Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By GWH
  • 1 Post By DLW
  • 2 Post By GWH
  • 1 Post By GWH
  • 1 Post By DLW

Thread: 195gr Berger Elite hunter on nz game

DLW

195gr Berger Elite hunter on nz game

Any one used these on game? How well do they expand on smaller animals at longer ranges? Cheers

GWH
    Heres a goat i shot at 902 yards, hit it slightly further back than i would have liked, didnt quite allow enough windage, but if you look hard you can see a fairly big bloody exit on him. I didnt go and recover him to inspect the damage.

https://youtu.be/rgp4bPJzqNc
    DLW likes this.

DLW
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Heres a goat i shot at 902 yards, hit it slightly further back than i would have liked, didnt quite allow enough windage, but if you look hard you can see a fairly big bloody exit on him. I didnt go and recover him to inspect the damage.

https://youtu.be/rgp4bPJzqNc

Thank you, I enjoyed watching all the videos on your channel, some good shooting there.

I want to use the 180 eldm but want a back up option for if the rifle doesn’t like them. Looks like the 195gr Berger will be what I try if the elds don’t work
    GWH likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by DLW View Post
    Thank you, I enjoyed watching all the videos on your channel, some good shooting there.

I want to use the 180 eldm but want a back up option for if the rifle doesn’t like them. Looks like the 195gr Berger will be what I try if the elds don’t work
    What will you be shooting them out of?

Ive done a little bit of testing with the 180 eldm in the same 28 Nosler, they shoot well too but i havnt shot any animals with them.

Cracker shot that's a long way's away.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Cracker shot that's a long way's away.
    Thanks, I've shot steel and rocks out well further than that, but killing an animal at that range I think is a lot harder than most people think. Look at the bullet's trajectory, its literally falling from the sky, next to impossible to double lung them that's for sure. And the 7mm 195gr berger is no slouch at 3,100 fps. So there wouldn't be too many cartridge/bullets combos around that would be that much flatter shooting to reduce the final trajectory. The distance ranging and dope for drop has to be bang on, or you miss.
    Mooseman and DLW like this.

DLW
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    What will you be shooting them out of?

Ive done a little bit of testing with the 180 eldm in the same 28 Nosler, they shoot well too but i havnt shot any animals with them.

What twist is your Nosler? Will be shooting it out of the 7mm Dakota that was on the for sale section not too long ago. 27” 8 twist barrel
    Iv shot a few animals with the 180 eld out too 600 with a rem mag with a mv of 2750 and they have worked awesome, can’t fault them on game.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by DLW View Post
    What twist is your Nosler? Will be shooting it out of the 7mm Dakota that was on the for sale section not too long ago. 27” 8 twist barrel
    Iv shot a few animals with the 180 eld out too 600 with a rem mag with a mv of 2750 and they have worked awesome, can’t fault them on game.
    28N is a Bartlein 8 twist finished at 26" plus the brake. That Dakota barrel should be sweet then.

Your 180gr 7RM loads must have been pretty mild. but great to hear they've been performing well at those ranges at the lower muzzle velocity. I've been playing with the 180 eldm in a 22" barreled 284 win, running around 2850 fps using RE26.
    DLW likes this.

DLW
    Yeah hopefully it shoots the 180 elds but looks like the bergers will work good at if the 180s don’t go well in this rifle.

Yeah the rem mag load was really mild, to get the most out of my brass at the time.
    That’s good speeds with the 284 I’m planning on building one a 22-24” barrel on a long action
    GWH likes this.