Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By 300_BLK
  • 1 Post By csmiffy
  • 1 Post By stevodog
  • 1 Post By csmiffy
  • 2 Post By csmiffy

Thread: 25-303 cases

25-303 cases

One of my projects is a 25-303.
    I have managed to get a Simplex Master neck die that does need a couple of parts. The spindle that holds the expander ball has a damaged thread and the ball/decapping pin is missing. I would suggest the thread came loose and the ball kicked over. But I digress.
    The question is that I still need a bullet seating die, and have to buy parts unless I can get away with just using the neck sizing die to form new cases,
    I would be better off obtaining a forming die and a seating die and go from there instead of refurbishing the neck die. The bits from the full length would probably fit the neck or I get the vice type and only use the neck sizer once I get going which is ideal for the 303 type cases anyway
    I am of the impression that the simplex die are the only type that can size 303 cases to 25 cal in one pass. Ones like lyman need to use a 270ish die for the first pass before going all the way.
    They also apparently will sell dies separately so depending on cost anything is possible.
    Didn't really want to get in the hole to much with this one because it doesn't shoot that well at the moment. Hoping its bedding and a couple of other things but if not I've got a bunch of dies with no use to me and rifle that needs rebarrelling.
    Thoughts?

Hey mate buy a Hornady 270 sizing die or neck sizing die and then a hornady .25 neck sizing die.

Failing that look on https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/sea...oduct&q=25-303

Simplex are great to deal with as well they really helped me.

Reloading data can be found in nick harveys manual or i can get it for you.

F
    Warm Barrels!

You may be able to make a pin from a small hss drill bit.

@300_BLK
    Not wrong about helpful and I may just get back in touch with her and se what she reckons.
    Very good at prices etc when I was checking up on bit, but at the time I didn't realise the thread on the spindle was so naff.
    it starts to make a die set more cost effective. By the time I buy all the bits to fix it plus the albeit cheap price I paid for it its would've almost been cheaper to buy a new one but I did help someone out by buying it so that's a good thing.
    I am looking at 270 reloading gear but not anytime soon.
    if you can assist with the reloading data for a start point that would be very helpful

Will pull it up @csmiffy
    Warm Barrels!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  2.35 MB

Views: 214
Size:  2.11 MB

Views: 297
Size:  2.13 MB
    csmiffy likes this.
    Warm Barrels!

Nice-Thank you
    300_BLK likes this.

Banned
    I've got a form, fl size and seat die...yours for $60. I think I have a case length trimmer that is a combo of 303 case holder and shortened 257roberts insert
    Woody likes this.

@stevodog you old dog you.
    300_BLK likes this.

Banned
    Did you lop some barrel off? Be interesting if it shoots..Hugh Bradley said the barrel was poked though

I took about 40mm off and recrowned. Didn't think it was that bad otherwise. Way better than my 303. Going to find out I suppose
    The bedding is no good in that it pulls the action down at the back after the front screw is done up and the back scope base is a little off,
    Once Ive sorted those out I'll try some ammo and make a judgement call.
    Micky Duck and stevodog like this.