Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 110 grainers in 270win

110 grainers in 270win

Hi all,

Just looking for some general feedback regarding loading 110 grainers in my 270. No particular reason but may pursue this later if the mood takes me and given ongoing component supply issues I may plan for this in the future.

Rifle is a Remington Mountain with a swapped in standard 700 barrel cut to 22”, 1:10 twist to improve balance and consistency without too much weight gain.
    A bit of a shot in the dark but I had a spare barrel and action so what the hell. Very pleased with the result.

Please share your thoughts/experiences on this or any other lighter bullet weights.

Regards, Sidetrack
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

What are you planning on shooting ?

Smile

I have a heap of sierra 110gr projectiles I'm contemplating testing out too. The guy i got them from has used them on deer pigs etc for years he highly recommends them.
    rewa and Sidetrack like this.

Bos
    Used these on goats years ago while living in Central
    Looking back at my notes I used 52 Gr of 4895 back in the day, through a Sako Finnbear. The most accurate load I ever found in that rifle - like clover leaf at 100

Used 110 Hornady, later 110 Barnes.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    What are you planning on shooting ?
    Not sure, just finding out if anyone found them functional on a range of game and in what situations. Have Reds, Fallow and Goats locally.
    Like the idea of a faster stepping bullet without getting exotic.

The whole idea of 270 is light bullet going fast and flat. Drop it to 110gr and it's going to be faster and flatter... to a point.

Not all bullets are created equal. Make sure the one you pick is appropriate for the type of animals you'll be shooting at the impact velocities it'll hit them at.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Quote Originally Posted by Bos View Post
    Used these on goats years ago while living in Central
    Looking back at my notes I used 52 Gr of 4895 back in the day, through a Sako Finnbear. The most accurate load I ever found in that rifle - like clover leaf at 100
    Grew up hunting goats, rabbits, etc in Central. Love that country. Was thinking the 270 with 110’s would give me a useful second gun when hunting lighter game with beginners. Better for them to carry/shoot the 223.

I shoot the 110g Barnes at deer. No issues yet but haven't stretched the legs because I haven't had the opportunity to shoot one past 100m yet. I won't be afraid to have a crack because they shoot very nice in my gun.
    Moa Hunter and rewa like this.

its ALL about projectile construction....barnes will reem a deer lengthways and a hornady HP wont exit a hare....... the barnes will kill reds with ease but be slower than a cup n core and the hornady hp will only do so if hit in earhole or slipped in between ribs...it will be bloody mess.
    there are lots of inbetweens that should work fine,you are basically turning rifle into a .243
    silentscope and Moa Hunter like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    I shoot the 110g Barnes at deer. No issues yet but haven't stretched the legs because I haven't had the opportunity to shoot one past 100m yet. I won't be afraid to have a crack because they shoot very nice in my gun.
    I use the Sako Powerhead II (Barnes 110 .277) .270 load for work which provides ammo (they stipulate 'lead free' only ammo... best forget it has a lead styphanate primer in it!)

Anyway, works fine out to around 200m, but after that you'll start seeing anomalies in ballistic performance, both mid flight and terminal. Don't rate the bullet and don't think it's a particularly good load either TBH.

Yes, MV might be around the 3,300 fps mark but with such a light, low BC bullet you'll lose any 'advantage' to a slower 130 grain+ lead bullet once you hit 300m.

Comparing the Hornady Precision Hunter 145 grain load in my own rifle with a shorter barrel vs. the work rifle with the Sako load at 300m on targets, night and day in favor of the former!
    7mmwsm, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

110gr pro-hunters are devastating on goats . I intend to try the harder Game-Kings at some stage. I'd imagine the p-h's would be the same on fallow at sensible ranges

Worked up a load with the 110 pro hunters and shot one deer at reasonably close range with it, killed the deer but made a hell of a mess, looked like a grenade had gone off behind its shoulder. I imagine they would work a bit better once slowed down a bit but then a 150gr would work better fullstop.
    7mmwsm and Micky Duck like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Better off with soft 130s like a sierra. Open up quick and work well on goats and lighter deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneakywaza I got
    Mostly run 130gn Speer Hotcor or 130gn Hornady Sp at 3100 and they just flat out work. Bloke name of Johnny Bissel shot hundreds of deer with the Hornady 110hp, but: he loaded them back a bit at 3100fps, he found they killed well often getting pass through on average deer, my normal go with a lighter pill is to make them go fast as, new plan - have played with the 110hp, starting them at 3100 ,sub 1/2 moa and holds that at 300yds, gonna try them on bigger hoppers before looking at deer though and it will be as always: behind the shoulder or in the neck.

Neither of my 270's will shoot the Bergers without burning powder and pills to find "the load" otherwise I'd be the VLD all day.