Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 243 loads

243 loads

Was lookin at doin some loads for my tikka 243 to shoot mainly reds and some fallow , just wondered what everybody was useing

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    87gr Hornady SPBT’s
    chubby likes this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Gone but not forgotten
    90gr ELD-X in front of 42.4gr of AR2209, doing 3140fps from 24 inch barrel. Fairly warm load...
    Sierra 85gr hpbt and 100gr Prohunter also shoot well, IIRC 85 with 41.5gr does 3060fps and Prohunter with 40gr does about 2970fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    90gr ELD-X in front of 42.4gr of AR2209, doing 3140fps from 24 inch barrel. Fairly warm load...
    Sierra 85gr hpbt and 100gr Prohunter also shoot well, IIRC 85 with 41.5gr does 3060fps and Prohunter with 40gr does about 2970fps.
    Wicked cheers , could i be a rude bugga n ask for the coal ? Definatly thinkin of tryin those

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by chubby View Post
    Wicked cheers , could i be a rude bugga n ask for the coal ? Definatly thinkin of tryin those

You want the coal? What is the action?, what is your throat cut to? is it the same as @Cigar 's rifle? Some cartridge/manufacturer combinations have generic loads that work across the board, most do not, particularly with premium bullets. Start with below book max loads and use standard book coal to start unless you know your length and you have a plan/reason for jump. What jumps in one rifle could be a jam in another, add in a hard heavy jacketed bullet and........

Gone but not forgotten

For my rifle (Brno ZKK601) and aiming for 0.02 off the lands, COAL is 2.66 inches for the eld-x, 2.64 for the 100gr Prohunter, and 2.56 for the 85gr hpbt Gameking. Sierra manual uses 2.65 for both the 100 and 85, but by my measurements I'd be jammed into the lands with the 85gr at that length.
    My loads are using Norma cases and Federal primers.
    chubby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    You want the coal? What is the action?, what is your throat cut to? is it the same as @Cigar 's rifle? Some cartridge/manufacturer combinations have generic loads that work across the board, most do not, particularly with premium bullets. Start with below book max loads and use standard book coal to start unless you know your length and you have a plan/reason for jump. What jumps in one rifle could be a jam in another, add in a hard heavy jacketed bullet and........
    Ok so what iv got is a Tikka T3x with a 1:10 twist , have been through the ADI website n have quiet a good idea where i need to start with the load ladders , with the COAL i am pritty much limited to the length of the magazine , i havent measured the lands yet but will do once the lockdown is over and done with , so its real interesting to talk to guys that have been ther done that , i was going to to start around the 85 gr 87gr area but seeing what some people are useing i need to be up bullet weight , so yeh real interesting talkin to guys about this , now im back to the drawing board n will try the heavier projectiles

87gr Hornady hpbt over adi 2208 worked great for me. 95gr sst when others run out
    chubby likes this.

northdude
    im using 85gr sierras and 2209 what you can do for your coal and what i do for all my rifles and it seems to work except for mil chambers is get an empty case thats been fired in your rifle neck or fl size it what ever you are doing and just start a pill in the case then put it in your rifle and chamber it and close the bolt then eject he round put your seating die in the press and wind the middle seating depth thing out put the round you just had in your rifle in the press and lower the lever as if your seating a pill it should go all the way down with no resistance leave the leaver down and wind the seating depth thing down untill you feel it touch the bullet youll probably see the leaver move a tiny bit raise lever and wind depth thing down half a turn and that should get you pretty close to a good length i use a vivid and write on the case what it is and save it with my dies for setting up the seating die if i need to in future pretty unscientific but it works
    chubby, Woody and Russian 22. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    im using 85gr sierras and 2209 what you can do for your coal and what i do for all my rifles and it seems to work except for mil chambers is get an empty case thats been fired in your rifle neck or fl size it what ever you are doing and just start a pill in the case then put it in your rifle and chamber it and close the bolt then eject he round put your seating die in the press and wind the middle seating depth thing out put the round you just had in your rifle in the press and lower the lever as if your seating a pill it should go all the way down with no resistance leave the leaver down and wind the seating depth thing down untill you feel it touch the bullet youll probably see the leaver move a tiny bit raise lever and wind depth thing down half a turn and that should get you pretty close to a good length i use a vivid and write on the case what it is and save it with my dies for setting up the seating die if i need to in future pretty unscientific but it works
    If its sized back down and you start a projectile just a little and chamber it and it does jam agaisnt lands wouldnt it be more likely to get stuck in barrel then push back into case?i sore a method they other day where they removed the firing pin to give no resistance on bolt what so ever and work down in 5 thou lots until theirs no tention on bolt as it starts freeing up they went down to 1 thou taking note of the coals as your working down then when it freed right up they took the last measurement called it lands and wrote that down and worked back from their with jump timly but i see gow it worked

Gone but not forgotten
    Ok so what iv got is a Tikka T3x with a 1:10 twist , have been through the ADI website n have quiet a good idea where i need to start with the load ladders , with the COAL i am pritty much limited to the length of the magazine , i havent measured the lands yet but will do once the lockdown is over and done with , so its real interesting to talk to guys that have been ther done that , i was going to to start around the 85 gr 87gr area but seeing what some people are useing i need to be up bullet weight , so yeh real interesting talkin to guys about this , now im back to the drawing board n will try the heavier projectiles

Don't go too heavy, my 1:10 twist couldn't stabilise the 103gr ELD-X.
    chubby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    If its sized back down and you start a projectile just a little and chamber it and it does jam agaisnt lands wouldnt it be more likely to get stuck in barrel then push back into case?i sore a method they other day where they removed the firing pin to give no resistance on bolt what so ever and work down in 5 thou lots until theirs no tention on bolt as it starts freeing up they went down to 1 thou taking note of the coals as your working down then when it freed right up they took the last measurement called it lands and wrote that down and worked back from their with jump timly but i see gow it worked
    Im thinking just size the brass so 4 - 5 mm of the neck is sized back to factory , ul get less resistance n the projectile will press in2 the case rather than the barrell , but also use a case without a primer n should take away the hassell of removing the firing pin ( BUT i am no expert n have done this only once )

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    For my rifle (Brno ZKK601) and aiming for 0.02 off the lands, COAL is 2.66 inches for the eld-x, 2.64 for the 100gr Prohunter, and 2.56 for the 85gr hpbt Gameking. Sierra manual uses 2.65 for both the 100 and 85, but by my measurements I'd be jammed into the lands with the 85gr at that length.
    My loads are using Norma cases and Federal primers.
    Which 1 did ya prefer ? Heavier 100 grainers ?

northdude
    ive never been able to get 100gr to shoot in my savage 80 85 seems to be where its at for mine i leave the primer out as well
    chubby likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Which 1 did ya prefer ? Heavier 100 grainers ?

Any of the three would do the job, but I like the 90gr eld-x. It's very accurate and performed well on targets out to 550m and gongs to 860m.
    chubby likes this.