Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

.222 Rem Mag Ackley Improved.

Hi all. Is any one running one of these? If so, what are you doing for brass. What projectiles powders and velocities?? Thinking of doing it in a Vixen.

Quote Originally Posted by highcountry View Post
    Hi all. Is any one running one of these? If so, what are you doing for brass. What projectiles powders and velocities?? Thinking of doing it in a Vixen.
    I will be making something similar very soon, but much easier, 22-204, brass, dies etc very simple

OK sounds interesting. Is the 204 a necked down 222 Rem Mag in the first instance? What twist rate will you use? What length barrel and what action do you think you will use?

The 204 is a necked down & improved 222rem mag.
    I will be building them on T3 Tikkas predominately.
    The reamer should be here this week or next, then into a 1-12 & 1-8 ex 223 T3
    I have all the data from the rifles with 53 Vmax, 75 & 80 Amax to see how much there is to be gained.

It should perform better than a 223 AI would alot less hassel

Greg. What are the hassles with going .223 AI. I really wan't to use the vixen. They were factory chambered for .222 mag.

Quote Originally Posted by highcountry View Post
    Greg. What are the hassles with going .223 AI. I really wan't to use the vixen. They were factory chambered for .222 mag.
    Fireforming rounds & possible feeding issues.

Kiwishooter
    The 204 Ruger has a case capacity of 33.8gr, the 222 Rem Mag has a case capacity of 32, the 223 AI has a case capacity of 32.4gr and the 222 Rem Mag AI has a case capacity of 32.8gr..............the difference between any of theses cases shooting a 224 cal projectile is pretty minimal.

I think whichever one someone chooses would come down to reloading die and reamer availablity, I know a couple of shooters who have Sako's chambered in 223 AI and neither of them have trouble feeding from the magazine.
    As for fireforming I'd rather use Lapua brass so that would limit my choice.