Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 1-14 twist 19" barrel .243 projectile weight for deer under 200m

1-14 twist 19" barrel .243 projectile weight for deer under 200m

Hey all

More questions regarding .243 loads, can anyone give me any guidance on projectile weight range for a 1-14 twist 19" barrel ?
    Have been trying a few different projectiles from 75-90 gr without much sucess.

Thanks in advance
    Strider

Your barrel must be an ex 6mmPPC target barrel with that twist rate. Check out the range of weights for 6mmPPC bullets on the internet. The classic weights for that twist are around 68-75gr. I've killed goats with Sierra 75gr bullets (from a 243), quite dead on the spot. Shorter 80gr bullets (flat base, soft point) may be accurate.
    Moa Hunter and Jaco Goosen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    Your barrel must be an ex 6mmPPC target barrel with that twist rate. Check out the range of weights for 6mmPPC bullets on the internet. The classic weights for that twist are around 68-75gr. I've killed goats with Sierra 75gr bullets (from a 243), quite dead on the spot. Shorter 80gr bullets (flat base, soft point) may be accurate.
    I posted earlier about finding out my twist rate, its an old tikka M55 not the sporter modle, 17mm barrel diameter. All the research I have done points at 1-14 but it could be 1-12 perhaps?
    Cheers for the info.

The general rule is 70gr max with the 1-14" but unfortunately that really doesnt leave you with many harder deer suitable bullets at .243 speeds. Most 70gr are light jacketed and explosive varmint bullets but I have recently found the Sierra 75gr HP Varminter a great bullet in the 1-14" twist and they have heavier jackets to deal with a bit more velocity.
    For those ranges on deer personally Id load the 75gr to mag length at 2900- 3000fps for the best bullet terminal performance and use 34 to 34.5gr of ADI 2206H in that shorter barrel for a better burn with a reduced load.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    The general rule is 70gr max with the 1-14" but unfortunately that really doesnt leave you with many harder deer suitable bullets at .243 speeds. Most 70gr are light jacketed and explosive varmint bullets but I have recently found the Sierra 75gr HP Varminter a great bullet in the 1-14" twist and they have heavier jackets to deal with a bit more velocity.
    For those ranges on deer personally Id load the 75gr to mag length at 2900- 3000fps for the best bullet terminal performance and use ADI 2206H in that shorter barrel for a better burn with a reduced load.
    Thanks heaps for that, I was concerned about using varmint projectiles on reds but the sierra sounds like its worth a try. I have been using H414 because I could get hold of any 2209 that I used for the winchester untimate shadow .243 loads to good effect. I do however have plenty of 2206H that I use for my .308.

Oh just read your other thread stating its a Tikka M55. Probably wont be able to load them to that mag length so just seat them as close to the lands a poss leaving no less than 40-50% bullet to neck contact to keep them nice and concentric.
    1-14" seems slow for an old Tikka, does it have "Bofors steel" stamped on the barrel?

The earlier LSA-55 and M595 .243 win was a 1-10" twist so unless your barrel has been replaced Id be willing to bet its a 1-10" too.
    Last edited by Wingman; 04-01-2020 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    Oh just read your other thread stating its a Tikka M55. Probably wont be able to load them to that mag length so just seat them as close to the lands a poss leaving no less than 40-50% bullet to neck contact to keep them nice and concentric.
    1-14" seems slow for an old Tikka, does it have "Bofors steel" stamped on the barrel?
    Stamps on barrel

Oy Tikkakasi Ab
    Made in Finland

More than happy to be corrected on barrel twist if ive cocked it up tho!

Cheers

Take it to a gunsmith to get it checked out.
    1:14 pretty limiting as far a deer bullets are concerned.
    Good advice from wingman above
    BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial

Zero percent chance your .243 is a 1:14" twist if it is original.

Start again with the twist rate check buddy, find something that will work.

The history of the .243 Win is all about the 1:10" twist. The failed .244 Rem was 1:12" but the .243 Win was always 1:10" which is why it succeeded. Then Remington introduced 1:9.125" and Savage with the 1:9.25". None of the main manufacturers ever produced a 1:14" .243.

I'll eat my stinky hat if your rifle is 1:14" with an original barrel. If someone has rechambered a 1:14" twist 6mm barrel in .243, then its a bodged up varmint rifle. Sorry to be so blunt. Doesn't mean to say you can't use it to shoot deer, you just need to treat it like a "6mm 22-250" and shoot superfast 50 or 60 grain bullets and head / neck shoot them.
    Moa Hunter and matagouri like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Flat base 75 gr Serria, and hornardy, both shoot in my 1-14 twist PPC's and 6x47, should work in a .243, with a 1-14 twist.
    Pretty limiting twist for general hunting, great for small game.

[QUOTE=Flyblown;938019]Zero percent chance your .243 is a 1:14" twist if it is original.

The history of the .243 Win is all about the 1:10" twist. The failed .244 Rem was 1:12" but the .243 Win was always 1:10" which is why it succeeded. Then Remington introduced 1:9.125" and Savage with the 1:9.25". None of the main manufacturers ever produced a 1:14" .243.

I'll eat my stinky hat if your rifle is 1:14" with an original barrel. If someone has rechambered a 1:14" twist 6mm barrel in .243, then its a bodged up varmint rifle. Sorry to be so blunt. Doesn't mean to say you can't use it to shoot deer, you just need to treat it like a "6mm 22-250" and shoot superfast 50 or 60 grain bullets and head / neck shoot them.[/QUOT

Cheers Flyblown
    Ill have another crack at putting the patch through it the rifle is in its original condition so ive probably just cocked up! Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Zero percent chance your .243 is a 1:14" twist if it is original.

I'll eat my stinky hat if your rifle is 1:14" with an original barrel. If someone has rechambered a 1:14" twist 6mm barrel in .243, then its a bodged up varmint rifle. Sorry to be so blunt. Doesn't mean to say you can't use it to shoot deer, you just need to treat it like a "6mm 22-250" and shoot superfast 50 or 60 grain bullets and head / neck shoot them.

Well I polked brushes and patches and things up the barrel a bunch of times, it may have been my technique but I got slightly different measurements each time but i averaged it out to be closer to 1-10 than 1-12 or 1-14 so will go with that. Thanks for your help, back to the drawing board to working up a load!
    veitnamcam and Flyblown like this.

It'll be a 1:10".

You have many bullet options, well covered many times. Two options stand out for me.

1. Sierra Pro-Hunter 100gr soft point. Proven the world over to be a deadly performer in 1:10" twist at 2800-2900fps MV. Have used this for years and taken more deer with it that all the others in different calibres added together.
    2. Sierra Gameking 85gr hollow point boat tail. A little harder than the Pro-Hunter, can be driven at 3100fps+ MV without difficulty. Brilliant all-purpose .243 bullet.
    Just...say...the...word

Going back to your comment about "not much success", you need to be very systematic in your load development, and find the accuracy nodes. 243 can be a bit finnikity, but not too bad, considering the age of your rifle have you had the bore checked for condition?
    Just...say...the...word

Cheers Flyblown I have certainly not been as systematic as I could have been so far with the development for my .243 tho, I have tried 5 different projectiles but started working loads up from the upper 1/2 of the reloading manual loads. Perhaps im missing a node with a lighter load?

Gadgetman has been kind enough to give me some guidance in person so hopefully I can crack this nut in the not too distant future!

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciate it.