Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By Backsteaks
  • 1 Post By keengunNic
  • 1 Post By Rock river arms hunter
  • 1 Post By Backsteaks

Thread: 168 TMK in 308 load development

168 TMK in 308 load development

Have recently finished my very basic load development for the 168 grain Sierra tipped match king getting pushed by 2208 in my old Tikka t3 .308 with a 22” barrel and DPT supressor. Before starting the load development I had a bit of a look on here and noticed there wasn’t much information about anyone running these TMKs in a 308. Thought I would throw up my results, might be of Interest to someone considering these projectiles seem to be reasonably readily available still.

Did a rough ladder test from 42 grains through to 46 grains while trying not to waste too much powder on paper. These were at a COAL of 2.110 off the ogive. This was as long as would fit in my standard tikka Mag. There was nothing extremely accurate at that length but 44 grains and 45.5 grains looked promising. I started seeing slight pressure signs at 46 grains.
    I then loaded up a few rounds at 45.5 at different seating depths

2.095 OAL gave me just over a half inch group. I loaded up another 6 at that. Another 3 shot group at around half an inch. That will do me! After shooting at 400 yards to work out the drop, shooter app tells me these must be going around 2690 FPS.
    Good to go
    Name:  ED9F1E14-CAC2-4483-8B5D-33546103E0E5.jpeg
Views: 693
Size:  2.33 MBName:  ED9F1E14-CAC2-4483-8B5D-33546103E0E5.jpeg
Views: 693
Size:  2.33 MB
    jakewire, Tahr, veitnamcam and 3 others like this.

Awesome mate, should be a solid load to cover most practical hunting ranges
    Backsteaks likes this.

@Backsteaks

I have a vanguard 20" dpt suppressed and use the same pill and powder so I can offer you some insight.

I just full length size some once fired Lapua 308 brass.

44.5gr 2208 and COAL Is 2.850 which gives half MOA and is doing 2680fps.

I have pondered to try the 45.0 load but.... being that mine shoots like it does as the saying goes why fix what ain't broken.

If you need anymore info on the round etc flick me a PM with you're number and I'll give you a bell. Am happy to share what I know
    Backsteaks likes this.

All my 308’s have been fed 44gr 2208 for about 2650fps
    Warm Barrels!

45 grains for mine with 168's in my single shot. Loaded long. 18" barrel. 2630fps.

@Rock river arms hunter. Thanks very much for that. I’m plenty Happy enough with the load for now, will do all that I want it to. Appreciate the offer

I may have quite a slow barrel. A 165 BTSP with 44 grains of 2208 only gives me about 2540 out of my 22 inch barrel… and that kills fine still just slower than what most seem to get.
    I have been toying with the idea of cutting my 308 down to 19” to make it slightly more compact but with the slower barrel may keep it as is to keep the tmk going over 2600

@Backsteaks

Well I personally think I'd be happy with sacrificing the barrel length even if it meant going to a 20" barrel. I don't think the deer could tell you the difference and those TMKs are frankly rather devastating. If you happen to find some 168gr A Max's I've found that the load for either the TMK or A max is exactly the same(load wise).Albeit work up again just incase it's a fluke in my rifle .

Up close they go off like a grenade and I often find what's left of the projectile on the exiting side on the underside of the skin. Or bits of mushroomed projectile

The length hasn’t really bothered me as I take the supressor off when heading into the tops but am curious to see what it could do at 19” and leave the supressor on on tops trips where bashing through the bush first is necessary.
    I have a Couple hundred of these TMKs to get through so will keep using them. Preferred them to the amax in another rifle at higher speeds and I am expecting that to be the case here too. Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by Backsteaks View Post
    Have recently finished my very basic load development for the 168 grain Sierra tipped match king getting pushed by 2208 in my old Tikka t3 .308 with a 22” barrel and DPT supressor. Before starting the load development I had a bit of a look on here and noticed there wasn’t much information about anyone running these TMKs in a 308. Thought I would throw up my results, might be of Interest to someone considering these projectiles seem to be reasonably readily available still.

Did a rough ladder test from 42 grains through to 46 grains while trying not to waste too much powder on paper. These were at a COAL of 2.110 off the ogive. This was as long as would fit in my standard tikka Mag. There was nothing extremely accurate at that length but 44 grains and 45.5 grains looked promising. I started seeing slight pressure signs at 46 grains.
    I then loaded up a few rounds at 45.5 at different seating depths

2.095 OAL gave me just over a half inch group. I loaded up another 6 at that. Another 3 shot group at around half an inch. That will do me! After shooting at 400 yards to work out the drop, shooter app tells me these must be going around 2690 FPS.
    Good to go
    Attachment 176242Attachment 176242
    The 168 SMKs which are also drawn from the back have a small hollow point but are essentially designed for target use. Does anyone have any experience in using these or the 155gn Palma bullets for hunting. Im unsure whether they would expand or not.
    cheers

I’ve only just got back into the 308 in March this year after a 10 year break, needed a medium range rifle and got a cheap second hand Tikka 308 and chopped to barrel down to 16” and a 7 baffle Dpt .
    Been running 168gr eld-m and 168gr A-max shot 40+ deer out to 300m - 420m mostly with single shot kills if I get a good rest. For deer stalking been using 178gr eld-x.

168gr eld-m / a-max Sub MOA accuracy with 44.2gr AR2208 @ 2550fps, COAL 2.830”

I have only just stated loading the 168gr TMK using the load as above with same results but haven’t validated on steel at distance yet or shot any animals yet. Once this COVID-19 lockdown over and the forestry/ DOC roads are sorted from the Marlborough floods I can test theses loads and some new loads for the 300blackout as well.