Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

250 savage 100gr projectile 1-14 twist?

Hi,
    is any one on here loading for a 250 savage with a 1-14 twist. I know the twist rate is not suitable for 100gr bullets in general but I know some people do have success with some types of 100gr projectile, I think shorter flat base bullets have been mentioned in the past.

Does anyone on here load 100gr in 1-14 successfuly? If so what brands and types have worked out for you

I realise trial and error is the only way to know for sure I’m just trying to narrow down the options to the most likely of success to try first. It gets expensive buying box’s of 100 pills just to find on the first shot the bullet goes through the target sideways. On a side note if anyone is looking for some 25cal 100gr Sierra matchkings i know where some are going cheap

Thanks

Used 80gr Barnes, always shot and killed well.

Hi @6.5, after measuring a few projectiles and running them through the JBM Stability Calculator I came up with the following figures.

100 gr Sierra Pro Hunter 1620 (now discontinued) 1.073 marginal stability at 2800 fps
    100 gr Remington Core Lokt 1.119 marginal stability at 2800 fps
    90 gr Sierra Game King HP 1615 1.162 marginal stability at 3000 fps
    87 gr Sierra Spitzer Soft Point 1610 1.321 stable at 3000 fps

The 87 gr Sierra was originally designed as a varmint bullet but it will handle deer at 250 Savage or 257 Roberts velocity. I have shot a few deer with this projectile from my 257 Roberts out to a range of around 250 metres.

Lovely litle calibre, much underrated, 87 grain will about the best you will get away with. You will neeed a long shank and flat base bullet

Thanks for that Tech I might have to check out this Jbm stability calculator for myself sounds interesting.
    I am currently using 87gr hot core just as a starting point to get the gun going, I’m sure it would be fine on goats and sika in general, but I thought I better get some better constructed bullets for the roar.

Mimms2 a few years ago I was going to build a 250 savage with a 1-10 twist to shoot 100gr bullets. I came across a cheap gun on a shops website that had been sitting there for years. I asked them to check the twist rate which they told me the did and it was a 1-10. So I bought it fairly cheap as it’s not the prettiest thing around the first thing I did was check the twist rate to find out it’s actually 1-14 so a couple of angry emails later i had a very cheap rifle and a very decent store credit.

100gr is not actually heavy for the caliber the guy who designed it wanted it to have a 1-10 twist and use 100gr pills so it would be a reliable hunting caliber unfortunately he was over ruled by marketing hype as with a 87gr projectile it was the first commercial cartridge to reach 3000fps (early 1900’s) hence the original name 250-3000 unfortunately the projectiles they were using where effectively varmint bullets at high speed that had less than ideal performance on game so the cartridge got a bad name and faded away as the newer cartridges where developed.
    With a good 100gr pill it would very good for general hunting which is why I would like to run the heavier bullet. Although the 87 will work too if all else fails

Thanks

Greetings 6.5,
    A .250 Savage with a 14 inch twist sounds like a very interesting rifle. Would you mind sharing some details?
    Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Yeah I figured it would be about on par with the 303-25.

87gn is hardly undergunned. But I see speer do a 120gn hot-cor or a 100gn hot-cor or HP, or as suggested, hornady RN, 117gn. You may find yourself going backwards on velocity to get an accuracy node, or they may just not stabilise at all.
    All hale the 303-25. A 90 gr Sierra pill through a 12-1 twist @ almost 3000fps. Not to be sneezed at.

Hi Grandpamac, it’s really nothing special just a rough ole 788 that someone’s rebarelled into 250 savage. Has quite a short barrel I haven’t measured it but guess about 18in heavy sporter contour came threaded.
    Thanks

Sounds special to me. in decades of wandering around in the Kawekas I think I have come across just one other hunter using the .250 - 3000. His had a short barrel on a Remington 600 I think. We didn't talk about twist though.
    Grandpamac.

I've been lucky enough to pick up a lovely short action Oberndorf Mauser from a good friend (and forum member) with a Krieger 1/10 twist barrel, groups 110 accubonds into a finger nail size group.

I managed to pick up a box (almost full) of the old aussie 87gr super projectiles really cheap to try in my 25/303 when it finally gets going. Sooner or later I have to finish one project instead of getting distracted and getting bits for others lol
    I know they didn't drive them that fast back in the day but were meant to be a great roo and goat projectile so probably not that tough. If it doesn't stabilise anything else it might do these ok. something to consider for yours but most likely the other 87gr jobbies will be fine.