Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Kelton
  • 1 Post By nor-west
  • 1 Post By mawzer308
  • 1 Post By Tahr
  • 4 Post By bunji
  • 2 Post By bunji

Thread: 270 WSM - powder options

270 WSM - powder options

Team,

My farther in law has asked me to work up a load for his rifle given the increasing difficulty in getting his preferred factory ammo.

Ignoring the current supply issues what do people consider to be the ‘go to’ powders in the 270 WSM?

I have V N165 on hand and use it in my 280AI with good results and that maybe where I start unless there are better suited powders for the job that are readily available.

Projectile will be the 145 ELDX.

my local has absolutely no powder left but 2217 was one of the last powders they did have. I would think it'd do well in the wsm and you might be able to find it down their with more stores to look I used reloader 26 in mine but I'm guessing that's now pretty scarce
    Hayden C likes this.

IMR 7977
    Hayden C likes this.

Ar2213sc (H4831) or ar2217 (h1000), both will work well with the 145.
    Hayden C likes this.

A lot of powders work ok. I use R17, R26, 2225 and 2217

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center

N165 looks ok: https://forum.nosler.com/threads/270...d-vvn165.8692/
    Hayden C likes this.

I brought my 270WSM Winchester Extreme Weather while l was guiding in OZ as it was offered to me at a price l could not refuse & have grown to love it .I have used it for hunting around the world ,so have had to get use to trying any bloody thing l could get in far off places .Here is some info l dug up from my old load books, for a mate just the other day as he was looking at a X bolt going cheap .

In my rifle l have used with success AR2217,AR2209 with good velocities & low pressure even when used in hot climates. A couple of loads l use chosen for the accuracy/Vel sweet spots .

Barnes 130gr TSX
    AR2217 pushed along at 3150 fps

Barnes 130gr TTSX
    AR2209 3180 fps

Both shoot into 14/17mm

Sierra 130gr Gameking SP,BT
    AR2217 doing just under 32000 fps
    3 shots into 12mm

Hodgdon H1000 which 2 mates that had Browning X Bolts in 270WSM put me on to due to how well they shot with it

150 Gr Hornady SST pushed a long at 3100fps/ great hunting load & accurate

150 Gr. Berger VLD pushed a long at 3140 fps/ very accurate

Accurate MagPro

130 Gr. Barnes Triple Shock, pushed a long at 3400 fps /Devastating hunting load for NZ shoots into 19mm

140 Gr. Nosler AccuBond , pushed a long at just over 3400 fps/Great all round hunting load for NZ shoots into 17mm

These are what l mainly used here & in Oz for years RL 17/RL19/RL22

Barnes 130 TTSX BT

RL19 doing 3220fps very accurate

RL17 doing the same but roughly 4grn less

140 TSX BT

RL 19 doing just over 3140fps very accurate 12mm

150 TSX FB

RL22 doing just under 2970 good hunting load 23mm

I have no idea what is still available after the latest Component Apocalypse, as being that old l have seen it all happen before ,as soon as the panty wetting started off a couple of years ago ,l sold a 20HP out board l had sitting in the shed & spent a few Grand stocking up on all the good shit my rifles like to add to the gear l already had .
    us
    Hope info helps, main thing is like the 270 one of the things l like about it is it is very forgiving as far as what they like & it also shoots various Bullet weights to easy tracked POI changes .
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Thanks all, lots of good info to digest here.

An online search of the usual suspects confirms that finding any of the abovementioned powders right now is going to be next to impossible.

I suspect there may be powders out there that are better suited to the WSM than V N165 but having on hand might just dictate the way forward.

@bunji I stocked up years ago on powder and projectiles to see the barrel out in my 280AI so have been largely unaffected by the current supply issues. I just hope there is an opportunity for him to replace what gets used before I need it…..

@Hayden C Well let us know how you go , before xmas one of the counter jumpers in the removed TM auction thread was saying they were told there were containers of ADI due in the second week of Feb, last l saw ?
    dannyb and Borris like this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan