Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 284 brass ..... why not.

284 brass ..... why not.

An idea or question for all you fellow 284 converts - brass, yes can get & neck up 6.5x284 brass, but wouldn't it be nice to not have to bother with that.
    If there's enough interest perhaps we could get a bulk import of 284 brass & access reasonable costs.
    Seems that brass costs in general have jumped a lot past year or 2.
    Perhaps some other member who knows about import permits might like to chime in to.
    GWH likes this.

Just grab that 100 norma on here for $350
    veitnamcam and GWH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Nah not for me!! When I got a .284 I found a packet of Winchester .284 Brass for sale at one sports shop for $60 and 2 packets of factory Winchester .284 for $30 something each, so I'm set and that lot was a heck cheaper than $350 for the same amount of brass!!!

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    An idea or question for all you fellow 284 converts - brass, yes can get & neck up 6.5x284 brass, but wouldn't it be nice to not have to bother with that.
    If there's enough interest perhaps we could get a bulk import of 284 brass & access reasonable costs.
    Perhaps some other member who knows about import permits might like to chime in to.
    Yeah id be interested for sure. Bertram makes it for 284win (ive recently been talking to him re another cartridge i have thats hard to get brass for) but his agents in NZ are Deadeyes, so he may not be able to deal direct etc.
    chainsaw likes this.

Yeah/Nah ... that's what prompted my post.

I have permits

I found some 284 Norma brass over in the States for $179 per 100, assuming a few were brought in freight would be around $20 so say $200 USD

So by the time you add the exchange rate & gst that is around $310 with out brokers fees & any profit, so suddenly its not so cheap aye.....

You could get Bertram brass but my experience has been its pretty average, quality, weight & consistency wise

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I have permits

I found some 284 Norma brass over in the States for $179 per 100, assuming a few were brought in freight would be around $20 so say $200 USD

So by the time you add the exchange rate & gst that is around $310 with out brokers fees & any profit, so suddenly its not so cheap aye.....

You could get Bertram brass but my experience has been its pretty average, quality, weight & consistency wise
    Yes i have heard similar

I thought Remington or Winchester did 284 ? Or used to ?

I thought Remington or Winchester did 284 ? Or used to ?
    They used to, maybe for their own ammo only these days ?

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    They used to, maybe for their own ammo only these days ?
    I have a feeling that Win do a run of it maybe once per year, seems to be very hard to get now. I have been necking up 6.5 Lapua but that cause me issues with one of my rifles and its tight neck chamber etc, i have to neck turn them. Donuts still seem to appear and cause issues. Maybe i should just cough up for the $350 norma stuff on here ;-)

What a pain in the arse cal then aye might as well get a 308
    veitnamcam and GWH like this.

What a pain in the arse cal then aye might as well get a 308
    Na just get a Saum

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    GWH likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I have a feeling that Win do a run of it maybe once per year, seems to be very hard to get now. I have been necking up 6.5 Lapua but that cause me issues with one of my rifles and its tight neck chamber etc, i have to neck turn them. Donuts still seem to appear and cause issues. Maybe i should just cough up for the $350 norma stuff on here ;-)
    I had same problem and just fl size now without probs. I'm a basic loader and don't want to know about neck turning.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I had same problem and just fl size now without probs. I'm a basic loader and don't want to know about neck turning.

I am flying to NZ in a week, driving down to south this time, I will have a look in the city (Edmonton) and pick up a bag or two, seams few guys looking.
    veitnamcam, GWH, Nick-D and 2 others like this.