Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Photos and GPS location data

This may have been covered before, worth mentioning all the same.

Had an email from my cuz over in Colorado today. He took some photos of quality pronghorn bucks on a recce in a very remote spot on the Wyoming border a short while ago, just before season opened. His son posted a couple of photos on a local hunting forum and bragged about how he was going to have a successful opening day. What a cock.

Anyway you’ve already worked out what happened... The camera on the phone was set to record location and the GPS co-ords were recorded in the photo exif data and the lad didn’t realise that it was viewable by anyone who downloaded the image. So after a 3 day recce and a long drive and a very, very long hike, the location was top of the pops on the forum after some twat decided to highlight the fact that someone else had done the hard work for him. Season opened and cuz didn’t even bother going. Not happy with his boy.

(Apparently proghorn are in serious decline in some parts of N Colorado and Wyoming)

I know I’ve not checked this before and emailed and texted and posted photos without thinking. So keep that in mind if you’re concerned about revealing the location of your primo hunting spot x. Its easy to strip personal data from photos, especially in Windows, and to set up your camera so it doesn’t do it in the first place.

Rookie mistake. Another simple solution if you're not sure is to open the photo on your computer, then take a screenshot and upload that instead.

If you want to see if your photo (or someone else's) has location data embedded, head over to http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi and upload or paste link to photo.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stretch; 22-08-2018 at 09:21 PM. Reason: *you're