Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By Rees
  • 2 Post By Rees

Thread: 170 FN .30-06

170 FN .30-06

Anyone else loading this combo for bush hunting?

is @Carlson Highway on board?

I tried 150gr FN initially, for the 30-30 but in the 30-06... i loaded around 46g of 2206h at first and shot some Fallows durin the Rut, i pulled the remaining 150 FN an replaced them with 170gr FN interlocks and have just sighted these in for some trigger time mostly but to shoot a Sambar with one day when i run into another one..

these compliment the 180gr PPSN woodleigh load of 45gr 2208 and i am hoping to find a sweet spot for both loads to use side by side... the 180 PPSN are solid Stag medicines an the 170gr FN should hold up very well for say 200m over summer, wont be useless on a Fallow either i wouldnt rekon.

i am keen to test the trajectory though for schit an gigs side by side with a pointed round.. let yas know when that happens.

shootin these out of a A bolt .30-06

I used to use a lot of round nose bullets in my 308 before I sold it, out to 300 yards using a 200 yds zero i found there is effectively no practical difference in trajectory between the round nose and a spitzer bullet starting out at the same speed for both. I have no scientific proof that back it up but I believe that the rn bullets may be more effective at those ranges than the spire points based on the aparrent amount of damage caused.
    Micky Duck and Rees like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I load them in my 308. Fairly mild loads but still humming along faster than the 30-30, and do a lot of damage. Back in the mid 90’s I shot a couple of goats, as I walked towards them I found the ball joint of a hind leg lying on the ground!
    Rees likes this.

I’ve never used 30/30 pills on my 08 or 06 but did look into it. The 170 are not meant to be any stiffer than the 150s, just that some rifles shoot them a bit more accurately. I’d use regular 150s

Thanks for the replies, i have found an accurate load with the 170s and today shot them at 200m and 330m , i wasnt shooting groups but checking the drop for that distance, it printed -4 and -25 respectively....... i rekon thats with about 1.5- 2 inch high at 100 zero....
    im yet to put that data next to the 180 ppsn load..
    one is 45gr 2208 and one is 46gr 2206h , so thats interesting to relate to your data @Arthur McBride !

i did dig some projies out of dirt the 180ppsn an 170 FN.... interesting. yet to field test but confident.
    Arthur McBride likes this.

Mooseman and Arthur McBride like this.