Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 223 sub sonic loads

223 sub sonic loads

I know, it's just for fun.

The book says 3.2gr of AS30 for 55gr, was wondering if anyone had played around with AR2206H ? I'll be making a few test loads up just for the S&G factor, but just wondering if anyone else had had a look at this peculiar load ?

Start high and work backwards. Don't want to do it the other way around our you'll get a stuck bullet in barrel. Barrel lengths can be very fickle on the sub sonic loads, so internet data is helpful...but you'll still need to develop the load to your gun.

I tried .223 subs, but then thought...hey wait a minute, why don't I just use a .22lr with subs? Never bothered doing .223 subs ever again.

AR2206H works great in the 30 whisper I've got and my favorite, my 30-223 which is basically the same but far less dicking around case prep wise. Can't see why it wouldn't work with straight .223? But a heavier pill would be better.

Kj

I had a go at reducing loads until my ARs wouldn't cycle. 15gr of 2206H behind a 55gr CMJ was the lowest I tried. Don't know what the velocity was, but it wasn't subsonic and a lot of unburnt powder was thrown through the action.

Accuracy may not be what you hoped for, if you achieve subsonic speeds there will probably be a lot of unburnt powder left with 2206 or any other slow powder. My experience with this in a 3030 using cast bullets was velocity was inconsistent, and the amount of unburnt powder varied between shots resulting in poor accuracy. I switched to trail boss and then Hercules blue dot and am getting 11/2 inch groups at 100 yds.
    Jacketed bullets offer more resistance than cast ones and that may increase the pressure to a point where the powder burns better. Also if the pressure is to low they may not engrave properly.
    I have read old reports of damage caused by reduced loads of slow powders but cant remember the details. There are a number of reloading forums that could point you in the right direction, one that comes to mind is The High Road
    Kscott likes this.

It will be hard to get a 55 grain to go subsonic in a .223 with any powder a 45 grain cast bullet in the .22 hornet with 2.0 grains of Red Dot is still super sonic, if you have a 7" twist barrel and use 80 grain Amax you may have a chance.

Yes good points, beware if the charge gets to low and the case isn't full enough it creates a dangerous situation where the entire case full of power can ignite in one hit, rather than the systematic burn that happens in a normal case that's full of powder.

All good points on the unburnt powder, hadn't considered that.

Thanks.

Ejected
    Trail boss powder is what you want. Personally I would save my subsonic experiments for a bigger caliber and just use a .22
    steven likes this.

I've tried out a few Trail boss, seamed fairly accurate and on the plus side there was no need for a brass catcher. It's not a bad way to get some CF trigger time plinking.

Ta, yes it's just for fun, the .22 Marlin gets a hammering on rabbits and possums, this is purely an exercise of 'what if' not necessity,

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    Yes good points, beware if the charge gets to low and the case isn't full enough it creates a dangerous situation where the entire case full of power can ignite in one hit, rather than the systematic burn that happens in a normal case that's full of powder.
    Yes

Small powder charges can result in a very dangerous situation developing which can end in tears very quickly.

The small powder charge can detonate when ignited causing catastrophic failure rather than burn in a more controlled or predictable manner.

Use Trail boss to develop your sub load.

Cheers
    Pete
    Kscott and sniper80 like this.

Worth a go for the fun as you said. Have played around with 80gr SMK and AMAX projectiles over 6gr of trailboss in an AR. Action wont cycle and 99% of the time the action wont unlock I had the smack the charging handle with a big hunk of wood. In a bolt gun I'd have anither play but the returns aren't really worth the trouble in 223.

Ive seen a .22 air rifle pellet fired out of .223 with just a primer as propellant....drilled out to fit shotgun primer if I remember correctly.
    other than a possum up a tree I cant see a use for it!!!
    can you get adapter case???? solid brass reamed out to fit rimfire????

Pin strike in center of case would be problematic
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

yeah thought so...... stuff it just hit em with normal round...dead is dead