Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 123 eldm, anyone using them?

123 eldm, anyone using them?

Just before the great lock down I got my mod 7 260 shooting. I tried the vld 130s 1st and they sprayed all over the show. I then tried the 123 eldm and they are dead accurate. 3 shots touching consistently. It's a mild load behind 2209 doing 2840 out of a 20" barrel. Does anyone have experience with these pills on game? Will be going straight to the ruahines once we are released.

Shot a 70mm group at 400 yards on a windy day so am extremely happy with their accuracy. Just dont know about their performance.

Name:  received_1066988847007737.jpeg
Views: 598
Size:  9.3 KB
    tikka, GWH, 25 /08 IMP and 1 others like this.

I also shoot them at 2840 fps into nice small groups.

So far I've shot a few wallabies with them and they worked well. Stumbled across some pigs one day - took one down with a spinal shot. Second one took two rounds in the chest - it was very sick but we put a head shot in to make sure it didn't suffer or go any further. The very first pig shot had been with a 6.5 Grendel to the back of the head - instant lights out. Both the pigs I shot were trying to leave the neighbourhood rapidly otherwise they would have got head shots as well. Range was 200 metres

When butchering them we came to the conclusion they were a little soft for pigs. In fairness we hadn't expected to see pigs, otherwise I would have had the 143 Eld-X on hand. The gristle shield on a pig is impressive!

Since then we've shot a few deer (with other projectiles) - looking at deer anatomy makes me feel confident they would be fine for fallow and red yearlings or hinds with the right placement. Would choose something more stout for red stags if we went looking for them - some of the big boys I've seen on here look very solid!
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    I also shoot them at 2840 fps into nice small groups.

So far I've shot a few wallabies with them and they worked well. Stumbled across some pigs one day - took one down with a spinal shot. Second one took two rounds in the chest - it was very sick but we put a head shot in to make sure it didn't suffer or go any further. The very first pig shot had been with a 6.5 Grendel to the back of the head - instant lights out. Both the pigs I shot were trying to leave the neighbourhood rapidly otherwise they would have got head shots as well. Range was 200 metres

When butchering them we came to the conclusion they were a little soft for pigs. In fairness we hadn't expected to see pigs, otherwise I would have had the 143 Eld-X on hand. The gristle shield on a pig is impressive!

Since then we've shot a few deer (with other projectiles) - looking at deer anatomy makes me feel confident they would be fine for fallow and red yearlings or hinds with the right placement. Would choose something more stout for red stags if we went looking for them - some of the big boys I've seen on here look very solid!
    This is positive, I'm a firm believer in once you get something shooting leave it alone... have purchased a 300 wsm that all going well will be my regular carry rifle but dont want to feel undergunned with the 260. I dont believe the heavies are an option in my 260 if it can't stabilise the 130 vlds. If the 123s hold up on pigs this definitely inspires some confidence

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    This is positive, I'm a firm believer in once you get something shooting leave it alone... have purchased a 300 wsm that all going well will be my regular carry rifle but dont want to feel undergunned with the 260. I dont believe the heavies are an option in my 260 if it can't stabilise the 130 vlds. If the 123s hold up on pigs this definitely inspires some confidence
    Have you tried any heavier than 130 yet? Is it possible that you experienced fickle VLD weirdness?

Is your 260 a 1:9 or 1:8 twist?

My rifle shoots all the heavier Hornady bullets very well. Recently put down my first two deer with the 143 Eld-X - one base of neck shot, the other just behind leg through lung and liver. Both worked spot on. They hanfg on to velocity extremely well. Grab a sample pack and give them a go!

Mines a 1:9, I read a few threads on here, a good one by @GWH where he had the same issue and it would appear so did a few others. Kind of figured if I couldnt stabilise a 130 I'd be shit outta luck in the 140 range. Was more just wondering about the 123eldm performance. Theres not alot of info on it. More so on the 123amax but still stuff all.

Huk
    Any of the 130- 140 flat base bullets will stabilise not as good on the bc front though

I've shot them out of a Grendel at goats and deer and they are very messy at Grendel speeds.
    300_BLK, Mathias and Steelisreal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Huk View Post
    Any of the 130- 140 flat base bullets will stabilise not as good on the bc front though
    Like the Remington Corelokt that popped up here a couple of days ago! https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....85/#post983576

Or the Hornady 129 or 140 grain Interlocks. BC isn't as good as the shiny new super pointy plastic tipped stuff, but still pretty good compared to many other common weight bullets in other common calibres.

Edit: I should have said I definitely won't be shooting at pigs with the 123 Eld-M again if only offered a chest shot. I have started carrying the Eld-X rounds now as well when out looking for wallabies, just in case something bigger and tasty shows up

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I've shot them out of a Grendel at goats and deer and they are very messy at Grendel speeds.
    The shots at the pigs impacted at 2450fps which tallies with your experience.

I started using these as I struggled to get the lighter bullets to shoot as well as the heavies in my rifle. And originally they were a fair bit cheaper than the Eld-X and shot a bit flatter at hunting ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    Mines a 1:9, I read a few threads on here, a good one by @GWH where he had the same issue and it would appear so did a few others. Kind of figured if I couldnt stabilise a 130 I'd be shit outta luck in the 140 range. Was more just wondering about the 123eldm performance. Theres not alot of info on it. More so on the 123amax but still stuff all.
    120 NBT is a bloody good bullet in 6.5.

GWH
    Ive shot a few deer with them, higest impact velocity was 2400 fps. Base of neck on a fallow, hammered it with a fist sized exit hole.

Shot a big bodied red stag just behind the shoulder with an impact velocity of around 2100 fps and the bullet appeared to perform well and imparted a fair amount of internal shock and damage.

Also as mentioned above, the 120gr NBT and the 120gr Pro hunter both work extremerly well.

Ive got a few 120 NBT spare if you want to try them @cameronjackwhite . PM me your address.
    cameronjackwhite likes this.

My two loads

Name:  C8FD318E-5827-40BF-9478-54D89F7E2CFA.jpeg
Views: 499
Size:  676.8 KB

123gn eldm 42.5gn reloader 16
    Lapua srp brass
    Ccibr4
    Oal 2.858”
    2900fps 5 shot average

Load 2 120 gn speer gold dot
    Name:  DAE42694-2208-4896-BD66-F01EDC1BFBD8.jpeg
Views: 508
Size:  1.37 MB

44.0gn reloader 16
    Lapua srp brass
    Cci 450
    2.759”oal longest I can make it with enough bearing Surface in the neck

Way slower at 2838 5 shot avg
    Which is funny as a full 1.5gn more powder and a magnum primer

Out of a howa 20 inch 6.5 creedmoor

Shot a deer with both loads now and both killed very well
    superdiver and Steelisreal like this.

Forgot to say that the eldm has 0.010 jump to lans in my howa
    The gold dot has something silly like.260 ive forgotten the actual number
    I put this as the reason for slower speed

I had a 260 before creedmoor only went to creedmoor as the rifle I wanted didn’t offer 260

I used 120gn remington coreloct in the 260 and the gold dot reminds me alot of that no longer available 120 coreloct
    Except it has much better bc than the coreloct

Awesome to read so far, have heard real good things about the nbt 120s and will possibly try them aswel at some point but glad people are getting good performance from eldm. Going off Clint's post those velocities line up with mine out to 500 yards, which is more than I'd like to push this thing anyhow.