hunt only to realize that the sun hadn't even begun to rise so we had a good 20 minutes to get some breakfast as we watched the horizon turn orange.

Beautiful views everywhere but that's not why we walked 7 km up a mountain so as soon as is began to brighten we started move forward at a slow pace. Soon we found some tracks and deershit which proved that they had been on this side of the mountain during the night so we began searching the hills beneath us towards the bush and suddenly Cam stopped. He had spotted two deer, one bigger and one smaller, just 100 meters below us but the problem was that they had seen us too so we had to move fast before they would run down to cover in the bush. Leaving our backpacks behind we crawled down towards a small bump that hopefully would give us a good view of the deer. We got there but when I looked over the tussocks I could't find the deer that I just seconds ago had my eyes on. Fortunately Cam had it in his crosshairs and with me not really sure about the shot and with time running out he made the right decision of pulling the trigger. The first deer went down with the bang and as the smaller one appeared another shot was fired that but it didn't seem to affect the deer at all. Now the fawn knew that something wasn't quite right so it started jumping away from us but it didn't get far before Cam let another bullet go that sent it rolling down the hill.

Although I wasn't the one to pull the trigger it was a great moment and my first real New Zealand hunt was a success. After making sure the animals were dead the real work started and I was a bit uncertain how we would be able to get these two good size animals back two the car when I remembered how steep and filled with rolling rocks the track had been. But of course you do it a little bit different here compared to back home where the longest distance I have to drag an animal probably is less then 250 meters...
    So Cam showed me that the best way to get the meat home if your on top of a mountain is simply to get the best parts and leave the rest. We took the backlegs and backsteaks which actually made quite a bit of meat and filled up the backpack and then slowly started the walk back to the car. When it came to the carrying of course Cam remembered that he wasn't able to walk downhill with a heavy pack like that because of his knees
    In Sweden we do it by the rule that you should wear out one generation at the time! Haha

We got down to the car a couple of hours later and although it was a tough walk it was all worth it when I remembered what an amazing morning it had been. Everything from the hunt to the incredible view from the top did this to one of my best days in New Zealand so far.

I would like to thank Cam for giving me this opportunity to see real kiwi-hunting and for an experience I will never forget.

Martin Wallin

Attachment 20597Attachment 20598Attachment 20599Attachment 20600Attachment 20601

Nice one mate see you in a week. We will be arriving in fox about midnight monday and start walking in about 5:30am tuesday text ya with the plan in a couple days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was my pleasure Martin.

Was good to hear a bit about your homeland and hunting.

Your links are not showing,tho that could be a good thing if my face is involved
    308 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    Nice one mate see you in a week. We will be arriving in fox about midnight monday and start walking in about 5:30am tuesday text ya with the plan in a couple days

P.s did you find out if your licence was valid here?

Great write up. if you make it to the north island i am sure we can get you in the bush somewhere
    veitnamcam likes this.

Seeing as Martin dobbed me in with a miss I will add my version.

After sitting for 20mins waiting for light drenched in sweat in a mountain breeze I had the shivers,It was 170y not 100 and with the tussock to tall for the bi-pod it had to be a sitting shot off the knees,sorry I couldn't get you a better position to have a shot.

On the trudge back I talked Martin into having a shot at a 6-7" rock at around 250y off the bi pod which he nailed dead center,apparently bi pods are not something that feature much hunting back home.

Martin also omitted (maybe by accident?) his walking past two young nanny goats in the open at 25-30y on the way back,by the time I got his attention they had bolted
    Pengy and Toby like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post

After sitting for 20mins waiting for light drenched in sweat in a mountain breeze I had the shivers,It was 170y not 100 and with the tussock to tall for the bi-pod it had to be a sitting shot off the knees,sorry I couldn't get you a better position to have a shot.

On the trudge back I talked Martin into having a shot at a 6-7" rock at around 250y off the bi pod which he nailed dead center,apparently bi pods are not something that feature much hunting back home.

Martin also omitted (maybe by accident?) his walking past two young nanny goats in the open at 25-30y on the way back,by the time I got his attention they had bolted
    yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaah ..........but you missed!,good work though its a lot of pressure taking a youngin for a deer and you are good at it.
    veitnamcam and initiaz like this.

Good to see someone helping someone else out, nice one vietnamcam!

Yep now you got both versions so put them together and hopefully we will get somewhere near what really happened

Haha I am going to hear about those damn goats as long I am on this forum aren't I?
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaah ..........but you missed!,
    Doesnt happen often but yes it does happen.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Legend VC. Welcome to the land of bloody good bastards Martin. Your guide was one of the best.
    initiaz likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Banned
    Doesnt happen often but yes it does happen.
    Ill keep that in mind

if only you had have text me sooner, Missus reckoned I should have raced up to where you parked the car with a chilli bin full of cold beer and a couple of chairs and waited for you to appear, kinda like an "aid station" for a marathon
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    if only you had have text me sooner, Missus reckoned I should have raced up to where you parked the car with a chilli bin full of cold beer and a couple of chairs and waited for you to appear, kinda like an "aid station" for a marathon
    That would of been heaven if that happened!!!
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    That would of been heaven if that happened!!!
    Took the words right out of my mouth!

Couple of coldies at yours was just the ticket mikee thanks.
    initiaz likes this.