Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By R93

Thread: red stag head discolouration

red stag head discolouration

Hi everyone

So I recently got my first stag head and wanted to mount it, did the usual boil/water-blast from a mates recommendation (way more experience than me), this came up all good. Name:  skinned.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  950.4 KB however he had had an issue with his last skull turning purple when he bleached it with peroxide, he thought it was some dye from the cloth he used and that it would be all good if I did it at full strength for only 20-30mins then using baking soda to stop the reaction. I did this at it still has purple runny patches on it Name:  damage 2.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  836.0 KB which came up about 24hours afterwards. its not catastrophic but was wondering if there was anyway to bleach it true white or if it will just have a bit of character to it

Never seen that before, I bleach with janola, they come out sort of yellowish for a week or two then go white, you could try that.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jhal View Post
    Hi everyone

So I recently got my first stag head and wanted to mount it, did the usual boil/water-blast from a mates recommendation (way more experience than me), this came up all good. Attachment 37179 however he had had an issue with his last skull turning purple when he bleached it with peroxide, he thought it was some dye from the cloth he used and that it would be all good if I did it at full strength for only 20-30mins then using baking soda to stop the reaction. I did this at it still has purple runny patches on it Attachment 37180 which came up about 24hours afterwards. its not catastrophic but was wondering if there was anyway to bleach it true white or if it will just have a bit of character to it
    Nice shape to that head.
    Did you punch it in the nose to finish it off

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Nice shape to that head.
    Did you punch it in the nose to finish it off
    I couldn't look past those trotters😆
    Blaser and JoshC like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

looks fine to me, having it pure white will look like its been painted. natural bone/off white looks far better.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Nice head that....just let it age and admire it daily...

hey thanks for the responses, im just gonna leave it age, been pretty busy but will try get a mount sorted for it sometime soon.