Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Is 2225 very temp sensitive?

Is 2225 very temp sensitive?

Can anyone tell me from experience if 2225 powder is temp sensitive? I have been using 2217 for most my rifles but would like the velocity gain.
    Cheers

Caretaker
    H1000/2217 is more temp stable than 2225.

2225 in my 7 mm rem mag had 5 inches of vertical difference in group centres at 1000 yrds from cold ammo to hot ammo.

If you need the extra velocity that 2225 can give, and you still have the accuracy you desire at that extra velocity, then store your 2225 powered ammo in your pocket, this averages its temp and your poi.

Now i just use 73 grains of 2217.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Cheers saum I thought that was the case

I haven't done any tests between the two of them myself.

Every cartridge & primer combination will be different.

We generally don't have the temperature variations here that other countries do.

2225 will provide more velocity than 2217 & is way more stable than say US869.

Have a look at this test done in Aussie.

Rifle powder temperature sensetivity

You should probably do some tests & see if the powder is suitable for your requirements.

If you do please let me, I would be very interested along with many others

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    Yes 2217 is the leader when it comes to temp, thats why the Yanks like it so much as they can be shooting in very hot weather one hunt and bellow freezing level the next.
    But 2225 isn't to bad either and in the north island where we don't get mad temp swings can be very useful in a 338 edge giving a little velocity increase, should you try 2225 if it was me I would give it a try and post up your findings I'm sure they will be glowing
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post

We generally don't have the temperature variations here that other countries do.
    Actually I wouldnt agree (depending on where in NZ you are) on that as NZ's sun gain at 41 south latitude v air temperature can make a huge difference. Parts of NZ (wellington for instance) is the perfect place to use passive cooling techniques in buildings as we have a high solar gain but a low air temperature in comparison. Even placing a round at outside air temp in a hot chamber can make a difference.

Now you have mentioned it Iit reminds me to test my new thermometer on rounds in and out of the sun to see what the difference is. I will also try and get a temp on a barrel on Saturday after 12rounds of 308.

regards
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Actually I wouldnt agree (depending on where in NZ you are) on that as NZ's sun gain at 41 south latitude v air temperature can make a huge difference. Parts of NZ (wellington for instance) is the perfect place to use passive cooling techniques in buildings as we have a high solar gain but a low air temperature in comparison. Even placing a round at outside air temp in a hot chamber can make a difference.

Now you have mentioned it Iit reminds me to test my new thermometer on rounds in and out of the sun to see what the difference is. I will also try and get a temp on a barrel on Saturday after 12rounds of 308.

regards

I know where you are coming from but when was the last time it was 45+ & -30 here like it can be in the States ?

Looks like I will be buying some 2225 and dusting off the chrony

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Do it

You know you want too

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I know where you are coming from but when was the last time it was 45+ & -30 here like it can be in the States ?
    The temp difference doesnt have to be that great. Some of the pieces Ive read suggest that the slighltly higher velocities offered by some powders is more than offset by their temperature sensitivity in long range shooting. Not to mention increased barrel wear. So 20deg C air and 45Deg C sun / temp of the bullet is noticable, even taking a 20Deg C bullet and inserting it in a hot barrel is enough. Now I have not tested this myself yet I admit but enough palma/ftr ppl have said or written this for me to take heed and stick to ADI 2208/varget for what I do.

So the Q is is 2225 giving you something you just cant do without?
    Last edited by steven; 15-05-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo fix
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    The temp difference doesnt have to be that great. Some of the pieces Ive read suggest that the slighltly higher velocities offered by some powders is more than offset by their temperature sensitivity in long range shooting. Not to mention increased barrel wear. So 20deg C air and 45Deg C sun / temp of the bullet is noticable, even taking a 20Deg C bullet and inserting it in a hot barrel is enough. Now I have not tested this myself yet I admit but enough palma/ftr ppl have said or written this for me to take heed and stick to ADI 2208/varget for what I do.

So the Q is is 2225 giving you something you just cant do without?
    Yes but this is thread is about 2225 & 2217 in an Edge in this case.

Did you read this link ?

Rifle powder temperature sensetivity

Didn't seem to bad to me ??

If all goes to plan I will have answers by tomorrow night.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Nit implying this is your problem 338 but from my findings the below is where it starts!

Dare I say it but powder really shows its temp sensitivity at high pressure!
    Dropping your load back below max things often settle down alot!! A hell of alot!
    2225 goes very well in an edge as long as you keep your load at good safe working pressures!

IMHO

94gns is a good safe 2225 load to sit on !!("workup") it can and will shoot up as far as 96 or even 97 but its teetering on an "EDGE" of brass life an pressure spikes!
    I still have a pile of ruined brass from a pet load givin to me sitting in a box from 2225!

94gn N570 is a fantastic load for an edge well below max and 40fps up on 2225 at any stage of matching pressure signs!
    tui_man2 likes this.

I would be keen on hearing results on taking temperarure of cases in various situations but then pulling the projectile and taking temperature of powder as well. Im curious about how much the temp of the powder itself changes. From that you could then work out a formula for powder temp.based on case temp and have something more definitive. All chronyed through cold barrel of course to keep things equal. Dont want barrel/chamber temp and associated effects swaying things