Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By chainsaw
  • 1 Post By nor-west
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 3 Post By southernman
  • 2 Post By 257weatherby

Thread: 264 win mag projectiles

264 win mag projectiles

at the computer and should be doing something else but ah well.......
    while this project is a long way off (barrel not even screwed into action and not happening for yonks), I should really be chipping away at bits and bobs like i did for the 270 project (almost there). If is see good deals on things i will accumulate for later
    I don't play with these and unless stuff changes, just wont shoot enough to go through hundreds of rounds.
    Once its sorted that will be me. Got to be able to do 0 to 400, maybe further at a pinch
    Top 4-5 projectiles i should be looking at. 130 accubonds seem to get a bit of a rap so they were in the mix
    @300_BLK you had a good run with the gamechangers and the GMX?
    @257weatherby you did some stuff with the 130-140 bergers?
    Oh and the barrel is a 1-9. some of the projectiles i was considering like the barnes lrx and 142gr ABLR aren't recommended for that twist.
    Might need some guidance with the reloading once this gets off the ground as well. I have no powder yet so cant afford to drop hundreds of bucks on different ones. Pick one of the most likely candidates like H1000 or possibly RL33. Might have to do double duty in the 270 but don't take that as a given.
    Anyway this is about the bullets.
    Cheers

for 0 -400 yard I'd go the good old 140gn Partitions. Might have crap BC by today's standards but at 264WM speeds they'll be excellent performers on game. I'd also look at 143 ELDx's (if you can get them ??), maybe a bit fragmentary up close but past 100 yards should do the job.
    csmiffy likes this.

The partitions do seem to get a good write-up for them, probably why the accubonds do so well. Bit better BC but still meant to hold together ok

2213sc and Sierra 140 gamekings
    csmiffy likes this.

Banned
    Accubonds for any go-fast rounds
    csmiffy likes this.

Yep, I run 130 AB in my .264 win, 3200 ish, seams to work well enough, I bought a box of Nosler trophy factory 130 AB and got 1" group at 200m, 140gr bergers and Hornady weren't as good, One problem with the .264 win, if you play around too much, with load development, you might have burnt most of the barrel life out, (1000) rounds.
    I also use a partion 125gr, these lay deer down, like the hand of god, right now, right there, ruin a lot of meat thought.
    I intend to try 160gr round nose, next time, I've been shooting these in a 6.5x54 MS, and have now seen 2 moose shot with them, (6.5-06) penetration is measured in Feet, and lovely mushrooms.
    I probably consider a 140-145gr if starting over, likely a bonded/partion/hotcore, I not over interested in dialing and long range, 400m is plenty far enough, and given there are things, that bite and claw here, reliable performance, near or far, is my preference.
    chainsaw, Moa Hunter and csmiffy like this.

@csmiffy you didn't mention what your shooting? Reds, fallow, japs, Thar?

I have had good experience with the 140gr bullets and RL33, 3200-3300 fps easy. You do need to clean regularly as its a fair bit of powder down a small bore and you can get carbon rings like the 28N was prone to.

I have shot the most game with the 140gr SST and have switched to the 143 ELDX but yet to shoot anything larger than a fallow. Ballistically speaking your shooting a long barreled 270 so they can be pretty flat.

I have switched over to 120gr GMX now as they love to go fast and have always worked as advertised. I don't have access to my load data ATM but IIRC I was getting some screaming velocity with AR2217 (3450ish) but backed them off 100 fps as the load was too hot for summer.

In terms of the Sierra GC I find them a bit hard for the lighter stuff which is the majority of what I hunt (fallow, sika, goats).

I'm considering a Howa 6.5 PRC as they look cheap and accurate, but a 6.5 STW might be next when this barrel is gone.

I have 450 shots down the tube and it still holds 1/4 moa from a bench or prone.

Avoid the 147 ELD as they explode before getting to the target.

Here is a red spiker, 375m held dead on with a 1.5" high zero at 100m. 140 SST doing 3150fps, both shoulders top of the heart and double lunged. Bang flop.

Name:  Cropped.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  1.83 MB
    Last edited by 300_BLK; 16-11-2020 at 04:41 PM.
    Warm Barrels!

@300_BLK there is no sika hunting anywhere in the future for me. All south island stuff. Just about guarantee mainly reds with the odd fallow thrown in probably
    Between my knees and my fitness, the "Up" word is a bit evil to me now and I never got the tahr bug but you never know on those ones. One day might start hunting with someone into them but doubt I'll be doing that soon either. Not kitted up at all.
    No rush on load data. miles away yet-still kitting up the 270.
    @southernman the 125 partitions do get a good mention here and there also. You have also mentioned about barrel life. Once a load is sorted a barrel will last me yonks

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    at the computer and should be doing something else but ah well.......
    while this project is a long way off (barrel not even screwed into action and not happening for yonks), I should really be chipping away at bits and bobs like i did for the 270 project (almost there). If is see good deals on things i will accumulate for later
    I don't play with these and unless stuff changes, just wont shoot enough to go through hundreds of rounds.
    Once its sorted that will be me. Got to be able to do 0 to 400, maybe further at a pinch
    Top 4-5 projectiles i should be looking at. 130 accubonds seem to get a bit of a rap so they were in the mix
    @300_BLK you had a good run with the gamechangers and the GMX?
    @257weatherby you did some stuff with the 130-140 bergers?
    Oh and the barrel is a 1-9. some of the projectiles i was considering like the barnes lrx and 142gr ABLR aren't recommended for that twist.
    Might need some guidance with the reloading once this gets off the ground as well. I have no powder yet so cant afford to drop hundreds of bucks on different ones. Pick one of the most likely candidates like H1000 or possibly RL33. Might have to do double duty in the 270 but don't take that as a given.
    Anyway this is about the bullets.
    Cheers
    Wouldn't go back there again, .270 is plenty enough for any NZ game, if you want laser flat shooting, go the 110 AB or TTSX in your 6.8/06.
    Micky Duck and csmiffy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Wouldn't go back there again, .270 is plenty enough for any NZ game, if you want laser flat shooting, go the 110 AB or TTSX in your 6.8/06.
    I am inclined to agree somewhat, but that is the barrel I ended up with to go on my P14 project.
    Was looking for a good 303 one and ended up with that, so down that rabbit hole lol.
    Be nice if there was just a little more choice in ammo.
    Not much to pick from. If you get the rest its dear as poison