Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree19Likes
  • 17 Post By Rusky
  • 1 Post By Rusky
  • 1 Post By Nathan F

Thread: Kawekas - Hard times

Kawekas - Hard times

Myself, Nik and 2 others joined us on an expedition into the Kawekas for a few nights this week. Weather looked good on paper but in reality it was cold, wet, windy, snowing and challenging conditions to say the least.

Name:  20180529_090150.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  5.85 MB

We had to really put our thinking caps on and think where the deer would be and sort out our plan of attack each night. Father and son sighted several stags over the week and Nik chose to go bush like myself in the hope of finding them tucked away in a sunny spot out of the wind. This didn't eventuate to much but I did hear a territory call. On our last full day I was preparing to go high and push the body hard covering as much distance as possible like Niks plans. On narrowing a small ridge I looked at a face and low and behold a yearling was out feeding hard, followed by a hind. I tried to get a good resting shot but luck would have it there wasn't one. So I got a rest as best as I could and waited for the yearling to stand broadside. Squeezing the trigger the yearling looked around and took off with no confirmation of a hit. The hind in confusion to where the danger was took off along the face closing the distance between me and her. She slowed up enough with a few whistles and I gave her a crack. The full run down hill confirmed a hit and I was able to track her down to a creek where she came to a rest. On butchering her my knife slipped and gave me a deep cut into my thumb. Insulation tape to the rescue to contain the blood and feeling like an idiot I hiked out the venison back to camp.

Name:  20180529_114939.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  9.50 MB

Father and son had seen a stag out in the open last light so made an attempt to close the distance before they froze of hypothermia. Unfortunately they missed the shot but came back with some great stories. Nik can post up a few more pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Shootm, 199p, Brian and 14 others like this.

Looks cold alright, but at least there were a few animals about to keep you interested. Well done.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Way to go Rusky. That looks bloody cold alright. How was the windchill on the nose and ears?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Way to go Rusky. That looks bloody cold alright. How was the windchill on the nose and ears?
    Lets just say our scopes were icing over and you didn't want to stop moving for more then 10 mins.
    Steve123 likes this.

What part of the kawekas was this in? Seems quite high altitude.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Nice work. Who hasn’t cut them selves... :-)

She certainly was fresh. Awesome seeing the bush like that. Less fun pushing through snow laden bush lawyer however

The Harkness can be arctic .....
    BRADS likes this.