Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By gundoc
  • 1 Post By Carpe Diem
  • 2 Post By gundoc

Thread: 220 grain .300 BLK sub load

220 grain .300 BLK sub load

I have been testing a few different loads today through the chrono to get a good subsonic load for my Ruger American Ranch Rifle using Hornady 220 grain round nose bullets. I was using both Win 296 and AR2205, Hornady brass and Winchester SR primers. I settled on 10.5 grains of AR2205, with the bullet seated to the cannelure and a light crimp. This gave a c-to-c group of 1.25" at 100 metres and an average velocity of 1070 fps, leaving a nice clean bore. Definitely minute of goat! The suppressor is my own manufacture and the scope is a Leupold 2-7x matt compact. It is the high 20's here at the moment so I will have to go up a 1/10 of a grain in the winter I guess.
    Carpe Diem, Cordite and ZQLewis like this.

pictures please.
    hi Doc, I know nothing about the 300 blk but I'm assuming the case is too small to get enough trailboss inside, hence the denser powders.
    can imagine it would be fun to sneak up on the goats and start to unload on them while they have no idea where you are.

Tb is my go to for low power in 308 family brass but while I have got my 243 subsonic with 105gr bullets I'm uncomfortable with the low 60% fill ratio so have not gone back there. (did a number on a couple of goats as they tumbled the full length of the body but I did under estimate the amount of drop at 100 mtr.)

Hey Gun doc. Good to see you got such numbers I ran the 110 FB - TTX Barnes and 196 leigh high max expansion rounds in exactly the same rifle - MAE CMP suppressor at 9.6gr of 2205 and got about .75 - the Barnes sightly better at .7ish out of 9.2gr. Not sure about the speeds but were definitely subsonic. A hell of lot of fun for a goat or fallow round and especially in the bush.

Found it really didn't like the 220's especially the Hornady factory 300whisper rounds at about 4 inch groups.

Have fun - I sold this to Packhorse and he's having a ball with it...
    I'm drawn to the mountains and streams, its where life is clear, where the world makes most sense!

4" group is crap....did you get to find out what terminal preformance was like???? havent seen or heard ANY reports of those big fatties anywhere yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    4" group is crap....did you get to find out what terminal preformance was like???? havent seen or heard ANY reports of those big fatties anywhere yet.
    Yup - the 196 leigh highs generally put the usual sized entry hole - for a broadside boiler room shot - in one side and blew about a 4-6 inch saucer out the side of the small/mid sized nanny goat trail - bone, flesh lungs turned to pulp and sucked the green intestines through the same hole to block it - it made a pink /green jet on grass pink out to about 1.5m and green about a foot and smearing the side of the goat as it tipped and fell onto it - kicking a couple of times...

Distance about 25m - don't have the photo but Eric - @Scouser can probably corroborate as I think he thought it quite convincing at the time...
    Scouser likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and streams, its where life is clear, where the world makes most sense!

yip for sure the lehighs do the bizo....and the hornady factory big round nose jobbies???

A couple of pictures attached.
    Name:  IMG_3156.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  636.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3155.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  781.9 KB
    john m and Micky Duck like this.

my bad Im thinking of the nosler ones that "were coming" and seem to have never eventuated.... those ones look just like the 180s Im using in .308 as my bush load with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Yup - the 196 leigh highs generally put the usual sized entry hole - for a broadside boiler room shot - in one side and blew about a 4-6 inch saucer out the side of the small/mid sized nanny goat trail - bone, flesh lungs turned to pulp and sucked the green intestines through the same hole to block it - it made a pink /green jet on grass pink out to about 1.5m and green about a foot and smearing the side of the goat as it tipped and fell onto it - kicking a couple of times...

Distance about 25m - don't have the photo but Eric - @Scouser can probably corroborate as I think he thought it quite convincing at the time...
    Yeah guys, did the damage alright......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt