Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Kiwi Greg

Thread: 260 load, transition 140gr AMAX to ELD

260 load, transition 140gr AMAX to ELD

Due to the discontinuation of the 140gr AMAX I'm having to get a new load for my 260 using the new 140gr ELD-Ms.
    The AMAX shot really well out of my rifle and I was hoping I could just do my exact same reload but using the new bullet.

What I ended up doing was using brand new Lapua brass, a different primer and the new bullet, but used the same seating depth and charge of 2209.
    I've attached a picture of two groups from each load,
    The AMAXs were 3 shot groups (only had 6 rounds left) groups were .540" at 120yards and .270", under .5moa is the norm for this load.
    The ELD-Ms were 4 shot groups, first was 1.150" and the second 0.780"
    As you can see my shooting got better as the session went along (could've been due to having thoroughly cleaning my barrel).

Wanting to get some feedback on what my next step should be with the ELD-Ms.
    Should I keep the charge the same and try different seating depths?
    Or should I try changing the charge weight?
    Was thinking of playing with the seating depth first, the rifle is a Tikka T3 and the rounds are loaded to mag length, will be happy to but the longer bolt stop and buy a longer magazine if the projectiles like being closer to the lands.

Cheers

Name:  260 target.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  139.5 KB

I still have plenty of 140 Amaxes for $70 per box

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I still have plenty of 140 Amaxes for $70 per box
    Thanks, but I've already started investing in the new bullet and may as well change now as I will have to in the near future anyway.

Plus the ELDs look super cool with the translucent red tip, if I can't be the part may as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Thanks, but I've already started investing in the new bullet and may as well change now as I will have to in the near future anyway.

Plus the ELDs look super cool with the translucent red tip, if I can't be the part may as well look the part.
    Yeah only the first ones have the sexy translucent red tip, the rest have the boring red tip, quite a shame really

Hi Beetroot

I've just started shooting same caliber in a tikka. Just working on a load using Berger 140's. Have modified bolt stop and magazine to allow seating out closer to lands. From what I've gleaned accuracy will improve.

I'd probably try -/+ .3gn and see how that goes, then pick one & tweak the seating depth.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I have 5 boxes here if you change your mind, a fair bit of shooting

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    I'd probably try -/+ .3gn and see how that goes, then pick one & tweak the seating depth.
    Cheers,
    I'm thinking that you are right, in theory I shouldn't need much tweaking to find an accurate load.
    With a bit of luck one of them will shoot well enough I can keep the bullets seated at mag length.