Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Hades goes for a walk

Hades goes for a walk

I've been a little slow on the hunting side of things since owning firearms.

My first, the 10/22 was used for possums and rabbits most weekends. When a cheap .308 popped up, I thought that was my ticket to bigger game. But, with a laminated stock, bull barrel and the biggest scope I could afford on top, I resigned to the fact that carrying this heavy bitch was not in my best interest.

Not long ago I picked up a Howa 1500 in 7mm08. Already with a DPT, adequate scope, bipod, etc, this was my ticket to hunting. After my Dad's mate took me out to his block in the Wairarapa during the roar, the Howa had now accounted for my first two deer: a yearling Fallow and a good sized Red hind. There were plenty of good stags; Fallow and Red on the hills, but were off-limits for this trip.

Which bring me to now. Spring/Summer hunting. Over the last two days I've covered a bit of ground, have seen plenty of sign, but haven't yet spotted an animal. With what I'm told "Great numbers" in the SE Ruahines at the moment, I'm not yet miffed, but starting to think I might be missing a few things.

Day one was a walk to Matanginui (high point 1074) with my partner- after buying her some boots so I have someone to keep me company. Granted, we left home (DVK) at 9 and got up there at roughly 1, stopping and looking at the odd slip on either side. Not the best time of day, but all we had available. Old sign in the river and on the track.

Day two was a solo mission to Stanfield Hut. I left the car park at 4 and walked up Holmes Ridge and then back down the river. I got back to the car at 8:30. Ideally, If I had left it an hour later, I would have been getting to the car in the dark, but it would have been better light for hunting perhaps? A few prints and poo on the ridge and was hoping to see a silly spiker grazing the track after a sprinkle of rain, but not to be. Once at the hut I turned back down stream and for the next hour followed a lot of sign in the gravel and sand- both small and large hooves, as well as footprints. The tramping club were in there that morning and had done the same loop.

Name:  20171214_181547.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  416.5 KB

So, things I learnt:

1. "Big numbers" don't mean that this hills are moving- especially mid-day.
    2. Don't let the lack of animals ruin/dishearten a good walk- it was good to get out.
    3. I need some binos. 'Scoping' slips is a pain in the ass.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Hades View Post
    I've been a little slow on the hunting side of things since owning firearms.

My first, the 10/22 was used for possums and rabbits most weekends. When a cheap .308 popped up, I thought that was my ticket to bigger game. But, with a laminated stock, bull barrel and the biggest scope I could afford on top, I resigned to the fact that carrying this heavy bitch was not in my best interest.

Not long ago I picked up a Howa 1500 in 7mm08. Already with a DPT, adequate scope, bipod, etc, this was my ticket to hunting. After my Dad's mate took me out to his block in the Wairarapa during the roar, the Howa had now accounted for my first two deer: a yearling Fallow and a good sized Red hind. There were plenty of good stags; Fallow and Red on the hills, but were off-limits for this trip.

Which bring me to now. Spring/Summer hunting. Over the last two days I've covered a bit of ground, have seen plenty of sign, but haven't yet spotted an animal. With what I'm told "Great numbers" in the SE Ruahines at the moment, I'm not yet miffed, but starting to think I might be missing a few things.

Day one was a walk to Matanginui (high point 1074) with my partner- after buying her some boots so I have someone to keep me company. Granted, we left home (DVK) at 9 and got up there at roughly 1, stopping and looking at the odd slip on either side. Not the best time of day, but all we had available. Old sign in the river and on the track.

Day two was a solo mission to Stanfield Hut. I left the car park at 4 and walked up Holmes Ridge and then back down the river. I got back to the car at 8:30. Ideally, If I had left it an hour later, I would have been getting to the car in the dark, but it would have been better light for hunting perhaps? A few prints and poo on the ridge and was hoping to see a silly spiker grazing the track after a sprinkle of rain, but not to be. Once at the hut I turned back down stream and for the next hour followed a lot of sign in the gravel and sand- both small and large hooves, as well as footprints. The tramping club were in there that morning and had done the same loop.

Attachment 79887

So, things I learnt:

1. "Big numbers" don't mean that this hills are moving- especially mid-day.
    2. Don't let the lack of animals ruin/dishearten a good walk- it was good to get out.
    3. I need some binos. 'Scoping' slips is a pain in the ass.
    At least your out there.

Giving yourself more time and identifying areas were the deer are frequenting would help your chances.
    Binos are a must.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    doinit and Scouser like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Well put mate, it's always good to get out. & the more time spent out there the more information you'll pick up and the more animals you'll start spotting.
    Scouser likes this.

Keep at it you'll get one soon. Holmes ridge always holds animals, you may bump into one feeding on the edge of the track, but try dropping into the bush 50-100m and parralel the track. Get onto a game trail and take it nice and slow. The Roki is also worth a look with a few slips around the creek heads. Definitely get some binos if you can.
    Scouser likes this.

Good write up, and keep at it you will be successful sooner or later. Binos are a must if there is open country around and the best times are late evening and early morning but in saying that they do turn up at any time of day, just being there means you have a chance.
    BeeMan likes this.

+1 nice write up!
    I wonder if that tramping club dose a news letter on when they do Walkies find out if they do then your not following them around
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Thank you to all that have commented and given hints and ideas. I'm looking to head out again tomorrow night. Have given the legs a rest and had a full day of cricket today so looking to go for a brief wander on sunset. Will put into practice your hints and let you know what happens. Fingers crossed.

Was out tonight, lads, and came home with a spiker.

Punched down an game trail off the ridge and spooked him. Gave it a whistle (thanks youtube) and it stopped on the other side of the river for a nosey. I didnt have a clear shot but decided to chance it through the ferns.

Identified breed, sex and rough age before pulling the trigger (again, thanks youtube hints and tips).

Gutted and dressed, packed up and now bagged in my freezer.
    Saw a couple more on the way out but was too busy looking at my feet 😐. For next time out.

Cheers for you hints and ideas. My first unguided and public land deer. Stoked.

Fantastic !
    Nil durum volenti !!

Name:  25520679_1608439905910605_2058394467_o.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  351.5 KB

One for the album.
    Shootm, doinit, FRST and 2 others like this.

Good work !!! some prime meat there .

Will wait for the weather clear then head off again I think. A full freezer for BBQ season is a must haha. The local butcher does venison, caramelized onion and mushroom sausages that I nees to try.

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    Yip getting out there is a big part of enjoying NZ mountains.
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

@Russian 22. Imagine if we lived to close to country like this...

Need to get out of Auckland.
    Russian 22. likes this.
    By law, you are required to turn on your headlights if it's raining in Sweden.

How the hell am I supposed to know if it's raining in Sweden?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJanitar View Post
    @Russian 22. Imagine if we lived to close to country like this...

Need to get out of Auckland.
    I stopped dreaming about girls and started dreaming of living very close to a one primo spots.

Hard. Taupo seems very appealing.....