Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 223 projectiles

223 projectiles

Hi all, am after a bit of info on the Barnes 53grn and the 55grn tsx projectiles,
    rifle is a tikka .223, 1in 8 twist, mainly wanting something for bush hunting reds
    doe's anyone know anything about these projectiles? why do they bother
    producing two projectiles when they are only two grains apart? is one better than
    the other? just seems a bit strange to have two projectiles so close together in
    weight range,
    cheers hunty

I've loaded up some 62gr TSX BT .233 and shoot them out of the same rifle, not sure how fast they are going. The best i've managed so far is group of just over one inch, compared with 55g VMAX, that's crap. I've shot three deer with them; one hind at around 20 yards through the shoulder (front on), she required a finishing shot - but probably would have died; one spiker through the shoulder side on at 200 yards, he went 10 yards and flopped over, one hind in the head, did not move much!
    My initial reaction is; doesn't shoot as well as other ammo, but packs a good punch.

You've got a 1:8" twist, get the 70gr TSX if you want to use them.

Disclamer: I have no experience loading 223!

Do however have experience with them in 308.
    Findings:
    Forget the tsx get the ttsx.Open faster IE transfer more shock and energy to the animal instead of the (I hope) dirt behind and have a better bc.
    If your a neck shot man forget both and stick with a cup and core type pill that will fragment.Yes a barnes will do it but a cup and core will do it better.
    Spend the time to test throughly at different jumps to the lands for accuracy,Mine loved 10tho(single feed so completely usless) and 60 tho mag fit plus a bit. In between was so so.
    You can and will probably need to run more powder for the same velocity as a traditional type pill of the same weight.
    Push em hard! my rifle generally shoots better below max except with these.

As above no experience loading 223 but have a fair amount of experience with the cal on deer.

If it was me id be trying to get 55grs to shoot to get velocity up. Id be very surprised if they failed to exit a red on a broadside shot.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

As Cam said use the 55s & run them hard.
    You should get more speed than a normal pill.
    Have a look at the Hornady GMX as well, similar bullet, generally slightly higher bc.

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Disclamer: I have no experience loading 223!

Do however have experience with them in 308.
    Findings:
    Forget the tsx get the ttsx.Open faster IE transfer more shock and energy to the animal instead of the (I hope) dirt behind and have a better bc.
    If your a neck shot man forget both and stick with a cup and core type pill that will fragment.Yes a barnes will do it but a cup and core will do it better.
    Spend the time to test throughly at different jumps to the lands for accuracy,Mine loved 10tho(single feed so completely usless) and 60 tho mag fit plus a bit. In between was so so.
    You can and will probably need to run more powder for the same velocity as a traditional type pill of the same weight.
    Push em hard! my rifle generally shoots better below max except with these.

As above no experience loading 223 but have a fair amount of experience with the cal on deer.

If it was me id be trying to get 55grs to shoot to get velocity up. Id be very surprised if they failed to exit a red on a broadside shot.
    +1 but in 7mm an 6mm an have some 6.5 here but not tryed, i have never recovered any from 7mm or 6mm all have passed through

like others say drive them hard they open well al hold together

iv been meaning to do the wet news paper trick with them an 500m to see how much they open

130Gr ttsx 30 cal at about 1m straight down into water at 3150fps.Just wanted to check if it would lose any petals or not

The 53gr and 55gr... the 53 tsx the 55 ttsx 2gr for the plastic tip? Or are they both tsx?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

cheers guys, i don't think they make barnes ttsx in .224 cal only tsx, same goes with the gmx they don't do the smaller cals as yet
    i have started usuing the gmx in my .270 but it is to early to form an opinion yet as i have only shot 3 deer with it so far..

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTY View Post
    cheers guys, i don't think they make barnes ttsx in .224 cal only tsx, same goes with the gmx they don't do the smaller cals as yet
    i have started usuing the gmx in my .270 but it is to early to form an opinion yet as i have only shot 3 deer with it so far..
    Yes they do. I have just bought some 55grn Tipped TSX off Hannon. Have a look in Trademe under "ammunition".

Thanks Tahr, will go and have a look.