Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pommy

Thread: 223 80gn challenges

223 80gn challenges

Been sorting out the "new" barrel in my 223 - its a 1:8 that I had in another rifle and was set up for a particular 80gn Sierra load - 24.5 of 2208. It shot very well in the old action. Its now a 24" barreled "gong" and range gun, pretty much what anyone would call a "varmint rifle but in an adjustable stock.

When the barrel was refitted it wasn't possible for the gunsmith to throat the barrel, his reamer wouldn't fit - apparently Kriegers can be "tight".

So I have a COAL to "jam" of 2.420. I tried running loads of 24.5 Gns of 2208 at a COAL of 2.400 but they kept "pushing out" (due to the compressed charge I think) to a COAL closer to jam, and probably with varying lengths. And they didn't shoot that great, no surprise eh!

So - what to do next.

I could go to Winchester 748, it often goes pretty good in the 223 and enough will fit (with no compression) to get pretty close to 2208 velocity.

I could try and find some cases with a bit more capacity but from the data I see on Accurate Shooter.com I don't think I'll gain much.

Finding a 'Smith with the right reamer would also work, but its not my preferred choice (I've found mixing 'Smiths seldom works out . . . . )

Thoughts ??

748 is good powder and meters so much easier...BM1 OR BM2 could also be options....

I was trying to avoid buying a "new" powder - I have 2208 and 748 . . . .

Have a play with Gordons reloading Tool, I ended up with Vitivory 130 for what I was trying to achieve, adjust OAL , watch pressures, get a burn rate for barrel length. Good fun, can save heaps. Beg borrow, swop different powders locally to try.

Belmont 763 should get the same or better speeds.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Hey thanks for those thoughts.

After a little more experimentation I can run right on "jam" with 24.5 of 2208 at a stable COAL, which is the "pet" load. I've never liked the thought of being at jam in case it doesn't end well but its probly not a disaster for a range rifle.

The suggestion of 763 is a good one, I might be able to get to a higher node with it (modelling it in GRT as 2000-MR . . . . thoughts on that Martin ??)

You'll get a fair bit more in there without running into compression like you are with AR2208. Heavy for calibre in 223/308 seems to be where it's good.

Next time you're comingv up Canterbury ways, give me a shout and I can donate you some, if you want to do any experimenting.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Have you tried a drop tube to reduce compression?

You could ackley the chamber. Will give more performance and capacity.
    Warm Barrels!