Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree33Likes
  • 4 Post By Trout
  • 3 Post By Scout
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Bos
  • 4 Post By johnd
  • 4 Post By Husky1600
  • 9 Post By Tahr
  • 3 Post By canross

Thread: 222 vs 223

222 vs 223

I'm going to end up with a rifle in 222 with 1:14 twist barrel, and being that it's not a cartridge I've ever shot I started thinking I would maybe just ream it to 223 and shoot FMJ through it.
    The gun itself has no historical value at all so reaming it won't devalue it or destroy history, I can ream it for free, and I'm already hard pressed to find the time to reload for my other calibers to the degree I mostly shoot .22 because I don't have to first spend half a day loading ammo for it. Cheap commercial 223 would avoid that problem.

I do understand that 1:14 is really suited for 50gr, while most fmj is 55gr, so that's a bit of a negative against reaming it. This has me thinking I should maybe try some .222 loads that approximately copy the 55gr 223 fmj loads and see if it'll shoot... if it does, then reaming is much more likely to be successful.... I haven't looked into whether I can match 223 loads in a 222 case with the lower case capacity. It's on my to-do list

What's the opinion of the forum's collective conscious on this?

You can buy 222 ammo from Belmont NZ,$35=50 rds.Accurate ammo too.

I had no trouble shooting 63gr Sierra's out of my .222Rems & killing lots of Deer with them, but 55gr Hornadys were fine also !

Now days people are over thinking/overstating the twist thing as most have only just discovered it really.

Best to try the bullets you want to use in your rifle first, but be aware some shoot Ok on paper but don't track through the animal well, not too bad on Deer size game, becomes a issue on Big/Dangerous Game !
    johnd, canross and csmiffy like this.

That twist will handle 55 gr bullets no problem.
    If you do rechamber it restamp the calibre designation just in case you pass it forward later.
    jakewire and canross like this.

Bos
    Thats correct 7mmwsm. My 222 wont shoot anything other than 50gr accurately., .223 gives you a few more options generally, depending on the twist rate. ie a faster twist will stabilise some of the heavier projectiles.
    canross likes this.

.223...... hawk spitsh (as in clearing throat) ......we need a emoji to cover that! If as much time and effort had been put into the .222 as has the Nato round we would all still be using it.

Stick with 222, easy as. Should shoot 55's, may very well shoot 60/63's. If you want some to try, let me know, Im pretty sure I have a few here you can have to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Bos View Post
    Thats correct 7mmwsm. My 222 wont shoot anything other than 50gr accurately., .223 gives you a few more options generally, depending on the twist rate. ie a faster twist will stabilise some of the heavier projectiles.
    Really. Load 3 Vixens and the dudes shoot 60gr Hornady.They head shoot plovers to check their guns are in.

Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    I had no trouble shooting 63gr Sierra's out of my .222Rems & killing lots of Deer with them, but 55gr Hornadys were fine also !

Now days people are over thinking/overstating the twist thing as most have only just discovered it really.

Best to try the bullets you want to use in your rifle first, but be aware some shoot Ok on paper but don't track through the animal well, not too bad on Deer size game, becomes a issue on Big/Dangerous Game !
    Good to know - have seen stuff about 222 1:14 keyholing 55 and 60gr projectiles, but there's also the issue of some very shot out guns in .222. I'm seeing the .222 purely as a plinking/small game at distance round. Something where the .22 long isn't cutting it.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    223 will have more horsepower, but you won't be able to tell the difference. 222 is a bit more romantic/nostalgic though.
    What's the rifle?
    I hear you there - I actually don't mind much either way, I just want to find some affordable ammo and spend more time shooting than reloading for once

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    .223...... hawk spitsh (as in clearing throat) ......we need a emoji to cover that! If as much time and effort had been put into the .222 as has the Nato round we would all still be using it.
    Haha - I can definitely understand the sentiment. 222 seems to have a really strong following, so I'm kind of wondering if I'll be hooked on it once I've tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    You can buy 222 ammo from Belmont NZ,$35=50 rds.Accurate ammo too.
    Good to know - that's actually competitive pricing against .223 so it takes away a lot of the reason to shift to 223.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    That twist will handle 55 gr bullets no problem.
    If you do rechamber it restamp the calibre designation just in case you pass it forward later.
    Good to know regarding twist rate, also yep, definitely would re-mark if it was rechambered.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Stick with 222, easy as. Should shoot 55's, may very well shoot 60/63's. If you want some to try, let me know, Im pretty sure I have a few here you can have to try.
    I appreciate that! Seems 222 has a lot of fans!

the trebly has ALWAYS had better reputation for accuracy.. its preformance on game is well known too.I bought a .223 for same reasons you give above and havent looked back or regretted it...HOWEVER if Id bought a trebly other than price of bulk ammunition I bought with the rifle there would be no real advantage,rifle has only been fed reloads ever since.
    fed 50 grn projectiles...they are very similar.
    if you re ream chamber YOU MAY end up with ring on brass....the reason I say this is mate had a ex police vixen that has been done and had that issue...it pissed him off so much he sold it...silly boy couldve had issue sorted.
    I believe Belmont will load to your specs if asked...so you COULD taylor make load that rifle really shines with then ask for bulk lot to be made up for you..
    you have nothing to loose trying rifle as trebly for a while and seeing if it catches your interest...worst case you decide nah want it in .223 and you on sell the brass from what loads you have used...

In general if you can't kill a deer with a .222 you won't with a .223

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Fog View Post
    its all to do with the type of projectile,,soft/hard/medium/
    thats why my .223 is nrmally fed 50 grn......softer like what trebly was originally fed...they "just work". the 50 grn barnes for deerzies being he obvious exception.

Well, the tip on the Belmont ammo settled it (thanks to @Trout and @Husky1600 for the ammo help) - works out cheaper than the 223 I was looking at so really no reason at all to ream it at this point .

Appreciate all your help - will do an update when I get it out shooting.