Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Stager BLK


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 12g round balls

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    huntly
    Posts
    195

    12g round balls

    Has anyone ever tried loading 12g shells with cast round balls say around .690"? If so what wads do you use and how did you crimp?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    canterbury
    Posts
    2,467
    I use .690 balls in my 12 bore musket
    550 grains and minute of deer at 50m

    Can flick you a few to try
    No idea about wads in a cartridge shotgun
    I'm using in a muzzleloader

    Name:  20210204_101339.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  875.5 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    huntly
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    I use .690 balls in my 12 bore musket
    550 grains and minute of deer at 50m

    Can flick you a few to try
    No idea about wads in a cartridge shotgun
    I'm using in a muzzleloader

    Attachment 184259
    Thanks @akaroa1. I already have the roundballs, just like to know other peoples experience if any.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    King Country
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post
    Has anyone ever tried loading 12g shells with cast round balls say around .690"? If so what wads do you use and how did you crimp?
    Thanks
    Winchester 1 1/4 yellow wads and standard fold crimp. I found the accuracy from a cylinder choke 18" to be dismal compared to a lee 1 oz slug. The novelty factor soon wore off. Velocity with a healthy dose of APN70 netted around 1300 fps.
    mimms2 likes this.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    The 'Naki
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    Winchester 1 1/4 yellow wads and standard fold crimp. I found the accuracy from a cylinder choke 18" to be dismal compared to a lee 1 oz slug. The novelty factor soon wore off. Velocity with a healthy dose of APN70 netted around 1300 fps.
    Did you try balls with a hole through the center? Did they whistle?
    outlander likes this.
    Try harder....

  6. #6
    Member Marty Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    5,203
    2 pinex or fibre wads a little rolled oats seat the ball on that then cover with more rolled oats. Top with a card wad and roll crimp to keep it in place. If you are star crimping you may need to vary the height of the column, the easiest way is with the porridge so you get a proper crimp.
    Also for accuracy it's best to have the sprue consistently orientated the same way, up is easiest to see.
    mimms2 likes this.

  7. #7
    Forgotten but not gone
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Taranaki
    Posts
    4,446
    In a previous life I have been known to pry open the crimp on a shotshell , pour out the shot , drop in a glass marble , fill the gap with creme of wheat , shove the crimp back down and go shoot goats at close range .....
    Be more involved and less impressed.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    South Otago
    Posts
    2,861
    Then there’s the old trick of opening the crimp, tipping the shot onto a plate which was placed on the coal range (told you it was an old trick) to heat up the pour the shot back into the shell and tip some molten wax over the shot and let it set - viola, instant slug!
    takbok likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    King Country
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Did you try balls with a hole through the center? Did they whistle?
    No I didn't, sounds like a brilliant idea. I did manage to create a sound like Ian Anderson's flute of Jethro Tull fame, by filing tiny divots on the east side of the ball and then pumping the gun furiously.
    Jhon likes this.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    huntly
    Posts
    195
    @Finnwolf. Pour molted lead back into the shell? Would of thought something like that would damage the wad or worst?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    South Otago
    Posts
    2,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post
    @Finnwolf. Pour molted lead back into the shell? Would of thought something like that would damage the wad or worst?

    The shot pellets were just heated and poured back into the shell.
    Reason: so the poured in molten wax would trickle all the way through the shot column (and not solidify/set in the top half inch or so as it would with unheated shot)
    Marty Henry likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

  12. #12
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    11,544
    1oz ball...use one oz shot data........plenty of people have just tipped the shot out of clay target load and replaced with solid of some discription of similar weight....

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Western BoP
    Posts
    6,984
    Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    No I didn't, sounds like a brilliant idea. I did manage to create a sound like Ian Anderson's flute of Jethro Tull fame, by filing tiny divots on the east side of the ball and then pumping the gun furiously.
    What happened if you turned around and fired the other way? Did you get the tune whistled backwards?

    As far as the solid balls, how do these things go for ricochet and bouncing? Interest spiked in terminal performance here!
    outlander likes this.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    King Country
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    What happened if you turned around and fired the other way? Did you get the tune whistled backwards?

    As far as the solid balls, how do these things go for ricochet and bouncing? Interest spiked in terminal performance here!
    I'll try that tomorrow... Terminal performance is second to none and I have the photo evidence. I managed to blow my chrony six metres off the shooting bench with one. I still use the thing and all readings are the same as before, even though it looks like a torn ass. Never found the ball so ricochet and bounce seems to pass muster as well.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Western BoP
    Posts
    6,984
    Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    even though it looks like a torn ass.
    Um, what does a 'torn ass' look like (asking for a friend)?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. 50mm tow balls
    By Beetroot in forum Outdoor Transport
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 26-10-2020, 06:09 PM
  2. A balls up....(Part 2).
    By greendog243 in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 22-07-2016, 09:43 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!