Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Something different: Hunting with skis

Something different: Hunting with skis

Mostly novelty, not very relevant to NZ I suppose. One of my favorite ways to hunt.

https://youtu.be/Liueu9_rdDQ
    Scouser, Gibo, buell984 and 2 others like this.

Interesting. The Capercallie was the national bird of Scotland I think, and hunted to extinction there. Lives in pine forests so would be an ideal game bird here in NZ. However the greeny purists and DoC would never hear of such an introduction unfortunately.

I have heard their taste is quite strong; how do you prepare and cook them?
    Cheers, Woody.

Nice, what calibre and type of projectile do you use? Where do you aim so as not to destroy all the meat?

GWH
    Very 'cool'. I could imagine that could get a bit frustrating at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Interesting. The Capercallie was the national bird of Scotland I think, and hunted to extinction there. Lives in pine forests so would be an ideal game bird here in NZ. However the greeny purists and DoC would never hear of such an introduction unfortunately.

Cheers, Woody.
    Yes that is correct. It is the most difficult game meat to cook for me, you need to hit very precisely with the temperature or it will be raw/ dry as sand. I put it on a bed of vegetables and sauce, oven cook it to 62 Celsius using a thermometer.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Nice, what calibre and type of projectile do you use? Where do you aim so as not to destroy all the meat?
    6,5x55 and use a target hollowpoint which will open ever so slightly but not expand properly. A FMJ causes too long flight and a hunting bullet would ruin the bird. Aim where the collarbones meet or through the sternum. You do not want to hit is sideways through the chestbone or through the spine from behind.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Very 'cool'. I could imagine that could get a bit frustrating at times.
    It can be I suppose, but the experience of being out has so far been overwhelming so minor things like no birds doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    what rifle is that .its a big bird .be quite cool to do that if it wasn't for those dangerous things on your feet.
    The planks? Nice firewood if they break and you get stuck...
    Scouser likes this.

Terrific! Thank you very much for sharing.
    Have you applied for any Reindyr this year?
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

No I don't have enough reindeer experience to set aside holiday and money investment for a big "maybe". It probably would be stellar hunting if I had lived closer to the areas.

Looks a big bird.....cool vid, thanks for sharing.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Open sighted .22 could be handy, all that scope cap kerfuffle would do my head in

Cool video and interesting way to do things none the less
    Cordite likes this.

Nice video. Reminded me of the Heroes of Telemark and I was half expecting the Norsk Hydro plant to appear in the background.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Nice videos. You guys are driving fast on those icy roads, no wonder some end up on the ditch. Would a 22-250 with and fmj bullet do the trick?
    freelancer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Nice videos. You guys are driving fast on those icy roads, no wonder some end up on the ditch. Would a 22-250 with and fmj bullet do the trick?
    No the 22-250 is too volatile. A medium to slow 6mm to .30 bullet is best.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    are the capercallie normally hunted with a rifle?
    Yes. Some shotgun them over dogs in autumn. I am mentally handicapped with a shotgun, so never manage to seize the opportunity. My friend is brilliant with the shotgun, he has the bird down before I register it has lifted...
    berg243 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post

Cheers, Woody.
    How would you go about importing them anyway? Would someone from a game park or petting zoo get a permit or just say you want them as colourful chickens hahah.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Norway, I am interested in your cooking method and your comments about the bird. I would like to offer my thoughts. Based on what you have said if I were to cook one I would follow your method with some additional steps. I would 'brine' the bird overnight at room temp in a light salt brine,( 20 ltr plastic bucket) then dry it off and brown the skin by rolling it in a hot frypan with clarified butter and oil. Then onto a bed of vegetables, sweet potato or Kumara slices as we call it here works best. But I would assemble this in an oven bag and not just in a covered dish. Tie the oven bag just tightly enough that it will pressurise and inflate during cooking, this slight pressure stops moisture moving out of the cooking bird and actually pushes moisture in. Put some fruit inside the bird as well, say two pears and an apple plus your choice of herbs. Cook for 2.5 hours at an oven thermostat temp of 130 -140c. Because it is a lean bird, you can mash the sweet potato up and blend it as a gravy to serve with the cooked roast.