Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Poor Man's AR

Poor Man's AR

These black semi-automatic AR's in .223 seem to be popular for hunting nowadays and I've noticed threads on here about what ranges they are good for etc. So it made me keen to haul out my el-cheapo version of a AR .223 for a hunt.

Yesterday I was up country working so it wasn't hard to drive from PNth to a hunting spot.
    It was a nice evening following a little bit of rain and almost straight after getting to a lookout I spotted deer. 2 velvet stags were resting up on a little clearing. It took about 20 minutes to stalk to 80 yards of them in a swirling wind but when I crested a little rise for the shot they had disappeared.

So that meant a steep 40 minute climb to the next glassing spot.
    I know the area pretty well and know where to look and soon enough spotted a lone deer on a Punga face a few hundred yards away. It looked like a hind but I stalked in closer in case it had a friend. At closer inspection I could make out velvet spikes. "Unlucky you", I thought to my self. The deer was partly obscured, and then disappeared. So I waited. 5 minutes later it reappeared in amongst the Punga's and presented its shoulder for a shot. 224 yards with a bi-pod, my pack under the butt and Swarvoski 3-9 wound up isn't a difficult shot, but I still took my time. When the deer was slightly quartered to me I held in line with the from leg and squeezed the excellently crisp (but cheap) trigger.

There was no sound of a hit, and no reaction from the deer apart from it instantly scarpering. I sat there for several minutes watching and glassing and there was no movement - sometimes you can see trees moving or flashes of a deer if its falling or wounded. Nothing. So Tilly and waited another 5 m minutes before crossing the gully and looking for it.

There wasn't a breath of wind, and it was hot. Not very good conditions for the dog to find it in. I kept her in and quietly stalked to where it had been when I fired. Not a sign and apart from sniffing the ground Tilly wasn't very interested. So I sidled the face with her at heel, and there down below me I could see the deer hooked up on some trees. She still wasn't interested so I sent her off to "find", and she shot off in the opposite direction. I could hear her back tracking as I wandered down to the deer and when I was about 10 yards from it she came rushing past and claimed it as her own. She had obviously back tracked and picked up the scent, and then followed it back down to where it was. The deer had travelled about 25 yards from where I had shot it

There was neat little .223 hole where I had aimed high-ish on the shoulder and the 69 grain Sierra Tipped Matchking had penetrated right through and exited out through behind the opposite shoulder. Good performance for a little bullet.

The deer was in a great position for a bone out job which made it easy and it was only 7.00pm so I had plenty of time. Its so much better when when there is plenty of time and you are not fighting nettles in some shitty wet gully.

I saw another deer carrying this one out but I had a good load so I let it be. it was 10pm when I got back to my vehicle and to top off a wonderful evening 2 deer jumped the fence off the road on my way out to the tar seal.

It was 1.15 am when I hopped into bed and announced to my wife "I got one". "That's nice" she said automatically in her sleep.

Name:  IMG_3882.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  5.04 MB

Name:  IMG_3879 3.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  4.73 MB

Name:  IMG_3887 3.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  3.03 MB

And oh, here's my poor man's AR...a shitty old lightweight Savage .223 ...

Name:  IMG_3890.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  3.02 MB
    Last edited by Tahr; 19-12-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Nice to hear your leaving a few deer for the young fellas to chase !! amazing what those little projectiles can do , iv got 1 here iv pinged a few with but haven't been game to shoot at anything around the 200m mark but myn has the 1:12 twist so limited to 55gn
    Tahr likes this.

You have inspired me... my next deer will also fall to a .223.

🦌
    Tahr and Boaraxa like this.

Legend mate
    Tahr likes this.

good shot, good looking dog. what breed?
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    good shot, good looking dog. what breed?
    8 3/4 yr old Geman Wirehaired Pointer bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    8 3/4 yr old Geman Wirehaired Pointer bitch
    Hi @Tahr your bitch is the spitting image of my one and the exact same age also.
    was she breed by Teresa in Okoka, Canterbury ?
    Tahr likes this.

Tahr likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Hi @Tahr your bitch is the spitting image of my one and the exact same age also.
    was she breed by Teresa in Okoka, Canterbury ?
    No, she came from Jason in Hamilton. She's by an Australian dog.

You cant fool me by calling it a Savage, its obviously an evil black gun wearing camouflage and as it's still doing the devils work.
    Tahr, Pointer and Scouser like this.

And the evil .223 will spark heated debates on politics, religion and the US 2nd Amendment.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    did that bullet go through shoulder blade or just ribcage.thats pretty good penetration either way.i thought the matchking where supposed to disintergrate fairly quickly.will put them on the list to try when I get a new 223.
    Top third of shoulder blade and out through the lungs/rib cage. I shot a mature stag with the same bullet a while ago @240 yards and that went right through too (lung shot). I'm impressed by them. Need a fast twist though.
    berg243 likes this.

Oh deer Tahr. Not only an evil one but an ugly Savage to boot. You won't find one in my safe, ... well only if we take two out.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    And the evil .223 will spark heated debates on politics, religion and the US 2nd Amendment.
    And who brought that into this thread?
    Tahr likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Point taken.
    @Tahr, what happened to your hunting diary thread on Fishnhunt? I cant find it.
    Welcome to Sako club.