Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: 16” 3006

16” 3006

Hiya in my wisdom I just brought a 16” 3006, anyone else running one and what projectile powder combo ? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneakywaza I got
    "Wisdom" such a misused word........

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    "Wisdom" such a misused word........
    Being sarcastic but it is pretty cool aswell

Caretaker
    150g Gamekings

ADi 2208 powder
    buzzman and dannyb like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    Hiya in my wisdom I just brought a 16” 3006, anyone else running one and what projectile powder combo ? Cheers

Oh No
    Quick rebarrel to 9.3 x62 or 35 Whelen and go shoot, well whatever you like really.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think you’ve actually bought a flamethrower.

NRT
    125 SST Win 460

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

NRT
    Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post
    125 SST Win 460

Typo Win 760

Gone but not forgotten
    Factory ammo - you'll be selling it soon anyway!
    257weatherby, 300CALMAN and dannyb like this.

Be a noisey bitch.

Rechamber to 308.

@buzzman When we were touring& hunting around Australia ,we got to be good friends with a well known Sambar Hunting Hound Crew .They all used cut down 30/06 ,9.3 x62 or 35 Whelen Woody's etc & 9.3 x62 or 35 Whelens.

For a lot of the load Data if you go into old Handloaders’ Guide data, put out by the various manufacturers ,before the Fun Police took over they list loads for 15 inch "Pistols" in all sorts of wild & wonderful flame throwers.

I used my Rem Mountain Rifle in 06 around the world as my back up gun while guiding & took 100's of game animals with it rabbits to Buffalo my favorite loads out of it's 20" barrel & allowing for the fact the rifle was carried in Dash Clips in open jeeps, in full sun, in hot climates so all loads are mild in my rifle .They were

For pigs/goats/ chammy& Snack Pack Fallow & Reds the the Nosler 125gn Ballistic Tip pushed along at just under 3300fps .

For larger pigs/ deer out in the open to 400mtr use any good 150gn bullet (l preferred 150gn Woodleigh and the 150gn Barnes TSX )pushed at around 3000fps.

For hunting in the thick stuff or Roaring in Stags any 180gn bullet doing around about 2750fps.

My favorite all round load for all things Kiwi was something like the 165gn Woodleigh pushing just under 2800fp, Nosler 168gn E-Tip driven at 2800fps or 167gn Lapua Scenar at around 2800 fps. These will handle any angling shot & my preferred shot aiming to take out the off side shoulder ,l took my last Wap with the 165gn Woodleigh in thick scrub doing exactly that.

While in Arnhem Land l took truck loads of Buff,Scrub Bulls & Jesus Taxis as well as Elk & Moose overseas with the 180gn Woodleigh pushed along at around 2800fps.

So in reality any load out of your Zippo heading in the direction of any of these will work out fine for our thin skinned game .

AR2209 is my powder of choice for the mighty 06

Here as a example is the ADI 15" inch "Pistols" loads for the 06

Name:  RED Sambar Woody loads Sml.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  96.9 KB

Good luck with putting the BANG into Bang Stick with your new mini flamethrower ,make sure to keep us updated. IMO a 300WM rated Suppressor would turn it into a pussy cat
    jakewire, buzzman and Micky Duck like this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

I would definitely go for the faster powder like AR2206H first. It's possibly going to give a bit less fire! It may also be a little more consistent in the short barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    @buzzman When we were touring& hunting around Australia ,we got to be good friends with a well known Sambar Hunting Hound Crew .They all used cut down 30/06 ,9.3 x62 or 35 Whelen Woody's etc & 9.3 x62 or 35 Whelens.

For a lot of the load Data if you go into old Handloaders’ Guide data, put out by the various manufacturers ,before the Fun Police took over they list loads for 15 inch "Pistols" in all sorts of wild & wonderful flame throwers.

I used my Rem Mountain Rifle in 06 around the world as my back up gun while guiding & took 100's of game animals with it rabbits to Buffalo my favorite loads out of it's 20" barrel & allowing for the fact the rifle was carried in Dash Clips in open jeeps, in full sun, in hot climates so all loads are mild in my rifle .They were

For pigs/goats/ chammy& Snack Pack Fallow & Reds the the Nosler 125gn Ballistic Tip pushed along at just under 3300fps .

For larger pigs/ deer out in the open to 400mtr use any good 150gn bullet (l preferred 150gn Woodleigh and the 150gn Barnes TSX )pushed at around 3000fps.

For hunting in the thick stuff or Roaring in Stags any 180gn bullet doing around about 2750fps.

My favorite all round load for all things Kiwi was something like the 165gn Woodleigh pushing just under 2800fp, Nosler 168gn E-Tip driven at 2800fps or 167gn Lapua Scenar at around 2800 fps. These will handle any angling shot & my preferred shot aiming to take out the off side shoulder ,l took my last Wap with the 165gn Woodleigh in thick scrub doing exactly that.

While in Arnhem Land l took truck loads of Buff,Scrub Bulls & Jesus Taxis as well as Elk & Moose overseas with the 180gn Woodleigh pushed along at around 2800fps.

So in reality any load out of your Zippo heading in the direction of any of these will work out fine for our thin skinned game .

AR2209 is my powder of choice for the mighty 06

Here as a example is the ADI 15" inch "Pistols" loads for the 06

Attachment 187377

Good luck with putting the BANG into Bang Stick with your new mini flamethrower ,make sure to keep us updated. IMO a 300WM rated Suppressor would turn it into a pussy cat
    Cheers thank you, to be fair it’s not that load and doesn’t boot to bad with the hardy compact that’s on it

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Factory ammo - you'll be selling it soon anyway!
    No doubt about that