Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Friwi
  • 1 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By janleroux

Thread: 22 Ammo ES and SD for longer range

22 Ammo ES and SD for longer range

Gidday Folks

I was wondering what sort of extreme spread (ES) and standard deviation (SD) folks are getting for the ammo used in stretching the 22LR's legs out past 100M

Over the last few years I started recording these (fairly randomly it has to be said) for the ammo batch's I found shot better than average. Trouble is since I started doing this I haven't been able to get any really "top of the line" SK or Lapua grades so I don't have much to compare with.

@zimmer posted some of his results in a thread recently which were very interesting.

My own records show the best I've struck are a batch of Eley Club which shot at an SD of 11.7 in my Annie and 12.1 in the Ruger 10/22 HB. A nice shooting box of Fiochhi 320 was 8.2 but I could only get a couple of boxes (and the next batch wasn't anything like it. I currently have a batch of ammo that is shooting pretty good and its SD is 9.6 in one rifle (not my favorite one), in the 10-22 HB it doesn't shoot as well but bugger me the SD is a wee bit lower.

Thoughts ??

The Aussie Winchester was good ammo all right but its no longer made . . .

That is the reason why tuners are used in 22lr bench rest competitions. It is to compensate the variable SD by having a different angle of release of the slow bullets versus the fast bullets so they land at the same point on the distant target.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

CCI standard velocity does pretty good out to about 150m but after that the groups really open up.
    Up to about 100m it'll hold a 100mm group fairly easy out to 200m it's more like 300mm.

After 150m it becomes fairly noticeable how inconsistent the ammo is with a lot more vertical fliers.

There's a few threads on the Rimfire central forum and Snipershide by a guy called Justin Amateur who's done a lot of this kinda testing.

Caretaker
    CCI standard (1070 FPS) solid nose is making 100-150 mm groups for me at 200 metres

Tikka T1X 16 inch
    mimms2 likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    CCI standard (1070 FPS) solid nose is making 100-150 mm groups for me at 200 metres

Tikka T1X 16 inch
    Just goes to show the importance of seeing what each rifle likes, my rifle is a 16" T1x also and certainly doesn't group that well at long range.

The results from testing a couple of brands of ammo in my simple 16” JW15a (if I remember correctly, then this was at 50m):

Since then I have been shooting Aguila’s up 200m where I can say I could consistently hit a 24” square steel plate. Have not tried to see what the actual group sizes are at that distance as I am likely to be more of a limitation that the ammo itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    zimmer likes this.
    What you see, is what you get!

I definitely find that the high quality match ammo comes into its own when shooting past 150m

super expensive as it is but I have had some luck with high end Eley. have got 20 round ES's less than 20 and have been able to consistently shoot steel out to 350m (in a consistent enough wind)

For inside 150m CCI standard is bloody hard to be beat for value though