Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Something a little different

Something a little different

As we snuck through the bush high above the Waimakariri River, I turned to Glen and our eyes conformed that we both had heard the same thing, some sticks and branches snapping as an unseen animal moved towards us under the Beech canopy. I lowered the bolt on my Brno 7mm08 and snuck towards the unsuspecting stag that surely was only seconds away from being shot by a young keen Lincoln University hunter; as we pared over the crest of the ridge I was disappointed to see a large Merino Ram with curly horns moving through the bush. We pulled back and both agreed that at this time of the year a roaring stag was on the menu and nothing else would do. We continued to hunt for the rest of the day without seeing another animal; as we returned to the hut we agreed that I'd pop back down the track bit and shoot the young wether lamb that we had seen first thing in the morning - so that we had something to show for the day! The lamb had disappeared and as I shuffled back to the hut I wondered why we didn't shoot the ram, after all he had quite good horns and neither of us had shot one before.
    That was over twenty years ago and I had regretted that decision for quite some time! I'm lucky to go to the Chatham Islands for work, from time to time and it was on one of those that trips that I planned to go to Pitt Island to chase one of the wild merino rams that habitat the Island.
    I jammed myself in a small Cessna plane with four other North Islanders and we fluttered our way to the grass strip that provides the quickest access to the Pitt Island paradise.
    There's a number of Wild Sheep flocks on the Island, some are contained on farmed land, some are located on rugged costal cliffs and there's a number, along with some wild pigs, in a DOC reserve in the middle of the Island; these sheep are hunted by the Islanders for food and are managed under an agreement with the Department of Conservation. On the Saturday, after a night of darts and drinks (what else do you do on a Friday evening on a small Island) we set off to shoot a lamb for the nights meal. I managed to shoot a nice lamb and we dined in style that night on boil up!
    The following day I started walking from the far end of the DOC reserve, with a plan to walk through the centre of the reserve and hopefully shoot a wild pig or a nice curly ram. I began my walk and stopped to glass from every vantage point, I eventually spied a mob of sheep around a couple of thousand yards away and the stalk began!
    Name:  IMG_2220.JPG
Views: 684
Size:  5.06 MB
    The wind was good and I edged my way towards the mob, constantly glassing to check that they were still there and planning my stalk and looking fo a good place to shoot from. I made my way to a spot within 200 yards and took some more photos and selected what I thought was the best ram in the group.
    Name:  IMG_2225.JPG
Views: 681
Size:  5.07 MB
    I was on a flat ridge and the grass was longer than was good to shoot off, I shuffled back and grabbed my gear and made a rest from my pack and a jacket, I lay my Tikka .308 over the pack/jacket stack and placed the cross hairs on the crease behind the rams shoulder.
    Name:  IMG_2231.JPG
Views: 717
Size:  5.28 MB
    I was relaxed as I could be and the ram of twenty years ago passed though my thoughts as I gently squeezed the trigger and the thump of a solid hit from the 130g TTSX reported back to me. The ram stumbled and eventually fell as the mob ran and stopped on a face to try and work out where the danger had come from, thats the beauty of a good suppressor and the Hardy Rifle Engineering one on my rifle had certainly done its job. I took some more photos and confirmed that I probably had not shot the biggest ram from that flock of sheep - that's great I thought, a really good reason to come back with my son one day soon.
    Name:  IMG_2237.JPG
Views: 751
Size:  6.33 MB
    I packed up all my gear and wandered over to inspect the trophy that I had waited twenty years for, I wasn't disappointed at the ram that lay before me; a gnarly head that would look good on my wall but more importantly remind me of the wonderful adventure I had on a self guided, solo, DOC hunt on a truly remarkable part of our wonderfull country.
    Name:  IMG_2241.JPG
Views: 712
Size:  7.57 MB
    I was with great sadness that I left to fly back to the main Chatham Island, but I couldn't stay for ever...
    Name:  IMG_2270.JPG
Views: 675
Size:  3.27 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    did the plane crash on your way home or just aerobatics. Good story and photos
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Nice looking head gear on the sheep, great series of pictures.

Flight back looks gnarly, good story Craig thanks.

Good stuff Craig thanks for posting.
    I have seen chatams and pitt many times but never set foot on either....its on the bucket list for sure.

I have to call you out on the suppressor comment tho! Are you sponsered by Dan or what?

I know you have hunted more than enough to know animals will react like that Suppressed ,Bare barreled, Braked.
    sneeze and BRADS like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I'd be happy to shoot a ram like that

Damned auto spell checker, eh. I see that it changed "Dad" to "Son". But that's ok, I know that you meant me.
    veitnamcam, nor-west and NRT like this.

NRT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Damned auto spell checker, eh. I see that it changed "Dad" to "Son". But that's ok, I know that you meant me.
    Awesome post would love to chuck darts on the Chatham's DARTS RULE

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Bus driver
    Gidday Craig......did you ever meet a bloke on pitt or chat by the name of paddy lanauze?....he is a mate of mate from Flockhouse ....I spent two weeks out there on pitt,many years ago,.....bit of shearing,fencing and shooting........last I heard he was the local,cocky,cop,publican....the lanauze whanau have been there for donks ..great story mate
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by A330driver View Post
    Gidday Craig......did you ever meet a bloke on pitt or chat by the name of paddy lanauze?....he is a mate of mate from Flockhouse ....I spent two weeks out there on pitt,many years ago,.....bit of shearing,fencing and shooting........last I heard he was the local,cocky,cop,publican....the lanauze whanau have been there for donks ..great story mate
    I’m pretty sure I meet his brother Chippy, his name came up in conversation regardless. It’s a pretty small place!

Bus driver
    Then ...yes you did....thumbs up mate.....yeah mate,a small place.....we were given explicit threats about chasing the sisters...

The CFA ewes we loaded on a barge,cut throats,and went shark fishing,......they do things different out on pit

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    I’m pretty sure I meet his brother Chippy, his name came up in conversation regardless. It’s a pretty small place!
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Great write up Craig! I'll get there one day...

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Good stuff Craig thanks for posting.
    I have seen chatams and pitt many times but never set foot on either....its on the bucket list for sure.

I have to call you out on the suppressor comment tho! Are you sponsered by Dan or what?

I know you have hunted more than enough to know animals will react like that Suppressed ,Bare barreled, Braked.
    I’m currently only sponsored by my wife Cam. I haven’t shot a rifle without a suppressor for so long, I really can’t say. I do find that a suppressor creates more confusion amongst remaining animals.
    I decided to buy a suppressor, many years ago, after watching one of Brian Elworths videos; a guy shoots a couple of deer out of a mob of five deer as they mill around...
    ‘that’ll do he’ says!
    Tahr and veitnamcam like this.

Cool write up Craig, when I was growing up in the waikato and dad was shepherding Monique Croon also was shepherding on the same property, I'm sure she's back on the island now and the family owns the hotel, pretty sure dad still keeps in contact with her. I would love to get ovwr there one day. Even though you were hunting DOC land, is there any kind of koha or costs other than getting there to hunt?
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Cool write up Craig, when I was growing up in the waikato and dad was shepherding Monique Croon also was shepherding on the same property, I'm sure she's back on the island now and the family owns the hotel, pretty sure dad still keeps in contact with her. I would love to get ovwr there one day. Even though you were hunting DOC land, is there any kind of koha or costs other than getting there to hunt?
    Interesting question Ryan. You really need to have contacts over there to hunt there or you need to go through Flower Pot Lodge.
    I certainly took some ‘koha’ with me; smoked king fish, whisky and a number of other things.
    A330driver and Ryan_Songhurst like this.