Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 22-250 Projectile Choice?

22-250 Projectile Choice?

Hey Guys,

Bought a sweet little T3 off @buzzman in 22-250. From the Tikka website it would appear the barrel is 1:14. Any experience out there as to which projectile will do the most damage? Buzz suggested a load using 2208 and 52gn Amax which I will use as a starter once I get myself some components but I'm wondering if it will do okay with a heavier projectile.

I want to use it predominantly on Hares, bunnies and magpies at long range (also interested in your opinions on how far I can realistically shoot them) but ya never know when you might stumble across a deer and I don't want to be too badly undergunned.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
    Adam
    buzzman likes this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

blitzkings bro

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    SlimySquirrel and Dorkus like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Nosler 40 BTV.. will get to lightspeed in that thing. BC is a little optimistic though.
    Dorkus likes this.

Would love a 22-250, but only if they came in 1:8!
    You will be limited roughly speaking to 55gr pills and below.
    That 52gr amax will do the damage, I have about 50 in a box of them if you want to buy those off me to try?

Fulla
    Two loads might be best, a vmax or amax, but something I little tougher if a deer shot presents itself,(especially at close range) a Barnes or even regular soft point. As a real fast soft projectile may just blow up at that speed. Unless you swap the barrel out for something faster twist then use heavy projectiles.
    Feather or Shoot and Dorkus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Would love a 22-250, but only if they came in 1:8!
    You will be limited roughly speaking to 55gr pills and below.
    That 52gr amax will do the damage, I have about 50 in a box of them if you want to buy those off me to try?
    Cheers, flick me a PM with your price and details.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    This one will do all you want & them some. https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/...-dia-55-gr-SBT

Just perfect for the 22-250
    WallyR and Dorkus like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Bryn Blythen does a very accurate 52gr, I had them coming out of the Kimber @3650 and 1/2 or under.
    Dorkus likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The V-Max would be good for the small game but to explosive for bigger animals.( I remember shooting a big billy with a 50 V-Max, it ran a 100 odd yards before dropping and the shot to the shoulder had not penetrated much) I use 55gr Noslar Ballistic Tips in mine and find them good on everything up to fallow deer size and with good bullet placement they would work on Redskins. I would use something bigger during the roar... maybe a 60 Noslar Partition. ( Or a bigger caliber)
    Dorkus likes this.

If you are gonna encounter the odd deer, then pick a projectile for deer, cos I can absolutely guarantee you that the same projectile will kill hares, rabbits and magpies! Have had a Tikka 22.250 for 40 years now, and have almost exclusively used either 63gn Sierra's for the first few years, and then changed to the 60gn Hornady's. And yes the bigger projectiles do shoot through a Tikka 1-14. Have only just tried a load with 55gn SP this weekend for shits and giggles, and it shot to the same poi as the other loads, and just like the 60gners, it shot under 1moa. Much easier to settle on one load and use that for everything.
    nor-west, Hunt4life and Dorkus like this.

Swift scirroco 62 grain would be great if it works in that barrel, my 22-250 is a 1-8 built in that twist to use the heavier projectiles.

As someone said before 55gr will be your upper limit. 52 gr smk do work outstandingly well though for just about everything.

Ideal would be a high B.C. 53gr Solid base, explody front projectile like the old Nosler BT's.
    Don't shoot deer with V max's, it's cruel, I know.

If you want exploding critters you want high velocity, so 40 gr BT's, v max, tmk's, varmint grenades. Deer Norma Oryx 55 gr.

Distances, no wind 3-400 m tops, wind 1-200 m. They don't fight wind well. Deer I'd say 300 tops. Sight in at 250, it's basically a laser til then.

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk
    Hunt4life likes this.

Yeah that 53 gr vmax was a devastating killer in mine. The 50 grain was also fairly emphatic but not quite as accurate... Get the light blitzkings if you want to hear the pop and see stuff explode.
    If you're after a bit of longer stuff then the 53 goes good but may not stabilize in your barrel?
    Dorkus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimySquirrel View Post
    Yeah that 53 gr vmax was a devastating killer in mine. The 50 grain was also fairly emphatic but not quite as accurate... Get the light blitzkings if you want to hear the pop and see stuff explode.
    If you're after a bit of longer stuff then the 53 goes good but may not stabilize in your barrel?
    i use the 53gr vmax, bloody devastating on all sorts of critters. also use 60gr nosler solid base they shoot same point of impact out 300ish too.
    Feather or Shoot, BRADS and Dorkus like this.