Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 2208 in 284?

2208 in 284?

Hey guys have a loaded sorted for my 284 using 2209 and 162eldms but have a bit of 2208 I did not realise I had from previous rifles. Anyone use that powder in their 284s? Loaded up some 145gr speer sps using the adi book data for 2208 which will be tested this weekend but hoping to hear real world experiences. Cheers

Anyone?

Not in 284, but I am currently developing a load using 2208 in 8x57. The chrony results are good (C.V < 1%) was hoping to get some groupings this weekend.

I see that ADI lists 2208 for most calibers, so I was thinking of running an experiment with .223 and see what happens.

What are your load details for the eldm with 2219 mate?

For anyone interested 2208 behind the 145gr speers went well. 49grs and with a Coal of just over 3" I am shooting MOA without having to change the dials for my eldm load as they are both pretty much bang on at 100m so that is a big win. Hopefully test on a deer next week

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    For anyone interested 2208 behind the 145gr speers went well. 49grs and with a Coal of just over 3" I am shooting MOA without having to change the dials for my eldm load as they are both pretty much bang on at 100m so that is a big win. Hopefully test on a deer next week
    Nice man. 284 doing work. Should get a good complete burn with it as well. Versatile powder. Did you chrony?
    superdiver likes this.

Yep that is handy having the two loads shooting to the same point of impact, would be nice to see if the speeds are close to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Yep that is handy having the two loads shooting to the same point of impact, would be nice to see if the speeds are close to each other.
    Think I have the 162eldms @ 2760 and based on my 2208/speer SP load doing 2905 out of a 24" bbl in my adi reloading book I reckon my 19" bbl would be sending them down range at about that speed

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Nice man. 284 doing work. Should get a good complete burn with it as well. Versatile powder. Did you chrony?
    No I have not run it over a chrony yet but will do ASAP as if this is doing the speed I think it is I can use this out further than intended if need be! Yeah surely am getting a full burn as not a heap of powder and barrel isn't that short

Just an update regarding powders for the 284. I have been using 2209 recently with no real issues. However just to try something different I decided to try some Winchester 760. This is because thier stated data with 760 showed the max load a few Grains less than the 2209, for roughly the same speed. This was important to me as with 2209 I was getting compressed loads, yet no real pressure signs. So I wanted to try a powder that left me a bit of wriggle room. So I loaded a few different loads up with 150gn Ballistic Tops and headed to the range to see how they went. I am pretty bloody happy so far! As I am not really a great sort by any means.
    This group is half a grain below max...
    Name:  20190627_125544.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  4.61 MB

And this one is at the stated book max..
    Name:  20190627_125524.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  4.17 MB

Neither leads are showing any pressure signs, so I will push it a bit further. Although I will wait for the Forum Chrony to get here so I can check the speeds.

The only thing that had me puzzled was that some rounds would not chamber. Now this is using brand new brass. So are you supposed to run new brass through a sizing die first?
    Cheers
    Scott
    chainsaw likes this.

Very nice groups Scott. Be interesting to see what speed they're at. Yeah, sometimes you'll find brand new brass that wont chamber, especially if your chamber is on the tight side. Seen it a couple of times, with the fancy expensive brands of brass

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Very nice groups Scott. Be interesting to see what speed they're at. Yeah, sometimes you'll find brand new brass that wont chamber, especially if your chamber is on the tight side. Seen it a couple of times, with the fancy expensive brands of brass
    Oh that's good to know. And yes when my rifle was chambered I was told that it did have a tight chamber. So I suppose I'll have to go ahead and run the rest of the brass through the sizing die. I'll just have to pull the ones that would not chamber i suppose.

Safest to pull the pills and then re-size. If you have a Redding body die then you can resize the live ammo but proceed with caution & have a change of undies handy. I've done that on a few rounds like this but if its like 20+ rounds i'd pull.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    Just an update regarding powders for the 284. I have been using 2209 recently with no real issues. However just to try something different I decided to try some Winchester 760. This is because thier stated data with 760 showed the max load a few Grains less than the 2209, for roughly the same speed. This was important to me as with 2209 I was getting compressed loads, yet no real pressure signs. So I wanted to try a powder that left me a bit of wriggle room. So I loaded a few different loads up with 150gn Ballistic Tops and headed to the range to see how they went. I am pretty bloody happy so far! As I am not really a great sort by any means.
    This group is half a grain below max...
    Attachment 114158

And this one is at the stated book max..
    Attachment 114159

Neither leads are showing any pressure signs, so I will push it a bit further. Although I will wait for the Forum Chrony to get here so I can check the speeds.

The only thing that had me puzzled was that some rounds would not chamber. Now this is using brand new brass. So are you supposed to run new brass through a sizing die first?
    Cheers
    Scott
    W760 is same as H414. I've been using H414 in my short barreled 284 with 162 Amaxs for a few years now. It's a bloody good powder.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    W760 is same as H414. I've been using H414 in my short barreled 284 with 162 Amaxs for a few years now. It's a bloody good powder.
    Yes that is why I tried the W760, as I had read about people getting good results with the H414 and W760 was readily available here. Can't wait to see what speed it produces.
    GWH likes this.