Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By grandpamac
  • 2 Post By matagouri
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: .270 Seating Die Modified??

Bos

.270 Seating Die Modified??

Just come across a micrometer adjustment to fit a 6.5 Hornady seating die in my box of bits and pieces. Problem is that my 6.5 seating die is an RCBS which has a completely different adjustment shaft.
    I also have a .270 RCBS seating die. So what Im thinking is that my precision engineer mate could modify the top end of the .270 die and fit the Hornady micrometer, given that .270 is 6.85mm anyway

Any thoughts??

Quote Originally Posted by Bos View Post
    Just come across a micrometer adjustment to fit a 6.5 Hornady seating die in my box of bits and pieces. Problem is that my 6.5 seating die is an RCBS which has a completely different adjustment shaft.
    I also have a .270 RCBS seating die. So what Im thinking is that my precision engineer mate could modify the top end of the .270 die and fit the Hornady micrometer, given that .270 is 6.85mm anyway

Any thoughts??
    Sorry Bos,
    Can't recommend that. With due respect to your precision engineering mate what you would have is a cobbled together die that you could not trust. Best swallow hard and get the correct die if that is what you want. Could save a lot of disappointment in the long run.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Bos and dannyb like this.

"If" your looking for a better die to improve run out/ better accuracy,, bite the bullet and get a Redding competition style seater or Forster Ultra micrometer seater. Check out their design, they have a sliding chamber for bullet alignment plus the micrometer style adjuster....
    Bos and dannyb like this.

so what are you hopeing to achieve by doing so????
    improove run out...start seating,spin 180 degrees then complete stroke....
    seating depth...start long,seat,measure....screw deeper,seat and measure again till depth is desired.....
    point being the flashasmichaeljackson dies arent going to do bugger all that you cant do with standard ones.
    Bos likes this.