Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 243 varmint projaectiles

243 varmint projaectiles

Anyone got good recommendations for 243 varmint projectiles? I've been using nosler 55 grain hollow points, went by noslers load data pushing somewhere between 3500-4000 fps but groups where 2 inch at best, ain't good for small game. Compared to my sub moa 100 grain loads getting 2800 fps. I tried trailboss and with 15 grain accuracy was much better but range was lacking, only good for 50m. I need something that gets out passed 100m with sub moa accuracy.
    Last edited by Three O'Three; 11-07-2021 at 09:22 PM.

why would you ONLY push 55grn to 3000fps??? sort of defeats the purpose of using 55grn in 243
    just about ANY 243 load should be close to inch and well and truely minute of rabbit at 200 yards
    pick projectile that says varmit on the box and load them up...plenty heaps of options,most under 90grn loads are targeted at varmit end of spectrum,plenty of above 80grn are good on big stuff too.
    Synthetic and mimms2 like this.

Mate, something is wrong there.

.243 Win with a 55gr should be 3600-4000 fps.

Have you made a typo?
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Micky Duck likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

hornady 75grn v-max. Used full load of 2208 sends them out at 3400fps and nails varmits out to 500m with a good scope.
    shooternz and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Mate, something is wrong there.

.243 Win with a 55gr should be 3600-4000 fps.

Have you made a typo?
    Yes your right. I was looking at the wrong data when writing this post. Will edit and correct.

Caretaker
    87 g V- Max

Or

Nosler 95g Ballistic Tip
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

northdude
    I think I'm using 85gr sierras haven't had the 243 out for ages with the ones I've had I've always had good results with these

I cringe when I hear people using trailboss with jacketed projectiles, may as well just load solid lumps of metal you won't get any expansion. It's good with cast bullets but a waste with anything else in my opinion.
    Yes in the 243 you should get way more velocity with 55 gr projectiles, your figures are more like what youd expect to get for a 223 even then they're a bit light.
    Oh I see you have corrected it and I guess you don't have access to a chrony. Just be aware Book figures rarely match real world measurement due to differing barrel lengths, leades, and bore and chamber dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    I cringe when I hear people using trailboss with jacketed projectiles, may as well just load solid lumps of metal you won't get any expansion. It's good with cast bullets but a waste with antyping else in my opinion.
    Yes in the 243 you should get way more velocity with 55 gr projectiles, your figures are more like what youd expect to get for a 223 even then they're a bit light.
    They left big holes in a couple of turkeys I tried them out on, so expansion wasn't a problem. But had to get within 50 meters to make shots connect.

Ive got a couple hundred 75gr vmax sitting idle, theyd be perfect
    Micky Duck likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post
    Anyone got good recommendations for 243 varmint projectiles? I've been using nosler 55 grain hollow points, went by noslers load data pushing somewhere between 3500-4000 fps but groups where 2 inch at best, ain't good for small game. Compared to my sub moa 100 grain loads getting 2800 fps. I tried trailboss and with 15 grain accuracy was much better but range was lacking, only good for 50m. I need something that gets out passed 100m with sub moa accuracy.
    87gn Vmax, devastating on wallabies. Get them going 3200fps over 2206H no problem.
    shooternz and Micky Duck like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    87gn Vmax, devastating on wallabies. Get them going 3200fps over 2206H no problem.
    Absolutely devastating on goats too, shot at a bit over 200 yards, it just smashed it.

I was keen to see how the bullet performed so cut a front shoulder off and opened it up, holy hell!

Massive damage, everything on the inside of it was liquified, you could just pour the whole insides out of it.

I got some 55 gr BT of a friend for the 243 and loaded a mild load of 41.5gr of AR 2208 for 3360 fps , it shot a 19 mm group which wasn't to bad . On the internet I found the max load for 2208 was 45 grs which would push them along at 3800- 3900 fps I would be thinking.
    Carbine and northdude like this.