Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: .224 62GR Sciroccos Swifts.

R93

.224 62GR Sciroccos Swifts.

Not sure if many know the .224 swift comes in 62Gr now opposed to just having the 70Gr in .224 for a long while. I was alerted to the new projectile by a fellow member, and another sourced some for me.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  2.3 KB
    They have a rather high BC for a .224 projectile of its size of .309 wich have matched all soloutions in shooter for me so far, out to 550yrds.

I use a charge of 26gr BMII behind them in military brass for my .223 barrel getting 3240fps with no pressure signs. I only use the brass once anyway.
    I have not shot anything significant with them yet other than a few varmits and some steel but so far, I am very happy with the accuracy.
    I never try to body shoot larger animals with my .223, so projectile choice is not an issue but if I have to, I think these will go ok.
    Expensive at a dollar a pop but performance always defeats cost.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Not sure if many know the .224 swift comes in 62Gr now opposed to just having the 70Gr in .224 for a long while. I was alerted to the new projectile by a fellow member, and another sourced some for me.

Attachment 19403
    They have a rather high BC for a .224 projectile of its size of .309 wich have matched all soloutions in shooter for me so far, out to 550yrds.

I use a charge of 26gr BMII behind them in military brass for my .223 barrel getting 3240fps with no pressure signs. I only use the brass once anyway.
    I have not shot anything significant with them yet other than a few varmits and some steel but so far, I am very happy with the accuracy.
    I never try to body shoot larger animals with my .223, so projectile choice is not an issue but if I have to, I think these will go ok.
    Expensive at a dollar a pop but performance always defeats cost.

Where from??
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Where from??
    Ask Sneeze. He got a few hundy for me. If you want a sample pack I will send you some up when I get back in a couple weeks? 2 bucks a pop?

They are what I had in mind when I had Abe build my .223, but I haven't been able to get any good consistent groups I think part of the problem is the short sako mag and having to seat them so deep.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    They are what I had in mind when I had Abe build my .223, but I haven't been able to get any good consistent groups I think part of the problem is the short sako mag and having to seat them so deep.
    No! Your problem is your using them thru a sako

Thats a bugger! I have a bit of jump on mine as they went better with some, rather than near the lands.

What is your barrel twist?

The 130 scirocco's will not shoot in my .260 Improved very well.
    Last edited by R93; 24-01-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Ask Sneeze. He got a few hundy for me. If you want a sample pack I will send you some up when I get back in a couple weeks? 2 bucks a pop?
    OK, sound fair just to show you what a good bugger I am too, I'll let you fill up the boat when you finally get round to coming up to look for one for yourself.
    R93 and Gibo like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

R93
    I am happy to fill the AUX to capacity anytime mate!!!
    Gibo likes this.

I've considered these for the Maximus, but don't want to by a box to find they don't group. I believe I could push them at 3450-3500.

Their BC is outstanding! Buy they are a little long for my 1:12 barrel and suspect they might go sideways

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    I've considered these for the Maximus, but don't want to by a box to find they don't group. I believe I could push them at 3450-3500.

Their BC is outstanding! Buy they are a little long for my 1:12 barrel and suspect they might go sideways
    Is that a hint???

Is that a hint???
    Yes and no. Ream your chamber deeper and dont send me any, they won't fly in the 1:12 - I don't think its worth trying.

Name:  Twist_Rate.png
Views: 634
Size:  68.1 KB

I am happy to fill the AUX to capacity anytime mate!!!
    My "AUX" is anyone except the skipper with fins on over the back kicking!! Seriously though if you can spare a few I would like to give em a try. Will cover all costs involved. When you coming fishing??

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    Yes and no. Ream your chamber deeper and dont send me any, they won't fly in the 1:12 - I don't think its worth trying.

Attachment 19406
    How would they do in a 1-7 twist

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    How would they do in a 1-7 twist
    From 1:9 or tighter there shouldn't be any issues. Maybe a 1:10 could do it, but at longer ranges they might start the whole sideways flight thing....

Name:  1-7_twist.png
Views: 501
Size:  39.6 KB

R93
    I will send you some in a few weeks. They should go well in a 1:7. Mine is 1:9

I may bring them up and come for a fish around the 22nd? I still have to pick up my clay machines in Nelson. I will fill her up for ya but if I catch no fish I will whinge like you never heard before

I will send you some in a few weeks. They should go well in a 1:7. Mine is 1:9

I may bring them up and come for a fish around the 22nd? I still have to pick up my clay machines in Nelson. I will fill her up for ya but if I catch no fish I will whinge like you never heard before
    22nd??, do you mean Feb.

Whingers in my boat get a close look at the seabed structure to check for Anchor Holding potential (usually while holding the anchor).......................................

Guest on my boat are not expected to contribute anything, pay for fuel, or anything else they MUST just enjoy their day.